Need ideas for an "Elf-made" doll, not a "store doll"

OK, so I know this is weird, but I thought it was precious. I really need help, so please put your heads together on this one for me. :confused:

Last night my 7 year old daughter asked if Santa could bring her a doll specially made by the Elves, and not one he got from the store. When I asked her if she wanted it to be all soft, or part porcelain, she said it didn't matter as long as the Elves did their best work. HELP!!!

My mall usually has some unique dolls at one of the kiosks. They would be a good choice. Also sometimes they have doll making kits that are very simple at the craft stores.

A neat idea would be to buy a non-name brand doll. Take it out of the box. Find someone who can embroider it or make a special "tag" that says made by elves or Santa's helpers. It would ad that personal touch that she needs.

If I were you, I would also get some old fashioned looking paper -- something that looks handmade and wrap it in a special box just for her. Then the tag you could write something like "From Santa made especially for (child's name) by Santa's elves"

This will be a very special present for her. :)

Check craft shows for homemade dolls, you can buy 'tags' at AC Moore and the likes that will say made especially for you, make your own tag that says made by the elves. Also I would do something with a necklace or locket around its neck that states something about the magic of the elves has been put inside. That way she has something that she can touch that she can 'feel' the elves made it.

That is a very cute statement, I too would be on a mission to make that wish come true.

She has a ton of build-a-bears so that won't fly. I appreciate all the ideas. I am going to a holiday fair tomorrow so I will let y'all know if I find anything.

PS I like the Eppie!

I was just wondering if you found a doll at the fair you went to. I think it is such a sweet thing for to ask for.

This site has some very cute homemade clothespin dolls...this Christmas one is especially cute, I think:

http://www.clotheslinecuties.com/christmasannie.html ...

But these are very small, only 5 inches ...and probably not dolls to 'play' with.

But here are some bigger elf dolls: http://www.countrysmiles.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=Winter

Your story reminds me of when my daughter was 7 or 8.... she was convinced there was no Santa. So the top thing on her list was a picture of Santa with one of his REAL Reindeer. I thought, "uh oh!" Getting no picture of Santa and his real reindeer would prove to her beyond a shadow of any doubt that there was no Santa!

But then I found out the zoo (in Florida) was selling pictures of children with Santa and his 'real' reindeer. So, I trekked about 30 miles to the zoo, paid my $10 or so admission fee and went all the way across the zoo. They looked at me weird when I said I only wanted a picture of Santa and his reindeer (no child). I think I paid $15 or so for this picture. Of course, in Florida, I worried because there was no snow and palm trees in the background. So 'Santa' wrote a long letter with the picture about how it was falltime when he had the picture made and that was why there was no snow, but it was very cold in the North Pole and that is why he had his 'suit' on. The picture showed the reindeer all decked out in holiday reins and stuff. His collar said "Comet" on it.

I put the picture in a gorgeous ceramic Christmas picture frame shaped like a Gingerbread house and was planning to put it under the tree. I spent about $50 in all on the mess, but it was priceless!

That year, a relative suddenly died on Christmas Eve and I had to go to Tennessee on Christmas Eve, leaving the job of Santa Claus to my husband and oldest daughter who was 15. My younger daughter was CONVINCED there was a Santa after that.... after all, how else would her stuff get there without mom there??? And plus, she had her picture of Santa with a REAL reindeer, Comet!!! She still keeps her Santa picture by her bed, even though she is almost 12 now.

Florida, that story about Santa and his reindeer picture is priceless. Brought such a smile to my face and I could definitely see me doing this for one of my children. Good for you for making it happen for her and keeping the magic of Christmas alive for her a little longer.

I was not able to attend the holiday fair, but I did find something. My daughter has several porcelain dolls and is NUTS over cats. Jungle cats, domesticated cats...makes no difference to her. I lucked up and found a Victorian Porcelain Cat Doll online! It looks just like a stand up beautifully-dressed doll, but it's a cat. She will absolutely flip! Thanks for all the ideas. Oh, I'm also going to get a "special" tag for it from the Elves.

I was not able to attend the holiday fair, but I did find something. My daughter has several porcelain dolls and is NUTS over cats. Jungle cats, domesticated cats...makes no difference to her. I lucked up and found a Victorian Porcelain Cat Doll online! It looks just like a stand up beautifully-dressed doll, but it's a cat. She will absolutely flip! Thanks for all the ideas. Oh, I'm also going to get a "special" tag for it from the Elves.

I am so happy you found one! I look forward to reading about her reaction.

:holiday08 :holiday08 :holiday08

I just had to share...when I was little I wanted a cabbage patch doll (it was in the craze, i'm 27 now), my parents could not find one! Somehow my parents found a lady that made them herself (i guess for the cabbage patch company or something)...they told me that Mrs. Claus had made it special for me (she looked like a cabbage patch, but homemade looking too). I still have that doll and I still remember that story...I felt so special that Mrs. Claus would take the time to make sure I had my doll. I would look online for someone who makes dolls themselves (not a company)...good luck on finding the perfect one for your little girl...believe me, she will remember it :) I did.

I just had to share...when I was little I wanted a cabbage patch doll (it was in the craze, i'm 27 now), my parents could not find one! Somehow my parents found a lady that made them herself (i guess for the cabbage patch company or something)...they told me that Mrs. Claus had made it special for me (she looked like a cabbage patch, but homemade looking too). I still have that doll and I still remember that story...I felt so special that Mrs. Claus would take the time to make sure I had my doll. I would look online for someone who makes dolls themselves (not a company)...good luck on finding the perfect one for your little girl...believe me, she will remember it :) I did.

My sister (she is 15 years older than me) made a cabbage patch for me when I was 5 or 6. I loved it!!

I got one of those dolls, too and I still have her to this day. I was always told they were called Adoption Dolls.