>>> Official Black Friday GPS Navigation Unit Discussion Thread <<< (updated 11/29)

Marcster

I am looking for 2 GPS in the 200.00 range. Would love to spend less for something good. I would like to not have to buy any adapters for it. Can someone help. I am lost and confused. What does everyone love????

Did you read the first post on this thread and expand the "spoiler tag"? Those are my recommendations.

Did you read the first post on this thread and expand the "spoiler tag"? Those are my recommendations.

Minor mention of the Navigon 2100 on the Short List. Was this compiled before you saw the review on gpslodge? Reading the review and visiting the experiencenavigon site, I think it has more going for it than free traffic service (which covers a wide area around the 68 cities). I'm going to grab one of these and a TomTom. If the traffic feature works as advertised and the user interface is even tolerable, I think the Navigon 2100 is the deal. Text-to-Speech and Reality View are icing on the cake. Who can't afford to make a $100 mistake?

Im torn between the Navigon 2100 and either the TomTom or Mio for comparable price. I need to purchase 2 of them for presents (myself and mother). The only thing that worries me about the Navigon are the reports of inaccurate rerouting. But I really want the traffic service and text-to-speech. Advice?

I bought the Navigon 2100 at Office Depot yesterday ($149 with freee traffice) and they also had trouble telling me how to get the free traffic subscription. There was no mail in rebate in the box, no rebate printed out on the receipt. Finally, they went to the website as if to register the product and found it there. I haven't done it yet so I'm skeptical. Will let you know.

Called Navigon re the free traffic subscription for my Office Depot purchase. They emailed me a redemption form. It is for the promotional period which means purchased between 11/18 and 11/24. You fill it out and send in the UPC and you will receive an activation code in the mail. You can then activate by phone or online.

Minor mention of the Navigon 2100 on the Short List. Was this compiled before you saw the review on gpslodge? Reading the review and visiting the experiencenavigon site, I think it has more going for it than free traffic service (which covers a wide area around the 68 cities). I'm going to grab one of these and a TomTom. If the traffic feature works as advertised and the user interface is even tolerable, I think the Navigon 2100 is the deal. Text-to-Speech and Reality View are icing on the cake. Who can't afford to make a $100 mistake?

Yes, it was way before the GPS Lodge review. I'll have to reassess and revise. The GPS Lodge article only came out on 10/17.

I'm still a little bummed about the tiny area for inputing destinations on the Navigon, the apparent slowness to respond, and it's inability to import lists of additional POIs from places like POI-factory.com.

Which brand or model do you think is the fastest to respond. I keep reading about the Navicon being slow.

You have to understand that I have only ever used a friend's Garmin StreetPilot c550 and that was pretty fast (and able to lock onto a satellite signal quickly).

The only time I read about slowness in Garmins was that it was "occasional".

This Tom Tom stuff is over my head but is the TT one 3rd better than the LE at Best Buy? Has this been figured out? I picked up 2 today from staples but I'm debating taking them back if I can get the one from BB.

Anyone know if the differences are really a big deal?

This Tom Tom stuff is over my head but is the TT one 3rd better than the LE at Best Buy? Has this been figured out? I picked up 2 today from staples but I'm debating taking them back if I can get the one from BB.

Anyone know if the differences are really a big deal?

The LE models at BB would require camping out for 20+ hours. I'd keep the ones you have.

I picked up the Navigon 2100 on Sun. at Office Depot. They couldn't tell me how to get the free lifetime traffic subscription so I went to Staples, price matched the Office Depot ad, and picked up another unit with the free lifetime traffic included in the box. There is a sticker on the front upper right hand corner that refers to it. When you look inside the box there is a card with the redemption code. It took me about 5 mins to set everything up with the free traffic. I returned the other unit to Office Depot and I am very happy with it's performance.

How difficult do you think it would be to get a Navigon at Staples? If I go arrive around 6:00 am, would I get a chance to grab one?

I would recommend being there by 5 am at least. Last BF I was at Staples by 5:15 and got everything on my list. However, every year BF gets more popular so I am shooting for 4 am.

I picked up the Navigon 2100 on Sun. at Office Depot. They couldn't tell me how to get the free lifetime traffic subscription so I went to Staples, price matched the Office Depot ad, and picked up another unit with the free lifetime traffic included in the box. There is a sticker on the front upper right hand corner that refers to it. When you look inside the box there is a card with the redemption code. It took me about 5 mins to set everything up with the free traffic. I returned the other unit to Office Depot and I am very happy with it's performance.

Have you used the traffic feature at all? Does it track every decent sized road, or just the major highways?

OK, everyone.... I just updated my "short list" @ 5:45 pm.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Sports%20Exercise/box22.gif It's the TomTom One (v3 or LE) vs. Navigon 2100 slugfest....

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Sports%20Exercise/box.gif Who's the winner?: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=87388

OK, everyone.... I just updated my "short list" @ 5:45 pm.

It's the TomTom One (v3 or LE) vs. Navigon 2100 slugfest....

Who's the winner?: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=87388

You're a coward, Marc, but I agree with you. I like the real time traffic enough to pay for map updates. Besides, next BF we may be waiting in line for the next generation of GPS hardware. I think market forces will lead to free/cheap/third party map updates for all -- even if the maps are sponsored by Google ;) Same for expanding the POIs.

You're a coward, Marc, but I agree with you. I like the real time traffic enough to pay for map updates. Besides, next BF we may be waiting in line for the next generation of GPS hardware. I think market forces will lead to free/cheap/third party map updates for all -- even if the maps are sponsored by Google ;) Same for expanding the POIs.

LOL, thanks.... Yeah, it's quite possible that by the time you really "need" new maps for the Navigon 2100, it'll be time to buy a new GPS (as in BF 2008, like you are saying). Granted, the Navigon will have new maps available every six months, but no one is forcing you to buy them, you can "make do" with maps on your own schedule...

Personally, I need to buy two GPS units and I don't know which one to get. Yeah, it's THAT close. We do live close enough to Philly that we'd be covered by traffic info on the Navigon, but being able to load up POIs would be a plus. At least I know that I want to get two of the same units since one is for my parents and I'll be fielding tech support calls...

But, yeah, it's a flip of the coin type of decision... I just wanted to point out the most minute details of these two units if that would sway people one way or the other.

I think that most people would be happy with either unit. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Happy/yay.gif

Marc Thanks for all the work you have done good job :) I have finally made my choice it will be the tomtom le HOPEFULLY LOL or the 3rd I will be going to niagra falls this summer and would like canada maps... also i live in mid michigan and wont get traffic so that made my choice...hopefully everyone will come back and let us know what they got and how they like it...

Marc Thanks for all the work you have done good job :) I have finally made my choice it will be the tomtom le HOPEFULLY LOL or the 3rd I will be going to niagra falls this summer and would like canada maps... also i live in mid michigan and wont get traffic so that made my choice...hopefully everyone will come back and let us know what they got and how they like it...

You're quite welcome. It seems that people have really enjoyed this thread -- we'll roll over 10K views soon...

Yeah, for your use, the TomTom is the one to go with.

BTW, in reference to the "what they got" comment - I already plan thread with a poll of "Which one did you buy?"

Im reading the post how best buy seems to be a nightmare on black friday.. so my guess is the Tom tom is going to be almost impossible to get for that price on black friday even if im there by 430 am in line.... secondly i was considering the Navigon 2100 one for 50 more but my one question is can you update the trafic thing with the codes online that you posted in an earlier post (POIs through sites ) for the .. Navigon 2100 thanks for anyhelp...

Im reading the post how best buy seems to be a nightmare on black friday.. so my guess is the Tom tom is going to be almost impossible to get for that price on black friday even if im there by 430 am in line.... secondly i was considering the mangellan one for 50 more but my one question is can you update the trafic thing with the codes online that you posted in an earlier post (POIs through sites ) for the mangellan .. thanks for anyhelp...

I'm sorry, I've read your post twice now and I can't figure out what you're trying to say. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hmmm/dontknow.gif It's almost like it's missing a few words...

TomTom makes the TomTom One. Magellan makes other units. Which model are you after?

But, yes, 4:30 am is far too late to get any doorbuster at BB. Maybe some $5 DVDs but that's about it.