Five year old boy gift ideas?

amez74

I cannot figure out what to get my five year old boy for Christmas. He really likes video games so I'm getting him a new ds game, and xbox 360 game. But I cannot figure out toys for him. He's not into trains, action figures are just okay.....he likes cars, but the last hotwheel set I got him just didn't hold up. Any ideas? Are there any sturdy hotwheels sets?

tia

Amy

Does he have a small mp3 to put music on that he likes? A digital camera might be a possiblity to even though he is five he may enjoy them my 4 yr old loves her FPcamera. I would think he might like something for outside as well. Maybe one of those radio controlled bug looking things or airplane. That Eyeclops looks pretty neat too!

My 4 1/2 year old son loves to play with his Webkinz. He plays a lot of the games and does the daily things like gardening, playing the wishing well, and he really likes to gem hunt. There are so many different options with the Webkinz that the possibilities are endless. My 10 year old niece even wants one. And I have to admit, that I have my own too.:D

Have you tried taking him into a toy store or the toy section of a store and just let him wander through and check out the toys? We do this every fall with our daughter and spend at least an hour so she can check everything out and get a good look at the toys. It gives us a better idea as to what she wants and does not want.

What about those little minature remote control cars? If he does well with video games it will be easy for him to learn to operate and they are the size of hotwheels so you don't have to worry about bumping into walls and nicking them or anything.

If you have room for him to play with it, they have larger remote control cars that you can plug your MP3 player into so you could do both and get his favorite music so he can play it and drive?

I totally agree on legos/magnetix. All three of our DS love them. Maybe start with a small set that can make something with the instructions... then if he loves them move to a bigger set next year.

Does he have any favorite shows or characters? My 5 yr. old love Go Diego Go and anything Cars, as in the Disney movie Cars. Anything related to those are hits with him. He has a Shake and Go racetrack too and loves it. So do my 8 and 10 yr. olds, lol. I plan on getting him more cars for his track this year. They also have a new Shake and Go track that the cars can crash on. Looks cool.

I agree with the person who said take him to a toy store and see what he likes and doesn't like. We just did this with my kids last weekend. It helps a lot. Do you have the Toys R Us big book? My kids alway find stuff in there that they want and make their wish list from it. Hope this helps.

Elena

My little guy is a tough cookie. I had taken him before to the store and tried to have him look at toys. I didn't really get a good feel for what he wanted. So after I posted I did it again this weekend. First he spent most of the time asking if we could go look at Video games .... he played with some various Cars (the movie) items and play cars and trucks. I asked him if he liked them he said they were okay. I asked him about biocicles and he thought they looked neat.. so maybe :)

He likes the crash and shake track in the toyrus big book. He likes Pokemon the show so maybe something along those lines. I will have to look more at Webkinz as well--that might be something he would like as well. He has magnetix already and if I pull them out he enjoys playing with them otherwise he kind of forgets about them.

I've tried to pay attention to what he's played with at home this week. He has two sisters so he has played petshop with them w/ dinosaurs thrown into the mix. He used a small box, ruler, tape and paper to build a ship with a sail that he could fit in . He used two empty soda bottles to build a jet pack so he could fly. He used leftover material to build a tent. And he has begged his dad to bring him home big boxes (dad is bringing huge boxes home today). So I've figured out that I can save my money I can just give him my "trash" and he will recycle it into play things and just play with his sisters toys. :) JK

You guys have been a great help--I'm going to keep showing him toys and keep thinking outside of the box (no pun intended) like so many have suggested. Seems like my girls are soooo much easier to buy for. Oh well half the fun of Christmas shopping is the challenge!

Thanks again

Amy

What about the Home Depot section? They have small builder's kits. (Birdhouse, Firetruck, etc.) My son got one last year and it held up til my youngest DS shoved it down two flights of steps. Most of them can be put together with a screwdriver and usually takes someone a half-hour to bulid it. You can paint them as well. You can also look into model cars/planes, science discovery toys, small model rockets, or chemistry sets.

ok... after reading the whole building thingy part... Lowes has "real" little tools for the boys his age. It has a level, a square, a tape measure, and all sorts of stuff like that. Sear should have the kids craftsman workbench on sale BF. You might give him his own tool box with supplies. We wouldnt think twice about putting together a dress up chest for my dd. So build him his own "tool chest", put tape and color wonder stuff in it, floam, or moon sand, extra tissue holder, little boxes, old gift cards, and anything "crafty" you make projects with, you can probably find him a book on how to make stuff on clearance at borders.... and then let him go... sounds like a NASA engineer in the making.