Ideas for Easter baskets?

Let's see-along with oodles of candy: a book, maybe a movie, stuffed animal, kids jewelry, playdough, glowsticks, stickers, trucks and cars, and anything else I might run across I think they'd like lol. Easter is almost like Christmas around here!

I usually do some candy (not alot), gum, and a few toys and somtimes money. The Easter bunny always hides their baskets so, they get to go on a hunt for them in the house. My son (15) knows that if he finds his little sister Easter basket, he cannot tell her where it is. She is only 6 and loves the hunt!!!

Video Games that I bought earlier int he week at BB on clearance:D

They will get 3 a piece, I will probably toss in the the customary Choc Bunny, and a handful (& I mean small amount) of other candy as one son doesnt need the extra junk/sugar buzz and the other has braces so all the really fun candy is out for him til July anyway. The we go to MIL for dinner YUUUUUUMMMMYYY!!! She always makes one favorite for each of her 4 kids for the dinner and is nice enough to enclude me as request #5!

I always pick 7 Layer salad, and she puts in extra radishes -peas- and bacon for me!

I lub her :D for it

My DD is only 2 so I will probably go with coloring books, crayons, stickers, play-doh, a Backyardigans DVD, bubbles, and sidewalk chalk. It seems like when I was little it was always a little warmer at Easter and we could go outside to play. Now it is always cold (and sometimes it snows!) UGH! I really like the idea about glo sticks too....my DD likes to go "looking" with a flashlight for the "mean coyotes" (from the movie "Barnyard)...Glo sticks would be great for that.....What an imagination.... :cheesy:

This is the first year that my youngest "officially" knows there is no EB so there will be a $15 iTunes card each (using the $1 coupons I got off the Target clearance Cocoa Puffs :) always a book, and usually a movie, CD or videogame. Small amount of candy (oldest doesn't like chocolate so it makes it tough to keep things even, plus they're both in braces so no Peeps.) Youngest is obsessed w/rubber ducks so I usually do well w/some duck themed items. I just picked up most of my basket candy at Target last week (they had a rubber duck made of chocolate!)

Great ideas. I think I'm going to get the 11 year old GC to EB Games so I don't pick the wrong game and I picked up a leap pad book for the 3 year old. Of course they'll get some candy and chocolate. I'll have to think of some other small things for them... need to start thinking and looking for deals!

For my DD 6 and 8, each gets a pair of crocs that I got for a steal though a post on this site and a Lil'kinz rabbit with a little candy. For my DS12, still working on it... some good ideas posted here... thanks!

Keep in mind that we live in Southern California--so for DD, 12, a swimsuit, banana boat spf 45 , a few "girly girl" items like nail polish (from Target after Christmas sale), some socks (super clearance at Old Navy--thanks Gottadeal!) Candy baskets are from my Dad for all 3 grandkids (I buy, he pays). Easter egg hunt prizes are now tickets, redemable at the end for a Target gift card (there's just the 3 kids, and one older cousin who keeps it all under control--he gets itunes as a thank you).

I love Easter!!!! Me and my Mother in law make easter baskets every year. She used to own a flower shop and she's great at making it baskets, lol, I really just help!!! But there are tons of babies and grand kids.

But for my kids 8 year old boy and 2 year old girl, this is what i have!!! LOL I know it's too much, but will try to make it all fit. Because I paid little of nothing for any of it!!!! Thanks you every one here at Gottadeal!!!!

8 year old Son

Ipod shuffle (free from ipodsweepstakes)

walkie talkie watches (free from kool codes)

A very cool test product (free of course)

Colgate Spongebod toothbrush (another freebie)

a pair of shorts on clearence at Target

a book, make things from garbage on clearence at Target

I picked up some other toys on clearence at Target I can't remember what they are.

All candy was 90% off from Target's V-day clearence!!!!

Fishing lures Target clearence

EB Pocket knife Target clearence

tackle/lunch box Target clearence

2 year old Daughter

All candy was 90% off from Target's V-day clearence!!!!

Tons of Polly pocket stuff from Target's christmas clearence

elmo purse with cookies in it also 90% off v-day target clearence

Pink dress also 90% off v-day target clearence

Bubbles on a clain target toy clearence

Big Bratz Bady for 6.24 to go on top I got from Target clearence

I know she has more, but it's in my attac from Target's christmas clearence.

4 year old Nephew

remote control flying disk 4.95 target christmas clearence

wrap up, put some candy in and tie it up with a bow

3 year old Newphew

go go ??? trucks and tools from Target clearence 4.95

wrap up, put some candy in and tie it up with a bow

2 under 1 year old Nieces

elmo purse, wrap up, put some baby cookies in and tie it up with a bow

gund purse, wrap up, put some baby cookies in and tie it up with a bow

Both with money from surveys using amazon GC

I had 50.00 Target GC from surveys for most of my Target buys

All I need to buy is some Easter baggies to put v-day candy in, A few Cadberry eggs and a chocalate bunny from the dollar store and the easter paper to ruffle the baskets with.

I still need to get stuff for DH and my mom. Candy for both, Video game for Dh and something for bath and body works for my mom.

I will be putting in my samples and freebies I have been saving up for filler in both of their baskets.

As you can tell, I love Easter!!!!!

I was reading the other posts. I bought of my kids Crocs, free after doing surveys, but I caved and already gave them to both of them.

I have been getting the $.39-$.79 candy at walgreens for the last few weeks so my boys are pretty much done as far as candy goes I do need to get each of them a bunny. I have always done "kid" toothpaste and toothbrush in their baskets. Oldest son now 15 y\o said to me yesterday that he would really like some whitening toothpaste and not the bubblegum flavored one anymore that he doesn't feel that his teeth are clean using the gum flavored paste. I also add a video game or game card in their baskets each year. This is the only thing that I "really" pay for as my candy is bought with GC for rebates from walgreens and toothbrushes and paste I got on sale with coupons paid $.49 for each paste and $.30 for each brush bought at walgreens as well.

Okay you guys are scaring me. I am a new Grandma to a five month old boy and look forward especially to next Easter. But it is scary to think that Easter has turned into another Christmas or Birthday like celebration. I'll admit I am not a spring chicken but when we were kids we got some dyed hard boiled eggs and some of those Hard candy coated marshmallow type eggs. And as a special treat our Grandma usually got us one of the chocolate bunnies. With my children I did expand a little to also hiding some plastic eggs with candy or as they got older change in them. But they never received all these gifts. I think my kids were always happy on Easter just to find the eggs and hide them over and over again as we did growing up. They did not expect anything else except maybe their new Easter outfit. It's hard to go against society but I hope every holiday doesn't turn into this major gift giving occasion. How does the Easter Bunny haul all that stuff around?

My son is getting more little gifts than candy. Hes still watching what he eats. He totally cut out candy so he told me to get him mints or sugar free gum. I also got him a Rubiks cube he wanted, 3 PS2 games, iTunes GC, cologne, and a new wallet.

My daughter is getting perfume, lotion, lipgloss, easter candy, etc. Still not done with her as yet.

Im trying not to buy so much candy as I've done in the past.

Same here!!! I don't mind buy the clearnece stuff because I got like 4 big bags of m&ms for

.27 cents. I can break those up and put them in Easter baggies.

The candy is a waste because after a couple of days, they don't want it anymore. I would rather spend the money on something that will last and they can get real enjoyment out of.

Beside me and Dh eat all the left overs......

I completely agree with Vicloo. Easter is turning into a very commercialized holiday. I do support it more than Valentine's. There's nothing like pressuring the one you love to treat you extra special the same day everyone else does by giving you a $100 5-foot teddy bear that takes up your entire closet.

I usually get the kids some spring oriented stuff.. last year it was small shovels, seeds, potting soil, gloves, and an apron, tucked inside a planter.

This year, it's a bunch of Elmo stuff from See Spot Save for DD2, and not quite sure for DS.. maybe a few new baseballs, grip tape, and a batting glove.

They had some cute premade baskets at Target, actually with quality stuff. They had a Mr. Potato Head one that is so cute. You can't stuff a basket for the price.

DH's old company always has a huge egg hunt for the kids. They just rope off squares by age, and throw out tons of candy, cans of pop, and $ stuffed eggs. They have prize codes in the eggs, you go to the corresponding table that is chock full of different leveled toys. Last year, DS got a couple of gamecube games, some plug & plays, and a bunch of stuff. DD didn't get a prize egg, but they gave her all sorts of stuff anyways. This year, unless we go with friends, the kids won't get to go.

I'm a bit behind getting started this year. The kids had vacation and then the next week they were home sick. My first stop was Kohl's this morning. I found a bunny for dd1 for $5.99, 3 pairs of tights on clearance for $1.20 each, and a PlayDoh Easter set with cutouts for ds5 for $5.99. I don't do as much now with 3 kids as I did with one, but the littler ones don't know, lol. I also try to avoid a ton of candy because they just don't need it. I'm thinking a DS game for ds10 and maybe a leapster game for ds5. For the baby, I'll probably put in a couple of bags of the dried fruit that she likes anyway. I try to get stuff that I'd want to get them anyway and then stash it for their baskets.

I really like the idea of the themed basket, like the gardening stuff. That's a very cute way to do it! I love giving them useful things. :) I'm sorry that ds5 knows about the baseball stuff we got him, because I'd put that stuff in his basket, lol.

I spend around 25.00 per child. Maybe a bit more on they 8 year old, but my 2 year old stuff doesn't cost as much. I don't think that is so bad. I know my list seems like alot of stuff and it is, but..... I got the stuff for very little. And we use the same baskets every year and that helps cut down the cost as well.

The baskets turn out beautiful each year. After we pack and ruffle them I will post my pictures here so everyone can see.

For me, it's pure enjoyment to make the baskets and to have my kids eyes light up when they see how pretty they are.

I like them themed basket ideas too.

I do love making them up, too! When ds10 had his first Easter, I put so much time into it. I picked up lots of things here and there on sale and my mom bought a Snoopy dressed as a bunny at a Russell Stover outlet. It had teal blue and yellow on it. I took from that and wrapped all of his little gifts in blue and teal wrapping paper and decorated the handle of the basket with coordinating ribbons. It was awesome!!!

Last year I did pick up some rolls of ribbon on sale for 50 cents or so and wrapped up the handles of their baskets. I'll have to retrieve those baskets back to use again. They were nice ones that I had gotten on sale for about $3 each. When we were little we always reused the same ones every year. My kids like to take them to tote their stuff around in! Basket nabbers!

I picked up a couple more things from the online hot deals tonight. DD (almost 1!) is getting a really cute seersucker ladybug outfit and some olive green capris. I found two t-shirts for ds10. I also pulled out the Percy that we got for $2.99 and added that to the things I grabbed today at Kohl's.

This is such a nice break after the terrible last two weeks I've had with sick and miserable kids. I love to shop, even if I walk out only spending $3 on a great bargain, lol. Tomorrow morning I think I will hit Target.

Okay you guys are scaring me. I am a new Grandma to a five month old boy and look forward especially to next Easter. But it is scary to think that Easter has turned into another Christmas or Birthday like celebration. I'll admit I am not a spring chicken but when we were kids we got some dyed hard boiled eggs and some of those Hard candy coated marshmallow type eggs. And as a special treat our Grandma usually got us one of the chocolate bunnies. With my children I did expand a little to also hiding some plastic eggs with candy or as they got older change in them. But they never received all these gifts. I think my kids were always happy on Easter just to find the eggs and hide them over and over again as we did growing up. They did not expect anything else except maybe their new Easter outfit. It's hard to go against society but I hope every holiday doesn't turn into this major gift giving occasion. How does the Easter Bunny haul all that stuff around?

I completely agree, and while I've never had a theological issue with Santa (I can easily separate the secular Christmas from the religious Christmas) I've always wondered how a physiologically impossible rabbit bearing chocolate has anything to do with the resurrection of Christ :) So, when my kids were younger I made sure that I got them each an age appropriate Easter book, along with say a Veggie Tales video; I usually threw a Spring beanie baby in too along w/a smallish amount of candy. Now that they're older I still keep up the book/video tradition and I usually make sure they are of the more uplifting variety, although not as much so as when they were younger. As my friend's son once said "Oh, you can't listen to Metallica on Easter :)" So I would probably not put "Captain Underpants" or the "Borat" movie in an Easter Basket. But that's just me.

RobD

For our family Easter is a time to spend together outside. A few days before Easter, we have all the kids over to dye eggs. Then we hunt them and play baseball. On easter we go to church, hunt eggs at church, then go eat with family, play some more baseball, then go home and tear open the baskets.

My son does not believe in the easter bunny or santa, but my 2 year old does.

Here is a link to how the Bunny was put in Easter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny

Ok I usually do candy and small dollar toys for my DS8 and my DS16 gets games and stuff (braces so no candy). They both always get a water gun in their easter basket. Goes along with the dollar toys. We dye eggs together the day before easter. After our easter egg hunt we take my 8yr old to the church egg hunt. Dinner with the inlaws and then finally I get to rest.

We not longer have kids in my family young enough for easter to be a big deal. BUt when we did, my grand mother would stock up on lots of small items. After we got our Easter baskets we would empty them except the grass and put them on her back porch outside. We would keep checking bak all day to see what the EB had dropped off when we weren't there. It was great fun for the kids and the adults had a great time all afternoon trying to get new stuff into the baskets without the kids seeing. As soon as one of the kids were to old for the Easter bunny they were recruited to fill the baskets, which kept the whole family included in the game. When my grandmother ran out of candy (or the adults got tired!), she would leave a note in the basket from the Easter Bunny say they had run out of candy and would see us next year. It was great fun all afternoon for everyone.

We not longer have kids in my family young enough for easter to be a big deal. BUt when we did, my grand mother would stock up on lots of small items. After we got our Easter baskets we would empty them except the grass and put them on her back porch outside. We would keep checking bak all day to see what the EB had dropped off when we weren't there. It was great fun for the kids and the adults had a great time all afternoon trying to get new stuff into the baskets without the kids seeing. As soon as one of the kids were to old for the Easter bunny they were recruited to fill the baskets, which kept the whole family included in the game. When my grandmother ran out of candy (or the adults got tired!), she would leave a note in the basket from the Easter Bunny say they had run out of candy and would see us next year. It was great fun all afternoon for everyone.

Now that is a great idea!!!!:gdflower3:

my MIL recently told me everything she got the kids for easter and i feel like i dont need to get them anything, lol. only thing she didnt buy them was candy so i will take care of that. i will pick up some chocolates and a few candy pieces, but im not big on candy. my DD will probably get a new bathing suit and earrings and my son will get a new boy-ish crib sheet (since we are still using the ones from DD), some socks, rattles and teethers and a mirrored toy.