Specs on secret Laptop

ov3rload

I was so excited about the secret laptop ad that came out!! Anyone know the specs for it? 230 without dealing with rebates! Man is that going to be a crazy buy!!:D

Here is the specs for the one on BB.com, the product code is off by one (listed below is Toshiba A135-S7404)

Product Features

Intel® Celeron® M processor 530 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.73GHz processor speed

512MB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM

15.4" TFT-LCD widescreen display with TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 native resolution; support for 720p

80GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-64MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory; S-video output

CD/DVD media controls for easy one-touch access to movies and music; Internet button conveniently launches default Web browser

5-in-1 bridge media adapter supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital and xD-Picture Card

4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

Built-in Atheros high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps modem

Weighs only 6 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin for lightweight portability; lithium-ion battery

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 8.5, Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more

This is gonna be the laptop that's $230 for black friday. They changed the sku/product number by one, so people can't price match, get angry they just bought a computer a week ago and now it's $470 off, etc. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8547824&type=product&id=1188560179362

Here is the specs for the one on BB.com, the product code is off by one (listed below is Toshiba A135-S7404)

Product Features

Intel® Celeron® M processor 530 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.73GHz processor speed

512MB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM

15.4" TFT-LCD widescreen display with TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 native resolution; support for 720p

80GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-64MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory; S-video output

CD/DVD media controls for easy one-touch access to movies and music; Internet button conveniently launches default Web browser

5-in-1 bridge media adapter supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital and xD-Picture Card

4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

Built-in Atheros high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps modem

Weighs only 6 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin for lightweight portability; lithium-ion battery

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 8.5, Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more

I remember reading somewhere that you should stay away from Celeron processors. Is that true?

It depends on what you are doing.

If youare looking to do some web browsing and perhaps balance your check book you will be fine (upgrade the memory).

If you want to play call of duty you won't be able to.

So I am pretty new at the whole laptop buying thing. I was planning on going with the 399 Sony but now I don't know what to do. Spec's wise would I be better going with the 399 or this one for 229? ANy help would be great.

Spec wise, the $399 laptop will run rings around this $229 laptop. If your budget allows, you will be much happier with the $399 laptop.

So I am pretty new at the whole laptop buying thing. I was planning on going with the 399 Sony but now I don't know what to do. Spec's wise would I be better going with the 399 or this one for 229? ANy help would be great.

You could upgrade it to 1 GB of RAM thus allowing it to move a lot faster. That upgrade will bring the cost of the computer up to $270 but speed wise, it will be much closer to the Sony and will be great for all basic things such as photo editing, using the internet, watching movies, office, and light gaming.

If you have enough money, but the sony, that one is valued around 700 dlls. If you're looking for a computer just to surf the web and make some letters, then the toshiba should fit you well, just upgrade it to 1gb ram and you'll have no problem on running small to medium applications.

I'll have to disagree, I've had a Celeron M processor on my Gateway latptop (black friday offer on 2005) and it still runs great. Of course, everything has its limits, but for school is just perfect.

You have to understand some people's point of view. Some think anything but a C2D processor or an Athlon is junk....mistakenly, sure, but that's their opinion.

Of course, others that slam a Celeron M completely miss the point that the current Celeron M processors found in laptops these days are Core-based cpus. And since this is the Celeron M 530 cpu, it's also 64-bit compatible and has the execute disable bit feature......

Overall, for $200 for the laptop, for what BB usually sells for $599, it's not a bad little laptop.....but you have to take it for what it is. It's NOT a gaming machine (which in some people's eyes makes it junk......) or a heavy duty desktop replacement machine, but for MS Office use (Word, Excel, etc.), internet browsing, watching movies, and the like, this machine will do quite well and suffice one for basic use for quite a long time.