>>> Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

I guess i should post this.:blush:

AVAILABLE AT PCRICHARDS&SONS (FRIDAY ONLY) :

PANASONIC 42" Plasma HDTV reg$1299.97 Sale price 696.97

SONY 40" Bravia LCD HDTV reg $1499.97 Sale price 797.97

This deal looks like it's still available, but shipping out to CA is an extra $100. Still a good deal for the Panny. I'm almost glad I missed out on the Olevia 37" from Target, cuz this is a much better tv and a far greater discount.

Just in case, anyone have any coupon codes for free shipping or a discount for PC Richards & Sons?

Some how, even though I followed Norm's advice to measure twice and cut once, the new Olevia is 4 inches too wide. I'm tempted to cut a hole in the side and let it hang out! A new entertainment center isn't in the budget right now. Plus, all the junk that has accumiltated in the drawers and cabinet parts would no longer have a home.

:eyepoppin :eyepoppin :eyepoppin :eyepoppin :eyepoppin

I hear that..sadly we have this beautiful Oak 3 piece EC bought in the 90's...and it's soooo 90's! Only a 30" widescreen TV will fit in it. The wife refuses to part with the EC as we paid $1000 even though I tell her it's now worth about nothing. I will keep working on a nice 50"+ LCD to hang on the wall...someday she will cave ;)

I like the wall mount idea but dh is not a "handy man". I'm not sure how long it would acutally hang on the wall!

Know anyone that is handy? Because of course you really need to make sure you find the studs in the wall for one.. but then you want to hang it exactly like the directions say (ours was easy to hang, it was just about finding the right height and then finding the studs - which wasn't difficult but I was making DARN sure they were RIGHT there, lol).

Guest amberntony

We bought a cute little tv stand that has the mount attached to it. so it is not actually in the wall but it is up in the air like it would be if it was mounted. and it moves so you can angle the tv different ways.

it was 300 at american (not on sale)

Well our TV went out after the BF sales ended. So we have decided we need to get a 32-40" LCD or Plasma tv, home theater and ofcourse a new stand. So should we keep looking now or wait for Super Bowl deals? We were looking at either Circuit City or Sams.

Keep checking back on gottadeal.com, especially the online deal section for good deals or check newegg.com regularly, they usually have really good deals. Walmart has a 47" LCD HDTV (1080p, but TERRIBLE contrast ratio) for $898 this Thursday (check the Gottadeal.com frontpage...)

What is your budget? Do you mind getting an "off-brand" (NOT Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung, etc.)?

the guy at CC, BB and sams in electronics all told me it makes a difference? and to just get a new box from comcast.?

From a video performance perspective, there is no difference, DVI and HDMI are interchangeable (exact same protocol, think of HDMI and DVI as two different physical implementations of a common standard). HDMI is simply more convenient since A) it's smaller and B) it also handles audio so you don't need sep DVI + audio connections.

Any dealer that tells you that you will get a difference in video quality is full of, well, you know.

From a video performance perspective, there is no difference, DVI and HDMI are interchangeable (exact same protocol, think of HDMI and DVI as two different physical implementations of a common standard). HDMI is simply more convenient since A) it's smaller and B) it also handles audio so you don't need sep DVI + audio connections.

Any dealer that tells you that you will get a difference in video quality is full of, well, you know.

That's true, though I ran into a problem with this this week actually. I have an older cable box with only the DVI out, and I picked up a tv on BF with HDMI in. What I *tried to do was simply pick up a DVI-HDMI converter, thinking there would be no issue (which there shouldn't be). However, my cable box spits out a message that my television doesn't support HDCP and refuses to output video through that converter, so I have my cable company delivering me a new box tomorrow.

In theory though, there should be no problem at all, and if you have a box that's less picky than mine, there might not be.