Sony Laptop & 4gb Flash drives

nosko

Who all is thinking about buying the Sony laptop? Which Model 120gb or 160gb? Is it worth standing there on BF waiting for the "Geek squad" to install anti virus? What about the 4gb Flash drives?

I know ill buy the laptop for sure, don't know if ill upgrade or not. I be picking up at least one 4gb flash drive and probably the laptop memory to upgrade the Sony to 2gbs.

I'm a computer science major, but the max amount of memory that windows vista(The version installed on the Sony) can only handle 2gb of ram. So if you buy the 2gb stick of laptop memory from BB on BF, you have to take out the memory that came with the laptop.(The 2GB memory kit sold on BF at BB for $54.99 should work with the Sony, but the kit is not 1 2gb stick, rather 2 1gb sticks) I just don't know if I will use the extra 40gb of hard drive space and I don't really want to stand there waiting the "geek squad" to install anti virus when i could be shopping elsewhere on BF.

I'm a computer science major, but the max amount of memory that windows vista(The version installed on the Sony) can only handle 2gb of ram. So if you buy the 2gb stick of laptop memory from BB on BF, you have to take out the memory that came with the laptop.(The 2GB memory kit sold on BF at BB for $54.99 should work with the Sony, but the kit is not 1 2gb stick, rather 2 1gb sticks) I just don't know if I will use the extra 40gb of hard drive space and I don't really want to stand there waiting the "geek squad" to install anti virus when i could be shopping elsewhere on BF.

All the 32 bit versions of the Vista OS support a maximum of 4 GB.

Technical Details

Stylish, affordable notebook in silk white for everyday computing with widescreen 15.4-inch screen

1.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 processor, 160 GB hard drive, 1 GB RAM (4 GB max), 8x multi-format/dual-layer DVD drive

Tri-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g), 10/100 Ethernet, Intel X3100 video card with up to 251 MB of shared memory

Connectivity: 4 USB, 1 FireWire, ExpressCard 34 slot, Memory Stick & SD readers

Pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium (with Media Center capabilities)

The anti-virus is PRE-INSTALLED by the dork squad. ;)

Idk if I'm gonna go with either of them until I see if BB does what they did last year and offer a cheaper one at the last moment, but if I had to choose between the two sony's, I'd go with the $399, because I don't really need another all-in-one printer, I'd just install Kaspersky internet security, and the laptop bag is a POS, so I'm not sure it would be worth another $100 to me for an extra 40gb.

Idk if I'm gonna go with either of them until I see if BB does what they did last year and offer a cheaper one at the last moment, but if I had to choose between the two sony's, I'd go with the $399, because I don't really need another all-in-one printer, I'd just install Kaspersky internet security, and the laptop bag is a POS, so I'm not sure it would be worth another $100 to me for an extra 40gb.

Haha, I agree the anti virus and Laptop bag are POSs but I could use a printer, does anyone know the model number on the printer?

Hi!

I'm interested in the Sony laptop, but the only specs I saw here were for the upgraded model (160gb HD). Will the 120gb "basic" version also support up to 4mb memory, or just 2?

Thanks so much for any info you can offer!

Best Regards,

Scott in MO

Full Specs. For Sony Laptop; $399.99

Processor

Type: Intel® Pentium® Dual Core processor

T2310

Speed: 1.46GHz

Front Side Bus Speed: 533MHz

L2 Cache: 1MB

Memory

Type: DDR2

Installed: 1GB (512MBx2) PC2-4200

Maximum: 2GB

Speed: 533MHz

Hard Drive

Capacity: 120GB

Speed: 5400rpm (says 4200rpm on the ad but Sony.com says 5400rpm)

Interface: Serial ATA

Expansion Slots

Multimedia Card Reader: One Memory Stick

Duo™ media with MagicGate® functionality

One Secure Digital Media (SD)

One ExpressCard® /34 Slot

Display

Screen or Display Technology: WXGA LCD

Screen Size: 15.4”

Resolution: 1280 x 800

XBRITE-ECO™ Technology: Yes

Graphics

Processor: Mobile Intel® Graphics Media

Accelerator X3100

Video RAM: 251MB Total Available Graphics

Memory

Chipset: Mobile Intel® GL960 Express Chipset

Interface: VGA Out with Smart Display Sensor

Networking/Modem

Ethernet Protocol: Fast Ethernet (RJ-45)

Ethernet Speed: 10Base-T/100Base-TX

Modem Type: Integrated V.92/V.90 Modem (RJ-

11)

Wireless LAN: Atheros IEEE Network

Dimensions

Weight: 6.2 lbs with standard battery

Measurements: 14.2” (W) x 1.2” -1.5” (H) x

10.6” (D)