Confirmed: CompUSA going out of business in January

Brad

Guest RealLivePrinces
After cheating me out of $50 to fix a virus (I then went home, downloaded a free virus scanner, and it fixed it right away), I have no love at all for this store.

I, for one, LOVE this store! I'm hoping the rumor is false, but it's probably true.

I have bought numerous products from CompUsa that were free after rebate A month ago I bought a laptop for $299...regularly $549 (no rebates required) and with it got a very nice free Epson printer (after rebate...which I have already received). I'm probably headed over there this morning to get a adapter for the notebook I bought for $9.99 after rebates.

I will miss them!

Most of the one's around me dried up when Bestbuy came around. They tried dropping their prices, but had to refund alot of money to people who just brought stuff from them when they overcharged for everything from batteries to Mac's. They couldn't compete and pulled the plug on most of the stores around here.

Looks like it is for real...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20071208/tc_pcworld/140419

From their website

TrainingDuring the next 60-90 days, CompUSA will be closing 126 stores. Our remaining 103 stores, in 68 markets, and our website compusa.com will continue to offer incredible services & prices.

Join our e-mail list: You are a very important customer to CompUSA and we'd like to thank you by sending you cool offers on the latest technology. Join our e-mail list and be the first to receive the latest news, hot reviews, and exclusive offers on a weekly basis. You can tell us which products interest you and we'll customize your e-mail profile. You may change your profile or unsubscribe anytime!

For our customers who have a store near them closing, please see below for details:

Rebates:Effective immediately, customers in closing stores are not eligible for CompUSA rebates, and manufacturer rebates will not be available. If an item was purchased prior to 2/27/07, and qualifies for a rebate, please follow the normal submission instructions located on your rebate form. The closing store will not participate in CompUSA's national ads. However, the closing stores will have their own sales; pretty much every item in the store will be on sale, and the closing stores may have their own ads too. Gift Cards:Gift Cards are valid in all CompUSA stores, including locations that will close. For customers near closing stores, please redeem your Gift Cards within the next 60-90 days. New Gift Cards will not be sold at closing stores. Click here to purchase a CompUSA Gift Card. Services:We will continue to check in ALL service types until the close of business Saturday 3/3/07. This includes Warranty, Non Warranty, TAP & upgrades. Only TAP and instant upgrades will be accepted after Saturday, March 3, 2007. If you have an item that is being serviced at a closing location, that item will be serviced, and you will be contacted by a CompUSA Team Member when it is ready to be picked up. CompUSA Credit Cards:Customers may use their existing CompUSA credit cards to purchase from the closing locations, but no new applications for CompUSA credit cards will be accepted at closing stores. To apply for a CompUSA card, please Click Here. Checks:Closing stores will not accept checks. All credit cards (including Toshiba, Sony and CompUSA cards) and cash are the only forms of payment accepted. Returns:We will accept returns / exchanges at the closing stores for 21 days from 2/27/07. All standard return policy conditions apply. We will also accept returns / exchanges at all current CompUSA stores as explained in our standard return polilcy. After 2/27/07, all sales are final in closing stores. If you no longer have a store in your market, please contact 1-800-CompUSA for return instructions. Service Plans:All TAP (Technology Assurance Plan) Service Plans will remain valid, but only select TAP plans may not be purchased at a closing location. All Carry-In TAP plans will be honored in the following manner:

Carry-In Desktop Repairs will automatically be converted to In-Home Repair, please contact our National Call Center

24 x 7 for service at 1-877-520-TECH (8324)

Carry-In Notebook Repairs will automatically be converted to Facilitation to one of National Service Centers, please contact our National Call Center 24 x 7 for service at 1-877-520-TECH (8324)

Carry-In Replacement Plans will processed through a new Web Service process, please visit http://www.compusa.com/tapexpressexchange

Carry-In Repair Plans will processed through a new Web Service process, Please visit http://www.compusa.com/taprepair

In-Store Pick-Up:INSPU is no longer valid at closing stores. Please place your order online for pick-up at another open store in your area or have it shipped to your home via normal shipping guidelines. Training:We will continue to hold ALL events scheduled in the closing locations for the next 30-45 days. This includes open enrollment, room rentals, testing etc. To locate a Training Center near you, or to schedule a Training class, please call 1-800-TRAIN-80.For additional support or questions: www.compusa.com/help or 1-800-COMPUSA

http://www.compusa.com/specials/storeinfo/default.asp?status=E%2Dmail+preferences+successfully+changed&emailu=mcknight%5Fcolleen%40yahoo%2Ecom

List of stores closing

http://www.compusa.com/locations/closing_stores.asp

Looks like it is for real...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20071208/tc_pcworld/140419

From their website

TrainingDuring the next 60-90 days, CompUSA will be closing 126 stores. Our remaining 103 stores, in 68 markets, and our website compusa.com will continue to offer incredible services & prices.

Join our e-mail list: You are a very important customer to CompUSA and we'd like to thank you by sending you cool offers on the latest technology. Join our e-mail list and be the first to receive the latest news, hot reviews, and exclusive offers on a weekly basis. You can tell us which products interest you and we'll customize your e-mail profile. You may change your profile or unsubscribe anytime!

For our customers who have a store near them closing, please see below for details:

Rebates:Effective immediately, customers in closing stores are not eligible for CompUSA rebates, and manufacturer rebates will not be available. If an item was purchased prior to 2/27/07, and qualifies for a rebate, please follow the normal submission instructions located on your rebate form. The closing store will not participate in CompUSA's national ads. However, the closing stores will have their own sales; pretty much every item in the store will be on sale, and the closing stores may have their own ads too. Gift Cards:Gift Cards are valid in all CompUSA stores, including locations that will close. For customers near closing stores, please redeem your Gift Cards within the next 60-90 days. New Gift Cards will not be sold at closing stores. Click here to purchase a CompUSA Gift Card. Services:We will continue to check in ALL service types until the close of business Saturday 3/3/07. This includes Warranty, Non Warranty, TAP & upgrades. Only TAP and instant upgrades will be accepted after Saturday, March 3, 2007. If you have an item that is being serviced at a closing location, that item will be serviced, and you will be contacted by a CompUSA Team Member when it is ready to be picked up. CompUSA Credit Cards:Customers may use their existing CompUSA credit cards to purchase from the closing locations, but no new applications for CompUSA credit cards will be accepted at closing stores. To apply for a CompUSA card, please Click Here. Checks:Closing stores will not accept checks. All credit cards (including Toshiba, Sony and CompUSA cards) and cash are the only forms of payment accepted. Returns:We will accept returns / exchanges at the closing stores for 21 days from 2/27/07. All standard return policy conditions apply. We will also accept returns / exchanges at all current CompUSA stores as explained in our standard return polilcy. After 2/27/07, all sales are final in closing stores. If you no longer have a store in your market, please contact 1-800-CompUSA for return instructions. Service Plans:All TAP (Technology Assurance Plan) Service Plans will remain valid, but only select TAP plans may not be purchased at a closing location. All Carry-In TAP plans will be honored in the following manner:

Carry-In Desktop Repairs will automatically be converted to In-Home Repair, please contact our National Call Center

24 x 7 for service at 1-877-520-TECH (8324)

Carry-In Notebook Repairs will automatically be converted to Facilitation to one of National Service Centers, please contact our National Call Center 24 x 7 for service at 1-877-520-TECH (8324)

Carry-In Replacement Plans will processed through a new Web Service process, please visit http://www.compusa.com/tapexpressexchange

Carry-In Repair Plans will processed through a new Web Service process, Please visit http://www.compusa.com/taprepair

In-Store Pick-Up:INSPU is no longer valid at closing stores. Please place your order online for pick-up at another open store in your area or have it shipped to your home via normal shipping guidelines. Training:We will continue to hold ALL events scheduled in the closing locations for the next 30-45 days. This includes open enrollment, room rentals, testing etc. To locate a Training Center near you, or to schedule a Training class, please call 1-800-TRAIN-80.For additional support or questions: www.compusa.com/help or 1-800-COMPUSA

http://www.compusa.com/specials/storeinfo/default.asp?status=E%2Dmail+preferences+successfully+changed&emailu=mcknight%5Fcolleen%40yahoo%2Ecom

List of stores closing

http://www.compusa.com/locations/closing_stores.asp

i think that was from early this year when the first set of closings happened...but im sure it applies this time around too...i wonder if they would still carry dvds, & for a cheap price...hmmm

The info above about closings was indeed about the first round, but the link in the post takes you to the new article -

Agam Shah, IDG News Service

Fri Dec 7, 8:00 PM ET

Computer and electronics retailer CompUSA announced on Friday that it would start winding down its retail operations after being acquired by an investment firm, which is looking to sell the company's business and assets.

Gordon Brothers Group is discussing with different parties the sale of stores in key retail markets and CompUSA's other assets, including the Internet retail unit CompUSA.com and technical-support-services business CompUSA TechPro.

The retail stores that don't sell will be shut down, CompUSA said in a statement. The 103 stores will remain open during the holiday shopping season and provide heavy discounts on products.

The sale comes amid the financial struggles of CompUSA's parent company, Mexico-based holding company US Commercial Corp. SA de CV.

During the third quarter of 2007, the company reported a loss of 494.8 million Mexican pesos ($45.7 million) on revenue of 4.6 billion Mexican pesos. The company also reported losses the previous two fiscal years.

In February, CompUSA said it would shut 126 stores as part of a massive restructuring effort in which it received a $400 million cash infusion from an unnamed investor.

FYI, I found no "heavy discounts" so far this season; given their obvious lack of buisness sense, maybe they'll wait until 6PM on Christmas Eve to mark everything down :)

Another article: http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9831235-7.html

CompUSA closes shop

Posted by Erica Ogg

December 7, 2007 4:45 PM PST

Forget Black Friday. For the best deals on gadgets and PCs this holiday season, look no further than your neighborhood CompUSA.

The embattled electronics retail chain was dealt its final blow Friday when it was sold to Specialty Equity, an affiliate of private equity firm Gordon Brothers Group. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed, but the immediate result is that Specialty Equity will close all 103 CompUSA stores in the United States, according to a press release issued late Friday.

Gordon Brothers will "initiate an orderly wind-down" of each of the stores, the company says. That's great news for consumers looking for bargains. CompUSA will remain open through the holiday shopping season, presumably with "Everything Must Go!"-style signs.

It was clear all was not well at the retailer when in March it closed half of its stores due to pressure from bigger chains like Best Buy and Circuit City.

When they closed the 126 earlier this year, they marked up then marked down merchandise (to around normal prices) & did lots of promotions about it being on huge sale. It was really to drive in people who didn't know better, then they shipped what they didn't sell to the stores that stayed open. This time, they cant do that, they wont have any stores open to ship it to #1, and #2 they have already sold the company, so they are going to be fine with actually selling stuff on sale to get rid of it and get what $ they can.

Going to drive the 20 min to one around here and see what if anything is actually going on, have some buddies who can fill me in. Besides, I am looking for a raptor hard drive anyway.

We only have one of these stores about 20 minutes away from us. I just read an article in our local newspaper about them going out of business. Said they are going to do a going out of business sale the rest of the holiday season or something like that.

Anyone go today to see if they had started their "going out of business sale" and if things were really on sale?

My mother went to the one in Holyoke yesterday and they didn't have any signs up or any good sales yet. She is going to keep checking because she likes to buy her computer equipment there. She was disappointed yesterday when I told her they were closing. They will probably wait till after Christmas to start sales.

Our area has already gone through this. They've closed most of the stores here. There are still a few around. I used to love the one by me. It was a great store. It was brand new. Everything was so nice and clean. They put all kinds of money into it. Then closed it down less than a year later. I'm not sure what that was all about. Something about the Good Guys/CompUSA merger. Since our local store closed, I never order anything from them. I used to like to order online and pick up in store.

Tell you what though, 'Comp carried allot of peculiar items that CC/BB didn't carry on their shelves. Several times did the 30mi drive to get exactly what I needed.

luckily in CA, i always had Fry's to buy that kind of item, so CompUSA really had no chance out here.

nowadays you can buy that random item online (unless of course it's an emergency...)

Just to give everyone a quick heads up. I stopped by our local store to poke around. There were signs plastered everywhere stating "up to 20% off most items". Upon looking around I wasn't impressed. After speaking with an associate I was told that the discounts (which were posted above each section) were off of the original manufacturers price, not allready discounted items. The only exception to this was to clearenced DVD's and video games. I did find that a few things were still very good deals such as XBOX 360 systems at 10% off the list price which puts the premium system at $315. They were selling out of these deals very quickly. Other than this the deals were not good. I was also told that there would not be any additional discounts off of floor or open box models. Lastly this employee told me that the sales would last for 8 weeks but from I have read on the internet,it will most likely only last a week or two into January. From what I have read on the net this initial round will last about two weeks and then they will increase their discounts. And I almost forgot, cell phones are 20% off without service contract, not bad.