problem with BF ads leaking early

lisamag

i just came for KB toys and i was talking with the manager there. he told me about some of the sales that their going to have on bf. when we spoke about black friday he told me that last yr their ad leaked out and one of the sales was a free item when you bought another toy. well someone from toys r us went in a week before BF and bought up all the free give aways they cleared the whole shelf. then a week after BF they returned all the freebies. i know it's business but i think that was dirty to do. and i think that maybe thats why some of the other stores maybe be upset about the leaking of the ads. it's not to keep the customer from knowing but to keep their competitors from matching, beating or doing dirty tricks.

i posted the story only as an example as to why the stores may protest the leaking of their ads. i don't blame TRU for what one person or group may have done, every store has good and bad stories as well as employies that don't always do the right thing, as a lot of us know.

i just came for KB toys and i was talking with the manager there. he told me about some of the sales that their going to have on bf. when we spoke about black friday he told me that last yr their ad leaked out and one of the sales was a free item when you bought another toy. well someone from toys r us went in a week before BF and bought up all the free give aways they cleared the whole shelf. then a week after BF they returned all the freebies :mad:. i know it's business but i think that was dirty to do. and i think that maybe thats why some of the other stores maybe be upset about the leaking of the ads. it's not to keep the customer from knowing but to keep their competitors from matching, beating or doing dirty tricks like TRU did.

That doesn't make sense? It was b2g1f Fisher Price toys. So someone came in and bought all the FP toys?

That's why, if the management is smart enough, they pull advertised deals and hold them in back until the sale breaks.

the manager i spoke with said he doesn't even know what's going to be on sale yet, heonly told me the hours they were going to open, but if they did do like you said then what about the people that want to buy the items now and not wait for bf? should they loose out and the store loose the sale? i think they should limit what is bought as well as when that person retuned them. that way they wouldn't want to do that again if they got stuck with half of what they bought.

If somebody were going to do this kind of thing, there is no great defense for it. If you want customers to know about the deals, you have to give at least a few days of notice. If you aren't pulling the items off the shelf, nothing would prevent somebody wiping it out on Wednesday afternoon/evening if they really wanted to, right?

How did he know it was a toysrus person? The logic behind that doesnt make since to me, why would someone from a competitor store do that, the people wanting the item would already be at kbtoys that day and not at toysrus when they found out there wasnt a free item available. Toysrus wouldnt be getting anymore business from doing that unless they advertised kbtoy doesnt have any of the free items in stock because we bought them all. Personally it sounds like they pulled the item themselves and restocked it on the shelves after the sale. Plus I am sure they sold the free items for retail price so they didnt have to take a lose and that made their overall sales even better.

The problem wtih pulling all the items off the shelf would be a loss of money to the store in the weeks leading up to BF. I do think that part of the reason the stores do not want their add leaked is because of other stores stealing there sales and also the customers. Look at the peole who say they go the week before buy the item and then take it back on BF.

How did he know it was a toysrus person? The logic behind that doesnt make since to me, why would someone from a competitor store do that, the people wanting the item would already be at kbtoys that day and not at toysrus when they found out there wasnt a free item available. Toysrus wouldnt be getting anymore business from doing that unless they advertised kbtoy doesnt have any of the free items in stock because we bought them all. Personally it sounds like they pulled the item themselves and restocked it on the shelves after the sale. Plus I am sure they sold the free items for retail price so they didnt have to take a lose and that made their overall sales even better.

:gdpoint:

Personally I think most stores have their own way of obtaining ads of competitors, and that way is not by going to Black Friday sites. (Of course I am sure they go to these sites to get customer reaction to the ads.)

The ads are still here, I looked and maybe I missed it. Could you look?

next time i go i'll ask him again about it. he told me they cleaned out the self of the free toy. since the fisher price did have a B2G1F that might have been it. the kb here does carry a large slection of any type of toys since it's not a huge store so it is posible for someone to do that.

KB toys is the only toy store here in this area, toys r us is the next one but it's in a mini mall with k-mart, last yr (in the summer) there were rumors going around that TRU was going to close because of bad sales. every yr since they open kb toys sale out of almost everything in the store, it's left with very very little on the shelves and the windows are basically empty of toys. they always have sales of 1/2 off or freebies so i don't see why they would take a sale item down stairs to sale it later. just 2 weeks ago they had buy 1 get 1 half off on all the video games. i could understand them doing something like that if it was a hot item but i don't think so. as for knowing the person was from TRU no one else would profit from the loss like i said those are the only 2 toy stores, but i will ask him how he knows the next time i go in.

I agree, how does he know it was someone from ToysRUs? If an item was out the week before he should have been able to get more of them in time. And stores always hold back & stock up on things so that they have enough of something for a sale. They wouldn't have had more in a back room or something for a big sale like BF? It doesn't make any sense...

the manager i spoke with said he doesn't even know what's going to be on sale yet

And I know what's going to be on sale there at BF and he doesn't?

And I know what's going to be on sale there at BF and he doesn't?

i'm sure he does know he just wasn't saying and since other customers were around he played it safe and said he didn't know. so how do you know? i liked to know whats going to be on sale, please share.

I suppose this could be used as a valid excuse ,but honestly,even with out Gottadeal or any of the other BF sites, or even the internet,you're still going to have ads leaked and people from certain stores looking to see what their competitors are selling and maybe take advantage of that store before hand...

Still seems like an opportunity to blame poor sales on someone else,other then the actual stores that put these supposed deals together..I'd be willing to bet that if Walmart comes to the table with the same deals they had last year,their sales for BF will be just as poor as last year,if not worse...and then who are they going to point their finger at..

I suppose this could be used as a valid excuse ,but honestly,even with out Gottadeal or any of the other BF sites, or even the internet,you're still going to have ads leaked and people from certain stores looking to see what their competitors are selling and maybe take advantage of that store before hand...

Still seems like an opportunity to blame poor sales on someone else,other then the actual stores that put these supposed deals together..I'd be willing to bet that if Walmart comes to the table with the same deals they had last year,their sales for BF will be just as poor as last year,if not worse...and then who are they going to point their finger at..

I don't know who wal-mart points their finger at, usually the economy, but the ads I have seen this year are not the best so they will not be the only ones with bad sales. And really they don't have much competition to beat right now from the other ads so maybe they will do something good this year.

I don't know who wal-mart points their finger at, usually the economy, but the ads I have seen this year are not the best so they will not be the only ones with bad sales. And really they don't have much competition to beat right now from the other ads so maybe they will do something good this year.

walmart will blame anyone but themselves for bad sales or whatnot. it couldnt be possible that they just have terrilbe prices, rude employees, and dont care about the customer. its gotta be someone elses fault.

Part of that blame should go to KB. I used to work for BBY. We kept all of the BF sale items(atleast the minimum amount listed on the ad) in the back where they could not be sold early. This was a corperate policy. KB should have a similar one.

i just came for KB toys and i was talking with the manager there. he told me about some of the sales that their going to have on bf. when we spoke about black friday he told me that last yr their ad leaked out and one of the sales was a free item when you bought another toy. well someone from toys r us went in a week before BF and bought up all the free give aways they cleared the whole shelf. then a week after BF they returned all the freebies. i know it's business but i think that was dirty to do. and i think that maybe thats why some of the other stores maybe be upset about the leaking of the ads. it's not to keep the customer from knowing but to keep their competitors from matching, beating or doing dirty tricks.

i posted the story only as an example as to why the stores may protest the leaking of their ads. i don't blame TRU for what one person or group may have done, every store has good and bad stories as well as employies that don't always do the right thing, as a lot of us know.

I agree with an earlier poster. I worked in marketing for a wireless company for a few years. We would get competitor offers before they were a twinkling in an ad designers eye from disgruntled employees all the time. KB, TRU, WM, Target, BB, CC...etc. I think they all know what's being offered by each other long before anything gets leaked to the internet and consumer sites like this.

I think it was silly on KB's part to not have any extras in the back. That just seems really strange to me. I can understand not having all of them in the back, but it just seems like common sense to have some stored in the back when you know you are advertising it as a free item a week later.