Does location of store mean prices are higher or lower?

Has anyone noticed if a specific store has cheaper prices in a primarily lower income area compared to a higher income area? Not just Walmart, but Target, and Grocery stores too...For instance a Walmart (or any chain store) in an middle to upper class area compared to Walmart (or same chain store) the next town over but in a low to middle class area?

Oh yes! I noticed it a lot when I lived in MS. There were two walmarts -- one on each side of town. You could go get something at one store and it would be one price and across town it would be different. I found this out when one store was out of something I wanted so I went to the other store. I couldn't believe the price difference.

We have a Food Lion on one side of the street and a Harris Teeter on the other side....And I mean they are directly across the street from each other. The Food Lion is NOT nearly as nice and a different class of people shop there. Even the parking lot conditions are worlds apart. I honestly feel that Harris Teeter caters to the "city" folk where the Food Lion across the street cater to the "country" folk. They were both built within a year of each other too.

When I was at a lawer debating on whether or not to take my case to court he told me-

"If you want to know who will be on the Jury go stand at the entrance of Food Lion and count the first 8 people that walk in the door that is who will be on the jury. Notice I didn't say Harris Teeter, I specifically mean Food Lion."

Harris Teeter is similar to Albertsons, for all you that aren't from the south east. They have some VERY good deals, but the price of the non sale items are OVERPRICED....You pay for the nicer store. They are trying to get you in with the sale prices and hope you buy more.

i have 2 walmarts within 20 minutes of me, each in a different direction. the one is in a city where all the new stores are coming (target, penneys, ross, old navy) its the happening place. their regular prices seem to be the same of the other WM but its the clearance prices that differ greatly. I often find this WM is priced still at 30% off while the WM in the other direction is clearancing them out at 75%.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed if a specific store has cheaper prices in a primarily lower income area compared to a higher income area? Not just Walmart, but Target, and Grocery stores too...For instance a Walmart (or any chain store) in an middle to upper class area compared to Walmart (or same chain store) the next town over but in a low to middle class area?

Yes....Believe it or not stuff usually go on clearance in the higher income target locations 1st( go figure????):confused:

I was told by Target employees that specifically the stuff at Target is put on clearance by how high the sales are for that store. So if they need to turn the inventory quicker then what it is selling for the stuff goes on clearance quicker. It all has to so with how "busy" the store is in general. When I USED to go shopping from Target to Target to Target (sometimes hitting 8 in one day) I knew there were certain ones I shouldn't bother with because they wouldn't have marked down the clearance as much as other stores. Why should they put it on clearance if it will sell at the normal price or why should they mark it down more than 30% if it will sell at 30% off? One store that I purposely wouldn't go to (after figuring this out) is a store where people were less likely to travel to the next closest one. It was also near the University and I know that people that attended the university tend not to travel very far.

My Super Target that I frequent puts stuff on clearancequicker and at a higher mark down than the regular Target. Also this Super Target tends to have more of a selection (and I am not refering to the groceries).

I've noticed price variance at Walmart more than Target. Also Walmart clearance varies from store to store. DH bought a new hunting jacket last year for 24.88 we went to another (20minutes away) to see if it had other things on clearance and when we got to the store it was still regular price $69.

I also notice it depends on competition. Here in the small town I live in the Wal-Mart have very little competition (no other major chain store) are higher than in a larger town where there is more competition. I think that is the major factor on their pricing. Things like dvds, cds, books, and electronics are always higher here than in the larger stores. New released dvds here always sales price is around $19 but in the larger city they have to match Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, etc. they are usually $2 to $5 cheaper.

The only real place I've noticed where prices are noticably different per area is Wal-Mart. They're prices tend to be a bit regional. Clearance items also greatly depend on the specific store's location. Sale items aren't like that as much since they're advertised and they may be required to price match.

• 4 weeks later...

i have 2 walmarts within 20 minutes of me, each in a different direction.

Wow!! Only two. I have 5 within 10 minutes of me, and within 20 minutes I can't count that high. They are literally every 5 miles here. I have not noticed any set pattern to WM except that they seem to mark down once a month on everything but electronics, and its the first week of the month. Electronics sit forever. Sometimes they give stuff away, and sometimes its $1.00 off. I think prices are more competitive based than anything here.

Wow!! Only two. I have 5 within 10 minutes of me, and within 20 minutes I can't count that high. They are literally every 5 miles here. I have not noticed any set pattern to WM except that they seem to mark down once a month on everything but electronics, and its the first week of the month. Electronics sit forever. Sometimes they give stuff away, and sometimes its $1.00 off. I think prices are more competitive based than anything here.

the closest one to me i think is about 15 miles away, the closest semi desirably one is about 15 miles away in the other direction, the first NICE one is about 25-30 miles away.

the city center area of los angeles is not very wal-mart friendly.

and yes, store location = higher prices. if you are located in a nice area, land will cost more, which will usually lean towards higher prices. our 24 hour drug stores here charge more also because of the labor costs to keep it open all night long.