Your thoughts on Google Checkout?

alimfp

It has helped me out TREMENDOUSLY. I have probably saved well over $100 using google checkout. I have used it with:

Sports Authority

Toys R Us (pretty fast shipping)

Buy.com (VERY fast shipping)

The only thing I can say I do not like about it is when you use a debit card to pay, if you bought, for example, 3 or 4 items totaling over $50, each item will show up as a separate transaction on your bank account statement or your online access to checking, if your bank has that. So when I write down in my checkbook that my total was $54.23, it won't show up that way on statement, but each item will show up as one transaction. This is a real PAIN :( So I have learned that I must make a note of this on each entry total in my checkbook.

I think it has been a GREAT thing other than this. The grand total on each order is what should show up on your account, and the stores and/or google need to figure out how to do this, because it is a big hassle. :yup:

It has helped me out TREMENDOUSLY. I have probably saved well over $100 using google checkout. I have used it with:

Sports Authority

Toys R Us (pretty fast shipping)

Buy.com (VERY fast shipping)

jr.com (fast shipping)

The only thing I can say I do not like about it is when you use a debit card to pay, if you bought, for example, 3 or 4 items totaling over $50, each item will show up as a separate transaction on your bank account statement or your online access to checking, if your bank has that. So when I write down in my checkbook that my total was $54.23, it won't show up that way on statement, but each item will show up as one transaction. This is a real PAIN :( So I have learned that I must make a note of this on each entry total in my checkbook.

I think it has been a GREAT thing other than this. The grand total on each order is what should show up on your account, and the stores and/or google need to figure out how to do this, because it is a big hassle. :yup:

I'm glad to see you said buy.com has fast shipping. I had no experience with them until a few hours ago.

I finally decided I wasn't going to find a particular toy in a store by Christmas. I am kicking myself for not buying it last month! Even online was slim pickings to find it in stock.

Buy.com said if you ordered by 12/16, it will be here for Christmas. It was already 12/17 for me, but I think they meant California time.

I really hope it comes in time! I like that I could find the order on their site even though I used google checkout. The order I did for TRU never showed up on their website although they emailed me an order number and links...that did not work.

• 2 weeks later...
I loved it! I had about 10 different orders on Buy.com and most came within a week, 1 took almost 2 weeks. I'm only a couple hours from their headquarters so that might have something to do with it. Too bad the deals are over. I'm having major withdrawals now without those lovely $10 & $20 discounts. :bigcry:

I use google checkout for my online business. First, the orders are submitted right when you pay. I know mine come right through to my email. Unless there is a problem with your address verifcation, your orders are processed, authorized and charged in a matter of minutes with the full email going to the seller right then and there. I have processed so far in Dec $3261 in payments with no hitches (well okay 1, the lady tried to use a fraudulent CC that google blocked her payment).

And we do have to pay a % of the transaction fee to Google but they extended their "fee free" until the end of 2007... so for my $3261, I saved over $100 in paypal fees!

It's good to see retailers giving their comments and insights on the G_C_. I'm hooked on it, since some have ended their 10/30-20/50, I haven't made those stores my first choice for repeat purchases since they ended, unless it was a good experience (buy.c_ was very fast thru out Christmass). The G_C_ site makes recalling purchases on the spot quicker than snail mail monthly statements (i.e.: am on a road trip, at some hotel I'd rather access g_c_ vs my bank). I realize that most credit cards charge the retailer on every transaction, I seem to recall that Amex was something like 7%, but if thats added to the consumer cost, it's pretty hard for me to detect-while using this g_c_, between froogle search/multiple store $$'s posted, it makes it alot easier for me to decide-who's who & where savings are. Plus I save time by just submitting one password, and avoid having to create multiple accounts/type all those digits everytime=ease.

All-in-all, 1) When a retailer offers g_c_, I'm going to select them over an non g_c_ site. 2) When a retailer offers 10/30,20/50 over any site (cost within reason), I'm going to select them. 3) When shipping is involved-none of the above apply, I'm going with the free ship offer, then fall back to the first two priorities if available.

Now if rebates could just be as easy!!

Got my order from Buy.com using google check out. But google waited 5 days before placing the order with Buy.com. Not happy about that. Saved me $, but could honestly say that if they don't have a promo in future I won't do business with them.

I have a merchant account I am in the process of closing anyway. I pay $32.95 a month for it PLUS a % of the transaction fee. If someone buys an item for $35.00 (that includes shipping... this is my last order) I gave my merchant account $1.74 or something like that. But for months I get just a few sales, I am still paying that $32.95! So I am definitely integrating GC into my website and taking out my merchant account. I can also invoice ppl direct and I can even offer coupons or discounts!