Frustrated With Dell!!

Hope this doesn't end up too long, but here it goes:

Ds17 decided he wanted a Dell laptop for graduation. So when dh got his new job, we decided to let him pick one out (ended up being grauation/18th bday gift becuase of price LOL) Anyway, Dell was having a GREAT sale on one that stated good through 4/24. Then it stated if you used a Dell cc you would save an extra 4%. So on 4/23 I applied for the card and was approved. But it wouldn't give me the extra 4% off so I contacted live chat. They said they didn't know anything about it and it was late (almost midnight) so I decided to wait until I got home from work the next day so I could call and speak to someone. So the next day (4/24) I get home and pull up the computer before calling and the sale is gone! So I call and they say the sale ended 4/23, but I printed out where it stated good through 4/24 But they said too bad, they reserve the right to end a sale blah blah blah... So I emailed every Dell executive I could find an email for (AFTER speaking to SEVERAL supervisors to no avail for HOURS) and filed a BBB complaint. All of which got me no where so I told ds17 NO DELL. Look for a Gateway or any other. But he insisted on the Dell so I gave in and on 4/29 placed an order for another one on sale. Fast forward to 5/6, the laptop arrives and ds17 is excited. So we went ahead and let him have it that night. It was late so basically he only got to open it and look it over, turn it on, but not do anything with it. So the next day he gets home from school and turns it on and it is acting funny at first but starts working ok. Then on 5/8, it quits working completely. So he calls tech support and they say it is a bad hard drive and want to mail him a new hard drive for him to put in. I say NO WAY! I paid extra for at home service and an extended warranty etc. but they have no techs in our small town area. So I tell them then they need to send us a replacement laptop, brand new not refurbished just like the original. Well, after 3 hours on the phone we were told no, the only thing they could do was send us a new hard drive or we could return the laptop for a refund. They said then you can reorder it, but I told them no, I can't because it was a one day special sale that we bought and it would cost a lot more now for the same laptop. Was basically told too bad. I am sooooo mad right now!! I spent $1300 on a laptop that after 2 days does not work and now they want us to fix it ourselves when we paid for the extra warranty!! And we don't have a land line phone so every time I call, it uses my cell minutes up! So I'm off to my mom's later to use their phone to call some more. GRRRRR!!!

Sorry so long, just needed to vent!!

Wow, I'm really sorry this is happening to you, they should have told you when you were buying it that there were no support people in your area. In the least they should refund you the home service! Hope everything works out!

Wow- that stinks- I bought a refurb inspiron last year and immediately got the "blue screen of death" when I turned it on. I called them, and they sent out a replacement right away, but they sent a brand new one with Vista (which would be nice except Vista does not work with my work programs) so I called them back again and they sent me out the correct one. So I am not sure why they are being so uncooperative with you? I did not purchase the at home warranty or anything like that. They did want me to try and uninstall Vista and install the XP on my own during the first replacement but I told them no way because they said they would not support it then. Good luck getting this worked out!

So sorry you are going through all of this. I personally never had any problems with Dell and recommended them to my sister. She in turn has had nothing but problems with them. They never wanted to return the full amount of money to her when she sent her laptop back. So, just be careful. I did have a problem with a sale price on an xbox 360 I bought from them. They weren't going to give me the full sale price. I just wouldn't give up until they gave me what I wanted. I was on the phone with them for a long time. Be persistent.

My hubby had his laptop arrive (over a year ago) with a dead hard drive. They sent out another that day. It just popped right out and the new one slid right in. I know the whole principle of paying for a tech to come out. I would demand my money back for that part. They shouldn't sell something they can't provide.

I absolutely HATE Dell..there customer service is deplorable...not just the accent thing

but they do not want to honor their warranties and you have to fight and threaten them

to get anywhere. You also cannot seem to get a supervisor that knows or does anything!!

I am buying a laptop this summer and it will not be a dell!! My DS's got me a new computer

for this past Christmas and knew not to buy Dell.. we got an acer and so far, so good

and we had to replace the mouse and they fed exed me a new one 2 days later, no problems

they had me try to reload the mouse..it didn't work voila sent me a new one

I called again today. First person I spoke with told me sorry, we can't do anything for you. WHAT!?!?!? So I asked for her supervisor. She put me on hold to get them then came back and said the supervisor told her to tell me to call 1-800-xxx-xxxx. It was the same # I called them at!! Then she hung up on me. So I called back. Was transfered 3 times before hanging up and trying a 3rd time. This time when they answered I refused to answer any questions until I spoke with a supervisor. They got one right away. After he reviewed my case he said he agreed with me 100% and would be sending out a new laptop asap with a prepaid lable to send the old one back. This was a call center in Ontario Canada, all the others were in the Phillipines. But they gave me their direct extension in case I have any other problems. I received an email confirmation for the exchange saying it was being built. So we'll see.....

I so feel your pain! Personally, I think that the only way this was resolved so quickly for you (yes, you read that correctly) was that your call got routed to Canada! I ALWAYS get routed to India and have such a long hard road with them.

As for the warranty, I just had to have the left mouse button replaced on my mom's laptop and they sent someone out from over an hour away. They sub contract them. At first they were telling me that I had to send her system in! Obviously I let them know that was not going to happen, and we/she is still under her original one year warranty!

Most of the time I think it would be easier to nail Jell-o to a tree than to deal with Dell!

I've had nothing but problems with my Dell Laptop. (I think there's an old thread of my venting about it). The internal wireless never worked right from the start. I now use a linksys usb wireless adapter that I have rigged up to it.

Someone from Dell was reading the boards that day, and contacted me wanting to help fix it. Between his schedule and my schedule, I was never free to call him when he was available, and he wasn't available when I was free to call. So it never got fixed.

Unfortunately, I would never recommend Dell to anyone, and I will never buy another one again. (In fact, I'm ready for BF so I can ditch this one. LOL)

I so feel your pain! Personally, I think that the only way this was resolved so quickly for you (yes, you read that correctly) was that your call got routed to Canada! I ALWAYS get routed to India and have such a long hard road with them.

Most of the time I think it would be easier to nail Jell-o to a tree than to deal with Dell!

I agree!! All the other people I had talked to were in the Philipines, but as soon as I got lucky to get a person in Canada, no problems!! He even told me he didn't know why they were giving me such trouble, the system was only 2 days old!! I thanked him and told him it was nice to talk to a polite person at Dell for once!! But we'll see once it arrives (I'm still skeptical LOL)

We have a Dell desktop we bought a few years ago and we have not had any problems with it (knock on wood) but I knew better after the deal with the sale being cancelled a day early and them not caring if they lost a customer. But ds17 insisted on a Dell and I gave in :blush: I really just wanted to get him what would make him happy

Well, I checked on the status of the replacment, and it does not show all of the items that are in the original laptop. So I emailed the guy in Canada that I spoke with and asked him about it. He just emailed me back stating he is not able to tell if these itmes are in the replacement or not, but if they are not once we receive it, to call them ASAP. GRRRRR!!! I knew this wasn't going to be that easy!!! Why not just check it before they ship it?!?!

We had the same exact problem with Dell..... I WILL NEVER allow anything from Dell in my house again! I still get mad thinking about it, and it was 2 years ago! Your story is soooo exact to mine.......I found a page (2 years ago) that disgruntled people had shared their experiences...and there were some hilarious quotes....just place the word DELL in for any swear word..."What the Dell?", "Oh, Dell", etc

Just a little humor....I wish you luck. Just make sure you call with ANY problems and get them documented before 20 days are up...then you have a little more luck in getting help. And remember they seem to count the days from when it shipped, not when you actually received it.

I'm sorry that all of you are having problems...I have a Dell laptop that is 2, almost 3 years old and I've never ever had any problems with it. Use it everyday for hours on end and not one bad thing. Yes, I've had to call customer service, but I've also never had problems with them either. All of this having been said, would I buy another Dell...probably not. I think when I purchased it, I used a great coupon and got a decent price for the laptop, but now, they are basically throwaway items priced for cheap. Guilliam...don't give up and when you receive the new laptop...I'd suggest a strongly worded letter to Dell. You are entitled to a price adjustment for your trouble. Don't let them convince you otherwise.

I would return the laptop and never buy from them again. How unfriendly! And there you think that companies care for their customers.

I have HP and I love their customer service. See if your son would consider an HP. I just got a new one and they are so cool looking. Online you cant see the small details and unfortunately they do not have good close ups, but they are very sleek and futuristic looking.

Dell Absolutely Sucks If You Have A Problem. Always Try To Pay With A C/card Like Amer Ex. Any Problems Send It Back, Save Receipts And Then Have Amer/ex Take Back The Money. I Bought A Dell 1815 Dn Fax, Printer , Scanner,copier From Dell But Thru Sams Club. I Got A 4 Year Warranty From Sams For $39.00. Dell Wanted 100s.

I Am Now On My 6th Dn.... All Free. Once They Would Not Give Me A New One But A Refurb. Said No, So They Took It Back. Went To Sams Got Another New One. Companies Like Dell Make You Be Dishonest Just So You Can Get What You Deserve/paid For.

I Have Had To Call Many Times On The 6 Dns And It Goes To Canada. They Are Great, Speak English And Are Not Inclined To Read A Scripted Message Over And Over.

Be Persistant And Bug The Hell Out Of Them

Carry On...

My dell 922 AIO printer just broke. Was debating whether to order the same one or not. My other choice is one DH saw at BB...Brother NFC 240C. I have some GC's for BB that I need to use...so could get that one. anyone have some advice-

Well, I checked on the status of the replacment, and it does not show all of the items that are in the original laptop. So I emailed the guy in Canada that I spoke with and asked him about it. He just emailed me back stating he is not able to tell if these itmes are in the replacement or not, but if they are not once we receive it, to call them ASAP. GRRRRR!!! I knew this wasn't going to be that easy!!! Why not just check it before they ship it?!?!

I sent my original laptop back due to the red paint coming off the cover. When I looked at the specs of the replacement they were not the same either (neither was the price), but I received just what I had on my original laptop. Long story short, wait and see. Hopefully it will all be there.

I sent my original laptop back due to the red paint coming off the cover. When I looked at the specs of the replacement they were not the same either (neither was the price), but I received just what I had on my original laptop. Long story short, wait and see. Hopefully it will all be there.

I'm starting to wonder now if they are just putting it off until my return period is over. It was supposed to ship by 5/16 and it hasn't yet. :confused::mad:

I'm starting to wonder now if they are just putting it off until my return period is over. It was supposed to ship by 5/16 and it hasn't yet. :confused::mad:

Now that would totally suck...and IMO would require a call to the BBB, the attorney general, andy anyone else that you could notify. I am sorry this is happening to you...what a bad experience:(

My dell 922 AIO printer just broke. Was debating whether to order the same one or not. My other choice is one DH saw at BB...Brother NFC 240C. I have some GC's for BB that I need to use...so could get that one. anyone have some advice-

I have had fairly good luck with Brother for laser printers. There ink jets are supposed to have low priced ink, and that is what you want to check first as a printer that is 3 times more expensive but has cheap ink will be much cheaper in the long run. Remember you should be able to get at least 10 sets of ink (if not used often) out of a printer, but if you use it often it could be hundreds of cartriges. So the price of the ink cartridges is very important, and the printer price is not. The ink is more expensive than Dom Perignon, when you calculate it by the ounce. The big thing is if you do not use them often then they will likely clog from sitting. There are programs that will spit out a sheet once a day using all the ink cartridges, and this can some times make them last longer because they wont clog but you will use a lot more ink.

In general all ink jet printers are not very long lasting. I have only heard bad stuff about Dell printers, in fact never have I heard of some one liking one, and I support some Dell equipment. I would suggest Epson, HP, Cannon and Brother in that order from my personal experience. Epson seems to have the best output, and fairly cheap ink available, but do tend to clog. HP is a but more reliable but output is generally not nearly as good, and ink is more. Canon and Brother are some ware between them comparing similar priced units. I don't like AIOs as one part goes bad, then you have to replace the whole thing. I prefer a scanner (they seem to last forever), and printer. I have not had to actually fax something in years, just attach the scan to an email. (gross generalizations, but from my experience working on computers for the past 20 years)

As to the OP, I used to recommend Dell, but can't any more.They used to be supported out of Texas and it was great, but then it got outsourced to India, then to the Philippines soon it will get outsourced back to us as the weak dollar will make it cheaper. I have had good luck with HP and got an old system free third or fourth hand and I called HP for kicks and giggles to see how much the system board was and they said it was covered for 7 years due to a bad batch capacitors, and I had a board for free the next day delivery! They very well may get my business, but really none of the companies seem to stand behind there product except Apple.

In general all ink jet printers are not very long lasting. I have only heard bad stuff about Dell printers, in fact never have I heard of some one liking one, and I support some Dell equipment. I would suggest Epson, HP, Cannon and Brother in that order from my personal experience. Epson seems to have the best output, and fairly cheap ink available, but do tend to clog. HP is a but more reliable but output is generally not nearly as good, and ink is more. Canon and Brother are some ware between them comparing similar priced units. I don't like AIOs as one part goes bad, then you have to replace the whole thing.

thank you for all the helpful info...I went to BB (had 2 GC's to use)-figured I would not not have too much OOP. Purchased the Brother (DH needs fax) - it was the worst printer that I have ever owned/used. It printed like my first printer from the 80's...terrible. So I take it back to BB today..thought they would just put it all back on my Visa..noooo they give me a BB GC and refund the Visa part. So I get home and call Dell to see what they could do for me..could hardley understand this guy (Phillipines).. so Dell is a no go. Would not work with me...guess I will wait to see what BB has the next few weeks.

I get my ink at Staples.(staples reward program.you will get $3.00 credit for each empty ink cartridge that you turn in....limit of 3 per day. also Staples will accept coupons from OM, OD...and there are usually one of those. Can bring the price of ink way down.