Worth getting the Kohl's card?

kimmie0712

I don't really remember if they give extra discounts on black Friday if you have their card, but they do offer many discounts through the year if you have their card, so for me I think it is worth having their card as long as you pay it off every month. One year we signed my husband up for the card on black Friday so we could get the extra sign up discount.

I have had the Kohls card for several years and every Black Friday that I can remember shopping there, I have had the pick a day and save 15% with your card coupon. It usually comes out a week before BF and is good for one day in store and one day online. I just save it and use it on BF. It is for cardholders only, but the Kohls bucks are for everyone.

last year on bf they did the kohls cash where you get a $10 gc for every $50 you spend. not sure if this is exclusive to cardholders though

Pretty sure you DO need to use the Kohl's card to get the $10 for each $50 spent. You do NOT need to use the Kohl's card when spending those $10 certificates though.

Also, if you spend enough throughout the year, they make you a Most Valuable Cardholder (MVC) and give you specials for the year.

I am not sure which states allow this... but I know in WI, I only need to pay 1/3 of the bill each month to avoid any finance charges :)

If I remember right, the sales clerk told me you get at least 12 coupons / one a month for being a card holder.

In my area they have done the $10 for $50 spent for the last two Black Fridays. And you don't have to be a card holder for those, the $10 certificates are only valid for a limited time - at the store I went to, it has the date it can be used on it.

Around the start of the school, they mailed $10 gift cards out. If you do alot of shopping at Kohl's and can get the card, it's worth it.

Pretty sure you DO need to use the Kohl's card to get the $10 for each $50 spent. You do NOT need to use the Kohl's card when spending those $10 certificates though.

Also, if you spend enough throughout the year, they make you a Most Valuable Cardholder (MVC) and give you specials for the year.

I am not sure which states allow this... but I know in WI, I only need to pay 1/3 of the bill each month to avoid any finance charges :)

Not true.... I don't have a Kohls card and I get the kohls cash every time they run that promotion.

Not true.... I don't have a Kohls card and I get the kohls cash every time they run that promotion.

Then you're just lucky, because every time they run it here when it's only the $10 with a $50 Kohl's card purchase, you'd better believe they make you use your charge card! I didn't have a Kohl's card until about a year ago, so that's happened to me...now I'm smart and just have a card! ;)

I don't have a card, and I KNOW I've gotten the $10 on $50 before, but yesterday I went to Kohl's and they had that promotion running, but in order to qualify for it you had to have a card. So either they've changed something, or it's hit or miss. I'm finally starting to consider getting one, I've never been one for store cards, but I shop Kohl's often enough I'm starting to see I'm missing out on some additional savings.

I don't have a card, and I KNOW I've gotten the $10 on $50 before, but yesterday I went to Kohl's and they had that promotion running, but in order to qualify for it you had to have a card. So either they've changed something, or it's hit or miss. I'm finally starting to consider getting one, I've never been one for store cards, but I shop Kohl's often enough I'm starting to see I'm missing out on some additional savings.

They run that promotion a good bit and it can go both ways. Most of the time you don't need a card. Every now and then they will throw one in where you do. I have never seen where you need to use your card on Black Friday to get the $10 on $50. I think they know they would have very upset shoppers if they do. I always shop with cash on BF.

Only get a Kohl's card if you want it for LIFE! I had one, wrote to them to close the account and then was offered a deal at the register if I "opened a Kohl's account" that day. Well, they told me I already had an account (!), couldn't have the bonus deal and so I paid cash for that transaction. I didn't think another thing of it.

Then a week later, I got new charge cards from Kohl's in the mail. I did not want another account - and I didn't even get their "deal." So now I'm trying to close my account - yet again.

Having the Kohls cards is definitely worth it! I also have had a pick a day on BF. My favorite thing about the kohl's coupons is that the discount is off the sale prices as well as the regular prices. There are no exclusions! No other store offers that that I know of. I know JCP has coupons, but they all have exclusions and are never good on sale or clearance prices. You cannot go wrong with a Kohl's card!

It's funny this topic should come up, I was talking to my mom and she just opened a Kohls charge a couple of months ago for a big purchase she was making there. She had intended on closing it the next month, but she keeps getting all of these coupons and perks for being a card holder thats she said she is just going to keep it.

Do they ever have any deals for opening an account? I'm just wondering, because now I've finally decided to go on ahead and get one, but I'd like to get the best possible deal. ;) If they only randomly offer an incentive, I want to make sure I sign up when they're offering it. :yup:

Do they ever have any deals for opening an account? I'm just wondering, because now I've finally decided to go on ahead and get one, but I'd like to get the best possible deal. ;) If they only randomly offer an incentive, I want to make sure I sign up when they're offering it. :yup:

They always offer 10% off your first purchase when you open an account, but sometimes it's 15% (don't know how often that is, but I know I've seen it happen)...and it seems like every other month the pick-a-days come in the mail for an extra 15% off...I think, though, every month, there is some additional savings offer for Kohl's card customers, whether it is a pick-a-day, Kohl's cash giveaway for spending $50, or a sale flyer that comes in the mail with a peel-off for 15, 20, or 30% off (my last one was 30%, and MAN did I come out a winner on that one!!)...

any department store cards, like other credit cards are held against you at their full spending limit when trying to get a loan, credit check etc, personally it just isn't worth it to me, especially since they started doing kohl's cash without having be a cardholder. not trying to get on a soap box here or step on any toes - just stating my own opinion, no offense to anyone.

any department store cards, like other credit cards are held against you at their full spending limit when trying to get a loan, credit check etc, personally it just isn't worth it to me, especially since they started doing kohl's cash without having be a cardholder. not trying to get on a soap box here or step on any toes - just stating my own opinion, no offense to anyone.

I understand what you are saying, and in general, I have always agreed with this. :yup: That's exactly why I've always hesitated to pick one up. Department store cards (even with zero balances) can have a HUGE impact on your credit, and you may not even realize it at all.

At this point in my life though, I really have no need for "credit", and the good outweighs the bad - in this particular instance. Mostly because 1. I regularly shop at Kohl's and 2. there are some discounts I haven't been able to get because I didn't have a card.

Case in point - A couple of weeks ago I went and bought the kids winter coats and wasn't eligible for Kohl's cash because I didn't have a card. Even though I spent well over $100. So you aren't ALWAYS eligible for Kohl's cash without a card, just sometimes.

Yesterday I went and got a Kohl's card and was eligible for 15% off. :yup: Since I had a rather large purchase, I appreciated the little bonus. :D

I made Kohl's my first stop last Black Friday. I had a Kohl's card and a 15% off coupon you could use in addition to the doorbusters. I had myself added as an authorized user to my husband's card a few days before. Customer service said I was good to go. But when I got to the register to use the card for the first time it flagged me and they had to call in my information. It took 20 minutes to check out. I was not happy, the people behind me were not happy and the cashier was not happy. But if you pay with cash, no 15% off.

The computer system flags you for all sorts of things. If you make a large purchase the computer makes you call the center so the system can offer you a credit increase. I've been flagged EVERY time I use that darn card and you have to stay at the register while they call your information in.

Be prepared that if you get a Kohl's credit card specifically to use at Kohl's for Black Friday, it may be a world of hassle.