Question about PayPal

I've used PayPal for a long time with no problem. Just don't ever link from an email to the PayPal website even if it looks like something from PayPal wanting you to update your account. It may be someone phishing for your information and you may end up with a big charge on your credit card.

Its as safe as any other secured site that you may use. I agree never click on an email to access your account, always go to the site and check it out, too many spam emails out there. I have been on since they started and really like it but it does cost to use. If you have a personal account and can stay within their limitations than its free to use but if you want to use it on like eBay, you will need to get a premier account or have two separate accounts. If you advertise Paypal is available on eBay, than you must bump up to a premier account. I have seen people who have paypal and just list other and when someone emails them about use of paypal, they give them their personal account addy. There is limits on how much you can receive each month and now they did add a few CC transactions are allowed on it so if you are not doing much than you can use it. Some people as I said have both and if someone is paying with CC than they give them the premier account addy, if using instant transfer or echeck than personal account addy (very confusing I know). I personally have the premier one and include the cost of doing business in shipping and handling portion of the auction or in the pricing of the item.

I have used them for several years. I just had my account hijacked last month. Someone in Europe charged almost $700 and since I had my account linked to my checking:no: , it was taking it out of my checking account. PayPal caught it right away, but DID NOT FREEZE THE TRANSACTION, just the Pay Pal account. I had a HUGE mess with my bank and paypal. I ended up having to put stop payments on my checking account at MY COST. The bank said they couldn't do anything because it was hijacked through PayPal and not them. PayPal said they couldn't do any more than freeze my account (they refused to freeze the transaction even though they knew they were illegal) and I needed to talk to my bank as it was now in their court. PayPal also said it was MY FAULT. I should have used a better password and I should make sure it is a password that I only use at their site. I ended up having to change passwords 6 times to get the account reactiveated. I have to go thru their dispute system for both of the illegal charges on my account that they KNEW were illegal! It took over a month to get things corrected. And cost me another $70 in bank fees.

I need a PayPal account to get many of my Survey payments, but I have learned my lesson. As of now, I no longer have any checking, credit or debit accounts listed for my PayPal account. They cannot steal what isn't there. When I need to transfer money, I enter my account info and as soon as the transaction is cleared, I delete it again.

Very reliable and safe. I've used paypal for ebay and other sites now for several years. You can sign up with your debit card to take directly from your checking account, do e-checks, and/or sign up your credit card. I have my checking account registered and also my credit card. For each transaction you can pick which one to use. (At one point I only had my checking account registered, but then with all these deals, I added my credit card! LOL)

Wow! What a bummer. I hope everything works out well for you. I have used Paypal for years but only as a buyer and never had any problems. Although, I always change the payment method from checking (which it automatically defaults to) to charge by credit card with the idea that hopefully my credit card will suspend the payment if there's a problem. Thankfully I've never had to complain. Good luck!

I have seen people who have paypal and just list other and when someone emails them about use of paypal, they give them their personal account addy. There is limits on how much you can receive each month and now they did add a few CC transactions are allowed on it so if you are not doing much than you can use it. Some people as I said have both and if someone is paying with CC than they give them the premier account addy, if using instant transfer or echeck than personal account addy (very confusing I know). I personally have the premier one and include the cost of doing business in shipping and handling portion of the auction or in the pricing of the item.

This is against ebay and paypal policies... Since ebay has financial interests in seeing paypal do well, they can/will:

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Forfeiture of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Limits on account privileges

Loss of PowerSeller status

Account suspension

Anyone use the PayPal Virtual Debit card?

I have been trying to download it and I just get an error message.

I was wondering if it is worth contacting customer service?

If you have a business account, just request the real card...

You can use it even if you don't have the total funds available within a preset limit with backup funding. And yes you do still get the rebate on those transactions, provided you used credit and not debit. The one place the backup funding doesn't like that I've found is gas pumps -- found that out one morning when I tried to use it in a just woke up haze and had drained that sucker a couple days prior. I emailed since I knew it should have just pulled from the backup source. But since it was a gas pump and they don't get the real amount until it processes it doesn't like it. I wondered about restaurants as well since the tip isn't on there. But I'm not trying that. It's one thing to have a gas pump look at you like a deadbeat whos card won't go through, but a waiter/waitress. I'll pass.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Paypal for years and never had a problem. However, thanks to "lawork" I am rethinking having my checking account linked to the account!

One other thing, if I remember correctly, they do NOT have an 800 toll free number for customer service and you may have to wait 20 minutes for a CS agent to answer. NOT good business, IMO.

I have never had a problem with them (I've had them several years) but I do get a lot of scam emails that look like paypal so you have to be careful. Just never click on an email link, go directly to the site to do anything and use a very strong password. :)