How Early Is Too Early To Tell Santa's Secret

kaplanham

don't give up! I think it would be very traumatic for a child to grow up w/o Santa. Also, think of all the other children she will tell at daycare or when she gets to school. I would threaten the cousins with their gifts or their lives, and let your daughter be a child.

My sister is 13 years younger than me, and we had so much fun keeping Santa's secret, but she was told Santa's secret at her babysitter's. She came home one day and told me, while rubbing my hand for support, and for me not to be sad. She was 4 at the time.

don't give up! I think it would be very traumatic for a child to grow up w/o Santa. Also, think of all the other children she will tell at daycare or when she gets to school. I would threaten the cousins with their gifts or their lives, and let your daughter be a child.

I was around 4 years old when I figured out there was no santa & it did not have no traumatic affect on me.

Well...I just asked my son and I just found out that my son knew at the age of 7 (I thought 10) but he didn't tell me because he didn't want to upset me because he knew, and I quote, "you are into that whole thing and it would have made you cry that your little boy was growing up". I do remember crying at 10 when I knew for sure...I'm such a sap! I asked him how he found out and he said, again I quote, "Hello...public school. And all my friends have older brothers and sisters"

Oh well...I still believe in Santa! I saw him at the mall last week and he looked mighty alive and well!

I would threaten the cousins with their gifts or their lives, and let your daughter be a child.

Exactly! I would be furious if those cousins ruined it for your daughter. Three years old is practically a baby! And why on earth would you EVER tell your child there is no Santa Claus??? Let them figure it out on their own...:confused:

I have to add some thoughts here. My oldest asked quite young about Santa. I told him the truth and it has never lessened Christmas or the fun or the excitement for any of us. Both my kids knew the truth about Christmas and it has always been a truly magical time. We still put out treats and something to drink. In fact, we have a special cup and plate for it.

My kids are now 12 and 14 and it hasn't been traumatic. And they never told a soul. Grownups would ask them what Santa gave them or what they wanted from Santa and they played along.

It really is up to each family what works. I really wanted to teach my kids what Christmas was to me so I emphasized that part of our life.

I never thought about a right time to tell my kids. When it came up, we dealt with it. Still magical, still special, still have Santas in the house as decorations...we even do St. Nicks nite where we leave out slippers. Just because you know there isn't a Santa doesn't lessen the specialness of the Season.

My DD age 5 came home from school the other day a said "Mom, I don't think the Santa at the mall is real." I responded by telling her that I wasn't sure because since there are many children Santa can't be everywhere at the same time, so sometimes he has helpers and you never know who it is going to be. So when we were watching the Thanksgiving parade she asked if that was the real one. I told her yes.

:( Poor baby ... imo 3 is way to young to find out. I was like 8 and I stopped believing... because my mom sat me down and tried to tell me what was and what was not real. I still have no clue what she was thinking. She never made it to Santa because I started bawling after the Easter Bunny but I had an idea after that he was not real. We had to go to my granma's Christmas Eve and did not get back till like 3 in the morning. I thought ha ah I have them, I will know once and for all ;). Well my dad pulled a fast one on me ... I later learned that our neighbors an older couple down the street had a key and came in and put Christmas out. I was SHOCKED when he had already put out my presents! It was the most memorable Christmas I have ever had and I didn't quit believing again till I was probably 11! And even then I still believed he just looked more like my dad than Santa ;).

Dont give up, shes too young still. Thell her cousins to keep their mouths shut. My 16 and 13 year old better not tell me they dont believe in santa.

omg I read that last sentence and burst out laughing, got coffee all over my keyboard! I SO agree my 3 lil lovelies better not say they dont believe to me either. I am 35 and i still BELIEVE

Keep the Magic alive for your 3 yr old and give those cousins of hers a big box of COAL!

As 2 others have posted, I also tell my children that if you believe in Santa, then he is real. My boys found out while we were in the car and listening to the radio a country singer talked about helping her mother be Santa to her younger siblings. I was so mad at the radio station, something so innocently said by that singer ruined it for my boys and how many other children.

Guest JeepMom
My 3yo thinks there are a lot of santa and mommies help santas shop. I sell on eBay so we have a lot of toys come through that aren't ours. I tell her that I'm helping Santa shop for another mommy. It's kinda complicated in theory but she's fine with it in her mind. That being said she went and sat on Santa's lap and told him what she wanted.

If Santa is a tradition in your home, then you should def talk to the cousins, etc and make them understand. 3 is very little and if this story is special to your family, you should work to keep it going.

My children have never had Santa, but know the story and have helped keep the secret for their friends. They have not been traumatized by it at all.