Is price matching really a good idea?

sbwolfer

I notice that a lot of people say they price match items at different stores. I am just wondering if in some ways this backfires on us. If you take a Target sales ad to Walmart to price match items, then Walmart is getting your business when in truth they aren't the ones who have the better deals. Maybe if we gave our business only to the stores with the best deals then the other stores would be encouraged to offer better BF prices the following year. Does that make any sense? LOL

The only reason I like to pricematch is because I can do one stop shopping. But I normally dont do it on black Fri since its so crowded and that takes time for the people behind us ... I will price match though on regular days expecially at the base since I can get a lower price plus no tax :eek:

We only have Walmart in our area. My closest Target, Best Buy, Circuit City and even ole Kmart is at least 25 miles away.

Last year was the first time I price matched and I will definitely do it again. It's not worth it in gas money for me to drive 25 miles to shop somewhere else.

I price match even on BF items. Why use my gas going from store to store to get an item(s) when I can get the same item with price match. I had some items in layaway at walmart and TRU had a few things cheaper in the toy book. I took the ad. I saved over $150.00.

FYI .. Just noticed on Best Buy's BF ad it states:

"Best Buy's price match policy does not apply to items in this ad an is not valid on prior purchases."

So... I guess Best Buy is out of the price match picture for this year --and-- it appears they will not refund the difference if you purchased the same item within the last 30 days.

:(

I live in the middle nowhere.........For me to go to Target it's over an hour away, so is best buy, staples, toys r us etc etc, but Walmart is about 1 mile from me. That is why I do as many PMs as possible. Why would I want to drive all that way if I don't have to!

I price match to help put more money in my pocket. For me that is the whole reason that I shop on Black Friday. I have a limited budget to buy my gifts with. We go to Wal-Mart and then it is a 1/2 hour or longer drive to Target. The items would all be gone that I wanted. Also, I don't have to fight the crowd at those particular items at Wal-Mart because a lot of people around here apparently do not price match and the items are well stocked.

To be honest, if I were in charge, there would be no price matching at my store on BF. I just don't think BF falls under the category of your typical everyday sale, so it would be easy for stores to simply refuse their policy for that day.

Having said that, if the store allows it, and you can benefit from it, you're not breaking any policies by utilizing it, so I say, "Go For It!" If the store didn't want to match prices, IMO, they just wouldn't participate.

A couple of situations when it's a great idea to pricematch:

A) 110% pricematch policy... i.e. if their price is $100 more than the other store, they'll give you and extra $10 off.

B) Occasionally, you can get a place to pricematch to the after rebate price (when it's a store rebate). This avoids the tax on the rebate amount.

I think it's great. For example, store A has one item you really want at a great price and store B has another item that you want just as badly for a great price. Both stores open at the same time. You can't be in two places at once. So if you can get them both at one store for both great prices then I say got for it.

not only that, also take into consideration for example, that in BrandSmart you can only buy up to 2 or 3 years extended warranty on electronics (paying more for 3 years of course), but in BestBuy, if you price match that item, the extended warranty will be same price as the 2 years in Brandsmart, but it will give you 4 years !!!!

that's worth something