>>> Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Another thing, on buying an HDTV--get one that is a good name brand. Buying a cheap product mostly doesn't last long. We got a cheap DVD player for our son couple years ago and it last year tops. Our higher priced nam brand DVd player was gotten 5 years ago and is still going strong. It even lets us know if the DVD we rented is drty and refuses to play it. And yes, we got it on sale--not on BF though. Do your homework ahead of time to know what is really good to buy, then that deal really is a deal.

I'd add a word of caution. The real trick is simply knowing who the "good names" are. Keep in mind that for the majority of TV manufacturers, they simply source their materials and integrate them. So an LCD TV from some manufacturer might have an LG panel, with a HiMax chipset, and various and sundry glue logic. So if you want to get into that level of detail, you really need to do your homework. At a higher level, be sure to find out what the warranty policy is for both the manufacturer and the dealer. Also be warned that, like I mentioned in my previous post, it is not at all uncommon for different models in the same family of tv's to have radically different components (panels, chipsets, etc) so be sure to research the specific model you're interested in. As an example, while Sony makes some nice units, often times particular models of Sony products have a very bad rep (and deservedly so), so be sure to research the particular model you're interested in. Also, Sony (not to pick on them, I do love them and have many of their products, but ....) has been known to not have the best customer service in the world if you do have a problem, but again, this varies.

Here's a question for the group. Right now I have a projection a 52 inch HD monitor that is 1080i capable which I bought on BF in 2004. It has no HDMI connection, just component. Is there a DVD where upconversion would work, or do you have to have a HDMI connector?

Also, should I spring $169 for a HD receiver for my monitor?

There are players that will upconvert DVD over component with a hack, perhaps this link will help.

$169 seems high for just a receiver, although I know that is the typical price. I have seen them as low as 90 (clearance with a coupon at Sears), but that was some time ago. Personally, since I can't live without a DVR, an ATSC receiver would be just about my last choice for HDTV, after HTPC, satellite DVR, and cable DVR. But if none of those are options, I guess it should be at least considered.

Here's a question for the group. Right now I have a projection a 52 inch HD monitor that is 1080i capable which I bought on BF in 2004. It has no HDMI connection, just component. Is there a DVD where upconversion would work, or do you have to have a HDMI connector?

Also, should I spring $169 for a HD receiver for my monitor?

You don't need HDMI to do 1080i or 720p so I'm sure that there are DVD players that will upconvert to those resolutions and support component. Does your TV have a DVI connector, if so, then you can get a simple DVI<->HDMI cable as well.

What type of HD receiver are you talking about, OTA/cable/satellite?

I took my wife to BB yesterday to show her the differences in LCD HDTVs. I am happy to say she has given me the green light to buy one. Most likely I will be tented on the concrete tundra of my local BB on T-day. When we went to BB they had 2 Samsung 42" LCD 1080p tvs beside each other. There was a $200 difference between them. Using the same signal the higher priced one was so much crisper. I could see more skin tones and diffences in blacks and blues. I checked the specs and the big difference was the contrast ratio. The higher priced one was 15000 to 1. The other was 8000 to 1. VERY BIG DIFFERENCE. I will pay the extra $200. I am just hoping that instead of $1699 it drops to $1299 on BF. That would make me :)

I took my wife to BB yesterday to show her the differences in LCD HDTVs. I am happy to say she has given me the green light to buy one. Most likely I will be tented on the concrete tundra of my local BB on T-day. When we went to BB they had 2 Samsung 42" LCD 1080p tvs beside each other. There was a $200 difference between them. Using the same signal the higher priced one was so much crisper. I could see more skin tones and diffences in blacks and blues. I checked the specs and the big difference was the contrast ratio. The higher priced one was 15000 to 1. The other was 8000 to 1. VERY BIG DIFFERENCE. I will pay the extra $200. I am just hoping that instead of $1699 it drops to $1299 on BF. That would make me :)

Would you happen to know the model number of the one you are looking at?

How much do you think Walmart will be selling there Vizio 26'' or the Westinghouse 26'' for? Because I can get one right now for $400 from a buddy, the Vizio one. But I can also run the risk of getting one even better, and new too on BF. But again, it is a risk. What should I do? And I can get the Westinghouse at Costco (my parents are going to try for that). While I'm at Walmart with the Vizio or Westinghouse, whichever I can get ahold of. So...yeah...

And with places like this, when they open the doors, do I just run to the back where the TV's are? And just grab? Or what do I do? (this is my first time.) Could I have some help

How much do you think Walmart will be selling there Vizio 26'' or the Westinghouse 26'' for? Because I can get one right now for $400 from a buddy, the Vizio one. But I can also run the risk of getting one even better, and new too on BF. But again, it is a risk. What should I do? And I can get the Westinghouse at Costco (my parents are going to try for that). While I'm at Walmart with the Vizio or Westinghouse, whichever I can get ahold of. So...yeah...

And with places like this, when they open the doors, do I just run to the back where the TV's are? And just grab? Or what do I do? (this is my first time.) Could I have some help

I paid that much for my 37" last BF (after rebates, yadda yadda). I would assume that you will be able to get a better deal on BF. Of course you will likely have to stand in line all night in the cold, so I guess it's up to you whether it's worth it to pull the trigger now or not.

$169 seems high for just a receiver, although I know that is the typical price. I have seen them as low as 90 (clearance with a coupon at Sears), but that was some time ago. Personally, since I can't live without a DVR, an ATSC receiver would be just about my last choice for HDTV, after HTPC, satellite DVR, and cable DVR. But if none of those are options, I guess it should be at least considered.

OTA

There are players that will upconvert DVD over component with a hack, perhaps this link will help.

I wouldn't be so quick to poo-poo OTA HD. I find that often the overall picture quality of OTA HD broadcasts are superiour to anything being pumped out by the cable/satellite companies. Remember, just like with standard def, the cable/sat providers are trying to squeeze as many channels as possible over their fixed amount of bandwidth. This means that they are more likely to jack up the compression levels (or lower their bitrates) yielding an inferior picture. No such worries from OTA. While watching football games on cable/sat is nice, I'm constantly blown away by how much better the OTA quality often is. Now of course, this varies significantly based on location, and in any case you are only talking about a handful of channels compared to cable/sat.

I wouldn't be so quick to poo-poo OTA HD. I find that often the overall picture quality of OTA HD broadcasts are superiour to anything being pumped out by the cable/satellite companies. Remember, just like with standard def, the cable/sat providers are trying to squeeze as many channels as possible over their fixed amount of bandwidth. This means that they are more likely to jack up the compression levels (or lower their bitrates) yielding an inferior picture. No such worries from OTA. While watching football games on cable/sat is nice, I'm constantly blown away by how much better the OTA quality often is. Now of course, this varies significantly based on location, and in any case you are only talking about a handful of channels compared to cable/sat.

D'oh! I phrased things poorly. OTA HD is actually my first choice of medium too (I agree it is the least compressed). In fact, it is what I use exclusively for now. I just receive it using an HTPC so I can get the DVR functionality I need. When I said an ATSC receiver was my last choice, I meant a standalone ATSC receiver.

Does anyone know about the brand Magnavox for an LCD tv? Don't need any bells and whistles. Just need a larger LCD for my bedroom.

I saw an advertisement for Sears on TV last night. Starting tomorrow (Thursday) they will have a 42" Magnavox LCD tv for $799. Said it was a $600 savings. WIth a sears card you can get a $150 rebate off that. So roughly $650 for a 42". Just not sure of the brand. hate to have repairs the first year.

so 32" @ KMart for $420 & a 37" @ Target for $550.

No exactly the prices i was looking for...but i guess they'll do

The Olevia (slightly different model, the 537 vs 237) could be had last BF for $500 AR, so I would expect better prices this year. Nice unit BTW (the 537).

Those TV's arent that great! Who wants a no name TV....

Where are the good TV sales....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :(:mad::yuck::no:

I agree. So far the year of the TV sale is falling very flat. Granted, Best Buy and Circuit City have not had their ads out yet, however, other stores that should have good sales simply do not... yet.

I'm eyeing the 46' Sharp Aquas at Sears for $999. My wife saw the TV and thought it was a great picture. Now i have to see what Best Buy and Circuit City in their ads. That being said, the lines at BB and CC are super long and the lines always form at Midnight. I'm tempted to get up @ 4am for Sears.

The people camping out overnight, are they usually there for big ticket items?

Those TV's arent that great! Who wants a no name TV....

Where are the good TV sales....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :(:mad::yuck::no:

And what reviews and comparisons have lead you to this conclusion? Have you gone out and actually looked at the Olevias? If you do a search on this board, you'll find almost nothing but positive comments. If you want to spend 2x for a "name", go for it, I'll be happy saving money, enjoying a fantastic picture, and getting pissed when my "name" brand goes kerplunk 1 month after the warranty expires (search on Amazon for some comments about a certain 4 letter "name" and some of their tv's)

And what reviews and comparisons have lead you to this conclusion? Have you gone out and actually looked at the Olevias? If you do a search on this board, you'll find almost nothing but positive comments. If you want to spend 2x for a "name", go for it, I'll be happy saving money, enjoying a fantastic picture, and getting pissed when my "name" brand goes kerplunk 1 month after the warranty expires (search on Amazon for some comments about a certain 4 letter "name" and some of their tv's)

Check it out on Cnet.com