Do you buy each kid the same # of gifts or spend the same $ on each?

amyers12345

Do you spend the same amount or get each kid the same # of presents?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you spend the same amount or get each kid the same # of presents?

• spend the same amount
    • same number of presents

My dh says not to be concerned at all about spending the same amount OR the same ## of gifts. My DD is 2 and DS is 7... They don't care at all, and i'm sure my ds will rip his open so fast he has no clue that they got the same amount or not.

What do you do? Do you make sure they have the same number of presents, or do you keep track of price and even them that way?

Actually neither. I mean, one of them doesn't get 40 and the other 2, but it depends on what they ask for, how much it costs etc. My ds is 16 months old, he doesn't care, he did not ask for anything and probably has the least # of presents. My dd4 asked for many things (inexpensive) so she has the highest # of presents. (for example, she wants princess chapstick, stickers, paper to paint on, and TWO colors of pens LOL) My sweet stepdaught(8) asked for for exactly 11 things. I gave one idea off of her list to each grandmother and then bought everything else, she has the least amount of money. BUT she is only with us everyother weekend so she doesn't need a whole lot of stuff either. She still has things from last year she hasn't even touched yet.

I honestly think it depends on the ages of the kids. When they get older and might care then I will watch more closely.

Our kids 7,6, & 3 are really not into the expensive stuff yet so I usually pick toys off their lists that are about the same $$ amount and then buy them all the same number of gifts. EX: DS-6 loves the movie Cars so I got him the $20.00 lighting McQueen car, DD-7 wanted a doodle bear so I picked her up a $15.00 doodle bear and got an extra set of markers for $5.00 to put on the side of the box, DD-3 loves ponies so I picked up a Bratz Baby Big Pony for $19.00. I spent the same amount on all three and they all got a toy. Now for clothes we try to do the same thing but sometimes something will be on sale EX: we are getting all the kids two sets of pjs, well I found an awesome pj set that was priced at $12.99 the other day at Kmart for DD-3 which is what the other two got a set for and when I took it to the register it rang up for only $1.50. That just means I saved some money, we won't buy her another pj set to make up the price.

Now when the kids get older and want more expensive stuff I will go with just a set dollar amount.

When they were younger and at home I did both. The older three are move out so I will spend more on the younger three than the older three. Two of my older ones will be spending part of Christmas at other places so they are all fine with this. I told the older ones last year that I would probably not do stockings for them this year but I enjoy it to much to give it up so I will surprise them with that little bit of extra.

My kids all have the same number of presents under the tree. They are still pretty young (11, 5, and 3) so they don't really care how much we spend on each of them. We just try to get them some of the things they want. If that means we end up spending $400 on one and $200 on the other two, that's fine as long as they are happy with what they recieve.

My kids all have the same number of presents under the tree. They are still pretty young (11, 5, and 3) so they don't really care how much we spend on each of them. We just try to get them some of the things they want. If that means we end up spending $400 on one and $200 on the other two, that's fine as long as they are happy with what they recieve.

Mine are 6 and (almost) 9 and we do the same thing. They have no concept of how much things cost anyway, but they would notice if one had 5 presents and the other had 10. We just try to get them what they want within reason.

I only have one at home to buy for so that makes it easy! And I go way over board on gifts for her. Her brother also spends a lot on her at Christmas. She will be 17 next week.

When they were small we spent about the same amount of money on each one so their amount of gifts ranged on what they had asked for according to price. Most of the time our daughter got more gifts because she asked for smaller dollar amount gifts as to where our son asked for more expensive items. But money wise we spent the same on each one.

Our kids 7,6, & 3 are really not into the expensive stuff yet so I usually pick toys off their lists that are about the same $$ amount and then buy them all the same number of gifts. EX: DS-6 loves the movie Cars so I got him the $20.00 lighting McQueen car, DD-7 wanted a doodle bear so I picked her up a $15.00 doodle bear and got an extra set of markers for $5.00 to put on the side of the box, DD-3 loves ponies so I picked up a Bratz Baby Big Pony for $19.00. I spent the same amount on all three and they all got a toy. Now for clothes we try to do the same thing but sometimes something will be on sale EX: we are getting all the kids two sets of pjs, well I found an awesome pj set that was priced at $12.99 the other day at Kmart for DD-3 which is what the other two got a set for and when I took it to the register it rang up for only $1.50. That just means I saved some money, we won't buy her another pj set to make up the price.

Now when the kids get older and want more expensive stuff I will go with just a set dollar amount.

That's what I do.

We have two little ones (3 & 4) they live with us full time and our older two (9&11) spend Christmas with us and there other parents family. (Its the whole His, hers, and ours thing.) So we get the little ones more gifts because the older ones get two Christmas's. But the two younger ones get the same amount and the two older ones do to.

i don't think it really matters...i only have 1 child but have nieces and nephews...spent $100 on one and like $20 on another but got them both exactly what they asked for so i think that they will both be happy. usually works out that way..one or the other asks for a higher priced something..usually only get nieces and nephews 1 gift each plus stockings.

I have 2 kids, ages 8 and 4. I try to make sure they have the same number of gifts, but do not try to get the same monetary value, if I did the numbers would never ad up. They just did their lists for santa, daughter asked for 4 things - a nintendo DS lite with nintendogs, biggest littlest pet shop, fur real friends white tiger . My 4 year old son asked for the gameboy pack at tru, the train table set at tru and this car thing I ordered from lakeside.com. I was shocked when I realized that with just the things they asked santa for there is almost a 100 dollar price difference in favor of the 4 year old! LOL oh well as long as they get what they ask for and it is in reason. Still have to buy from mom and dad too. Cant let santa get all the credit :)

In my situation it's difficult to spend same amount on kids. We have 4 children ages, 21,20,13, and 11. So the price range for items on their list varies. We say we are going to spend same amount but with the 2 oldest, it's difficult as their items tend to be a bit more expensive. We give it a shot every year. Our main thing, if they are happy on Christmas morning, then we did great.

With a 16 yr old and a 10 year old, it's hard to spend the same amount and have the same amount of presents. They both know that the DD - 16, will end up with less gifts but hers more and likely will cost more.

Neither of them seem to mind it. As long as they get stuff that they like, they don't have a problem with it.