A Welcome Gift for New Neighbors

My next door neighbors moved out of their house this past weekend, so I should be getting new neighbors soon. I don't have alot of money seeing how I have 4 boys and one of them has a birthday this week and Christmas on top of it. Should I do something Christmasy or something homey? I don't even know anything about them yet, which makes it even harder. Any suggestions would be apprciated. :)

I don't think anything can beat something homemade on moving day and the days of unpacking. A plate of cookies or a cake or pie are alway great ways to say hello! You never know where anything is for a few days and its nice to sit down and enjoy something when taking a break. You can find cute plates at the dollar store to put them on.

I moved from a big city to a small city about 9 years ago. (Have since moved again.) As the packers were unpacking, a very nice neighbor lady came over with a plate of cookies to welcome us to the neighborhood. Now remember we had just moved from a large city where a lot of times, we had no idea who our neighbors even were. So she introduces herself and tells me the ages of her kids and we chat a bit, she gives me the plate of cookies and off she goes. I hate to say it, but those cookies went right into the garbage. I had 2 small children, 9 mos and almost 3 years old and I had no idea who this lady was.

Later, when she became a good friend, I told her I threw her cookies away and we laughed about it. Mostly because she NEVER EVER bakes and only baked the cookies so she had a reason to meet her new neighbors.

Guest JeepMom

We got so many cupcakes we were sick of them by the time the 4th person showed up with them.

Maybe a gift card to a local pizza place? (maybe too pricey)

I wouldn't go religous holiday. They may not celebrate Christmas.

Guest mldepalma
When we moved to our current home about 7 years ago - out neighbors brought over a nice hand painted "Welcome" sign. It was a very simple stone plaque that we put outside our front door. We have since moved it into the kitchen and it still hangs there today. It was a really nice "welcome" gift. You don't have to be a great artist at all. In fact, there are places like Cape Cod Outfitters that sell homemade gifts. I bet you could find something there for not too much money. Or cut a piece of wood and stain it, or paint it.... Oh he**, forget it, this is sounding like too much trouble. Make some brownies... I hope they're nice neighbors!

On moving day what about taking over a bag of chips and sandwiches or getting a large pizza from one of the places with the $5 deals? Moving day is so hectic (especially if they are doing it themselves without the help of movers) that it is hard to slow down to eat.

Amie

Thanks for all the great ideas. :gdthankyou: I just came home a little while ago and seen the new neighbors moving in. I baked cookies all morning long, so I took them some cookies. I really liked the idea of the nice plate from a dollar store, but seeing how it was very last minute I used a paper plate. As I was walking out the door I heard the guy say to his wife 'that was nice', so I feel like I accomplished what I wanted to. Thanks again to everyone!!

I moved from a big city to a small city about 9 years ago. (Have since moved again.) As the packers were unpacking, a very nice neighbor lady came over with a plate of cookies to welcome us to the neighborhood. Now remember we had just moved from a large city where a lot of times, we had no idea who our neighbors even were. So she introduces herself and tells me the ages of her kids and we chat a bit, she gives me the plate of cookies and off she goes. I hate to say it, but those cookies went right into the garbage. I had 2 small children, 9 mos and almost 3 years old and I had no idea who this lady was.

I would've done the same thing. Right in the trash. I stay on the if-it's-in-the-original-packaging-I'll-eat-it side of the aisle.

The night we moved into our house in town our neighbor across the street brought us a family meal from Churchs ... it was right around the corner. Think that is the best thing we have ever gotten because we had just bought our first house and were broke to say the least lol. We were tired and I was dreading cooking that night. :) I thought it was so sweet. Plus it was an older man who was widowed so that made it that much more sweet. The fact that he thought of us.