Please help with inexpensive gift ideas for young children

I come from two very large close knit families (my mom and my dad each have 6 siblings) and I have always purchased gifts for my cousins and their children. However as time has progressed it has gotten more and more difficult and expensive to purchase for all of the children. My husband and I do not have any children which makes it even more difficult for me to purchase nice things for all 8 of them. I need to buy for 3 girls who are 6 months, 5yo and 4yo and 4 boys who are 1, 2, 4 and 5. I already purchased my 5yo god daughter a Elmo TMX because her dad is in Kuwait this Christmas and they don't have much money so I wanted to spend more on her. I would like to stay in the $5.00 to $10.00 range but still get them something they would enjoy and that would be age appropriate (which I am also clueless about!) I would be very appreciative of any suggestions! Thank you in advance! :)

Are planning on shopping on BF? When the deals are the greatest...

Is so, just looking at the WM ad, you can get..

DVD's $1.88-3.44/each

Doodle Bear, Monster, Dino - $10/each

Candy land or Operation - $10 for a 2 pack

Little people Surprise Sounds Fun park - $10

Barbie Dolls - $5/each

20pk of hot wheels - $10

For Target they have...

Games for $3.99 (Lets go fishing, Matching game, Cootie, etc)

Sleeping Bag Combo $6 (Bag, Flashlight, Drink bottle, Backpack & whistle)

PJ's $6.99

Doodle Bear $7/each (cheaper than WM)

Well.. those are a few things I found under $10. Kinda hard cuz things are getting expensive these day.

Good luck, and I'm sure they'll love whatever you get them.

Thanks for the quick responses! I did see some of the things for the girls. I was considering the Cabbage Patch Kids from WM or the Disney Princess Sparkle Cinderella from Kmart. I also thought the Furreal newborns are really cute and the 5 year old really wants a kitten and can't have one so I thought that might be good. But I'm not sure how much they are regularly at kmart so I don't know if that would stay under $10.00. Are the Cabbage Patch Kids still popular? It's tough when I don't know what toys that they have. And trying to be fair and spend the same amount on all of them. The boys seem to be even more difficult. I haven't seen anything in the ads that is under $10.00. I know they have tons of games so the inexpensive games are out!

What is the 50% off?

Thanks again I really appreciate the help and ideas! Please keep them coming if you have any other suggestions! I'm really clueless because I don't have kids and I want to get them things they will enjoy! Just on a budget! :)

Thanks DM Miller. I really appreciate it! I had completely looked past the doodle bear and a lot of those other things. I just seem to miss a lot when I look through the ads! Stupid question, but what is a doodle bear? Do you write on it? Like one of the weiner dogs we used to have people sign? I couldn't tell from the ad. I can google it but are they fun and the kids enjoy them? I thought it was cute!

I have 2 boys (1.5 and 4) They love movies, dressing up (cowboys, pirates, knights), doctors kit (6.99 BF TRU), tool set, Thomas take along engines ( pretty cheap at WM), hot wheels cars, little people sets (for the 1&2 yr olds -a little babyish for the older boys), play doh, dinosaurs, puzzles, books, any kind of action figure.

It's hard to say what they'd like character wise. Big ones now are Diego, Spiderman, Thomas the train, Backyardigans ???

If you have a Kohl's neaby, the 50% on toys Bf is a good deal and if you spend $50 you usually get $10 Kohl's cash. Hope this helps.

I feel your pain - I have 4 kids and we also buy for all of my cousin's kids - I think I counted 50 some odd people that we absolutely have to buy for (family only) - and of those, at least 24 are kids - ranging from a few weeks old this Christmas to 15 years old - Most are under 10. (7 of them are less than a year old)

I buy year round when I find things I like. You had some good suggestions for the girls & some ideas of your own already. For the boys, the Doodle Monsters are cute for the 2 older ones. I saw some Giggle Balls at Wal-Mart tonight that are an elephant & a cow for $6.97 - my oldest son & youngest daughter LOVED those when they were little - we had cats, dogs & I want to say horses, but I could be wrong. Most little boys LOVE flashlights, too for some reason.....

Christy

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions. I went on a toy expedition this morning and only came back with one thing! I got the Pound Puppy from TRU this morning for the other 5yo girl I hadn't purchased for yet. They had one that was dressed as a bride and I bought her the barbie bride last year on BF (I can't remember where I got it) and she loved it just because it was a bride. Since she's the one who wanted a pet and loves brides I thought it was fate. I also wanted to look around for things I thought might be nice. I tried Kohl's (even with the sale this morning their toys still seemed expensive) Walmart and TRU. I think I just made it worse for myself. There is just so much and not much in the $10.00 price range. I think I'm going to limit myself to what I can get on BF so that I know what I'm going in for in advance!

On BF the i-dog is going to be 10 normally 17 to 27 dollars. The puppy version is one of the gifts my 3.5 yr old is getting. But the regular i-dog could be good for your 5yr old boy. I was told It does NOT require an ipod. Just a CD player.

Games are always good to. A small hand held game. My 3.5 yr loves them. He has been playing them since he was 2. Well he thinks he was playing because of the screen changing and making noise. LOL. Great for parents to. It keeps the kids occupied in the car. You can normally get them for around 7 dollars. The mr. potatoe head has been my sons favorite.

Good Luck in your search. PS girls love the little hand held games too.