Tickets at Walmart

jellybean051901

LAst year we asked the manager at the Walmart that we shop at why they didn't pass out tickets for items like the TVs. The manager told us that the head offices wouldn't allow it. Did anyone else have this problem? I think it would be safer to do that instead of having people run to the back of the store. Last year people were falling and getting stepped on trying to make a dash for the eight Tvs they had. I would think that safety would be a higher priority. I wonder why they won't pass out the tickets?

LAst year we asked the manager at the Walmart that we shop at why they didn't pass out tickets for items like the TVs. The manager told us that the head offices wouldn't allow it. Did anyone else have this problem? I think it would be safer to do that instead of having people run to the back of the store. Last year people were falling and getting stepped on trying to make a dash for the eight Tvs they had. I would think that safety would be a higher priority. I wonder why they won't pass out the tickets?

I asked that once also and got the exact same answer. I have no clue why they won't do that, it makes no sense to me.

I think Best Buy is the only major store chain that does that. Dunno if they have some sort of exclusive rights to it or something. If they can, I think it might be a good idea to hand out tickets or sheets granting people in line, starting with the first and moving down until they're completely sold out of all tickets, the exclusive items so everyone can calmly go about their business once inside and prevent stampedes. Most places I've been to on BF have plenty of security to prevent any major incidents from happening anyway. And there's alot of griping by BB line waiters about skipping people in line while handing them out so the idea isn't perfect.

My local Wal-Mart seperated us into two different lines. One for the 42" Plasma and the other for the 50" that they were selling. Anyway the guy in charged counted the people and let the ones behind them know that they only had 10 of the 50" and 25" of the Plasmas. So some of the people in the 50" line either left or moved to the other line since it was shorter. They did this about 4 times before they finally gave out the tickets to take to customer service/layway to pay for them.

Oh and I had to pay for something in electronics and the guy never gave me one of my bags. While I was waiting to pay for my TV the manager ran back to electronics and grabbed my bag for me and apologized. It was the first time in 3 years that they were that organzied at my local Wal-Mart. I was impressed.

Ramona

Our store started to do the ticket thing on the last couple of big things to come out in Electronics. What they did I believe was hand out tickets starting at 10 pm to people who were in line for the item. They then were free to walk around the store. I do believe they were still suppose to stay in the store but they did not have to stand in line at that point. So it may be something you will be seeing.

Last year for the laptop they did that at the store we went to. We were handed a piece of paper with a number on it and were then allowed to walk around the store. You had to stay in the store but did not have to stand in line. Then at midnight when it was time to give them out they did it by who was #1, and so on.

So it seems like it may be an individual store decision.

My walmart gave some tickets last year. I was the 1st one in line, and there were only 2 of the 52" TVs. They came out and gave the speech of "no running, no pushing, shoving, or anything like that". They were letting us know where some of the bigger items were. I made a point to ask the manager that was giving the "this will not be allowed" speech if they would be handing out tickets for the tv, and he said no. I told them that I had been sitting there since 9pm, and no one else showed up until only 1-2 hrs before their opening. I wasn't going to kill myself trying to get to this tv, and he knew as well as I did that there would be running, pushing, shoving, and everything else he just announced what would not be allowed.

He went back in, came back out about 10 minutes later with tickets for the computers, and some of the other bigger items. He then handed me a ticket for the TV I was there for, the lady behind me was there for the same tv so he gave her the other one, then announced that the 52"tvs were gone. He made my day on that one.

Last year's laptop plan at the local supercenter was a little different.than what they usually do for BF. Basically, they set up about 20 chairs in electronics. If you wanted a laptop, you sat down in the next available chair and waited. If you got up, you lose your place. A friend of mine who got a laptop last year went there about 10pm and there was hardly one person there. Soon as he sat down, about a dozen people came from outta nowhere and sat down quickly. :D Wasn't that bad of a wait and he got a great laptop.

Midnight????? We always have to wait till 5am!:gdcensored:

Midnite for supercenters. 5am for regular hourly Wal-Marts.

I think Best Buy is the only major store chain that does that. Dunno if they have some sort of exclusive rights to it or something.

haha, you're TOO funny!!! I'm SURE Best buy doesn't have exclusive rights to passing out pieces of paper! haha! i love it!!

sorry, i just found that funny. :):D

Last year whne they had the laptops on sale earl, an employee came out and was going to hand out tickets. There weren't enough people there to worry about it though. If they can do it for that I don't see why they can't do it BF. I think it would be worth preventing a lawsuit when someone gets hurt. Just a thought.

BB is the only major company that does tickets and for the most part it works.

Wal Mart can't read anyones minds and if you want to get the ticket system at Wal Mart why dont you write or call them in Bentonville. Contact info is below.

http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=224

WEll I emailed them today so I am waiting for a response. I will let you know if I hear anything.

I just emailed Walmart Corporate as well. Hope it doesnt sound too corny. :)

"I would like to make a suggestion regarding Black friday's doorbusters.

I think it might be a good idea to hand out tickets, granting people in line, starting with the first and moving down until the exclusive item is completely sold out. This would allow everyone to go calmly about their business once inside and prevent stampedes.

This would not take any additional time off your employees, since as it stands from previous years, someone is watching guard over those items anyways.

Please give this serious consideration, since this is one of the biggest complaints regarding Black Friday.

Thank you!"

I dont think I like the ticket process, I like the idea of things in different places, that way everyone has a chance not just the first ones in line. I would rather choose which is more important to get and go after that and then try for the other things I want.

Our walmart gives out tickets for how many tv's they have but they dont give them out until the sale starts. Then you pay for it and drive around back to pick it up.

I dont think I like the ticket process, I like the idea of things in different places, that way everyone has a chance not just the first ones in line. I would rather choose which is more important to get and go after that and then try for the other things I want.

Our walmart gives out tickets for how many tv's they have but they dont give them out until the sale starts. Then you pay for it and drive around back to pick it up.

That's how our local Wal-Mart was last year before it became a supercenter. They give out maps an hour before the doors open to guide everyone to each doorbuster item located throughout the store (CS desk for desktop and big-screen LCD TV, table around the corner for digital camera and other item, etc). That limits individuals to one or two doorbusters and makes it so one person can't buy everything. One problem I noticed was the limit of items they could have. When we bought a laptop a few years back, folks were buying 3 or 4 laptops at a time. That peeved alot of people off and we barely got the last one. I think they're limiting doorbusters now to one unique item per individual.

This year is gonna be very interesting because that local WM where the wife works became a 24-hour supercenter earlier this year. This blitz-day is gonna be WAY different and folks might not be used to the new way of doing things. Let's hope things go smoothly, however I'm expecting chaos to ensue. :D

i think it should be 1st come 1st serve, they should give out tickets and I had a terrible experience last year with the $150. computer i waited from 9pm til 5am and when sale started 3 people that stated to me they had just came an hour ago got all the computers just so happened they found and extra and I was mad and complained like crazy I love the computer and I am grateful there was an extra but I was 1st one in line and was told by manager we would get a map then at last minute the doors where opened and we where with no map and told to just go searching.

That's how our local Wal-Mart was last year before it became a supercenter. They give out maps an hour before the doors open to guide everyone to each doorbuster item located throughout the store (CS desk for desktop and big-screen LCD TV, table around the corner for digital camera and other item, etc). That limits individuals to one or two doorbusters and makes it so one person can't buy everything. One problem I noticed was the limit of items they could have. When we bought a laptop a few years back, folks were buying 3 or 4 laptops at a time. That peeved alot of people off and we barely got the last one. I think they're limiting doorbusters now to one unique item per individual.

This year is gonna be very interesting because that local WM where the wife works became a 24-hour supercenter earlier this year. This blitz-day is gonna be WAY different and folks might not be used to the new way of doing things. Let's hope things go smoothly, however I'm expecting chaos to ensue. :D

That happened to me a few years ago. I was trying to get my husband a Gameboy for an upcoming deployment and the lady right in front of me bought 3 which ended up being the last of the instock Gameboys. I was a little irritated since I had been in line for 3 hours at that point. She turned around and told everyone behind her that she had triplets at home and that they were a Christmas gift. Not sure if it were true but it was a rough morning that morning.

Midnight????? We always have to wait till 5am!:gdcensored:

I like the ticket idea though. I got trampled for one of the TV's last year and I wasn't even wanting one! everyone about beat me up.:slapcry:

I got in a few shots though!! :chairshot

This is why I have avoided BF the last 3 or 4 years. I am very short, and I don't stand a chance against taller/larger people, and the news flashes on BF have me scared to death. I really don't want to get beat on. My oldest dd and I really want to go out this year, but we're 1/2 serious, 1/2 joking about taking some pepper spray and maybe padding ourselves with Charmin in case any big person tries to hurt us. ;)

I think tickets would be great for Wal Mart, and it would definitely make me feel safer in going out.

I saw a stun gun for $19.00! ( It's not messy like pepper spray!:lmao: )

Our Super walmart doesn't close the doors for a big "open run mad dash". You can come in at anytime do your shopping, but if you are in line for something, you have to go stand by it and wait till 5am! Then and ONLY then, do they take the plasic wrap off for all to fight over.:chairshot

It is so messy, but I love it so!:gdcool:

I think the ticket idea is great, if it works!! My first year as a BF shopper, didn't go as expected!! We got up early, and got in line at BB. I never saw any of the associates handing out tickets (don't know if I was too far back or what) and didn't know that they even did that, until I got inside!! I ran back to the back, where the digital camera's were being sold, and was prompted to go back to the front of the store to get a ticket. So we ran back up front, and the associate told me that there weren't any to give out. So he walked back to the digital camera display, and the 2 associates argued over the ticket issue. In the mean time, I stood and looked at all of the camera's on the shelf just waiting to be passed out. They were all labeled with numbers, I'm assuming that would corrspond witht he tickets. Not one person had come back to get them!! Since the sales associates were distracted, I grabbed one, and went and checked out!! I looked at it after we got into the car, it was labeled #1!! I know, shame on me, but the way I see it... If you had the #1 ticket for that item, you should have already been back there to get it!! I learned my lesson, and will NEVER stand in line at BB again!!

I think the ticket idea is great, if it works!! My first year as a BF shopper, didn't go as expected!! We got up early, and got in line at BB. I never saw any of the associates handing out tickets (don't know if I was too far back or what) and didn't know that they even did that, until I got inside!! I ran back to the back, where the digital camera's were being sold, and was prompted to go back to the front of the store to get a ticket. So we ran back up front, and the associate told me that there weren't any to give out. So he walked back to the digital camera display, and the 2 associates argued over the ticket issue. In the mean time, I stood and looked at all of the camera's on the shelf just waiting to be passed out. They were all labeled with numbers, I'm assuming that would corrspond witht he tickets. Not one person had come back to get them!! Since the sales associates were distracted, I grabbed one, and went and checked out!! I looked at it after we got into the car, it was labeled #1!! I know, shame on me, but the way I see it... If you had the #1 ticket for that item, you should have already been back there to get it!! I learned my lesson, and will NEVER stand in line at BB again!!

Regardless if those people weren't back there to get THEIR ticketed item is irrelevant--they earned it, you did not. That's the whole point of standing in line for a ticket... Whether they were stuck behind other people, or whether they were shopping for other items, it was theirs...

Saying you will never stand in line at BB again---does that mean you'll sneak back and take someone else's ticketed item? :eyepoppin

I asked about tickets yesterday and the head of electronics said they had tried to get them (I assume the manager but maybe they meant upper management) to do that and they refuse. I told that person that someone was going to get really hurt one day and they agreed but said there was nothing the employees could do. IMO I think WM believes if they do that and people know the big ticket items are gone, they'd leave and try another store.

I think the reason most people wouldn't rush to get that ticketed item is because well, they have the ticket, so they can get other things and then go get that item. I know I would probably do the same thing. Why rush to get it when it should be there and I can get other stuff that's limited stock but no tickets were given out?