What do you chase, name brands, or bargain brands

Grants Dad

In looking at the ads, lots of the doorbusters aren't always the "name brands" that we're all familiar with, but they have the best prices. My question, what kinds of products are you willing to go with an off-brand for because it has the great price, as opposed to a good price on an established brand?

Myself, I'd probably be indifferent in terms of DVD and MP3 players, but probably more choosy when it comes to pots/pans, and major appliances.

I try to find name brand quality at bargain brand prices... westinghouse televisions are among the group that fit this catagory.. better then your olevias, which are still among the best of the bargain brands, right down to your polaroids, ilos, and the like. Some people overpay for quality, too... it's a tradeoff. It takes a some research on the brands and smart shopping to come away a smart and satisfied shopper. :o)

Before I jumped on the westinghouse I was considering a panasonic for $900 as a good balance between the ultra cheap models and the expensive sonys and the like... but in the end I heard enough positives about the westinghouse to make the jump.

I've also heard good things about the people who have bought the 37inch emersons from wal mart, which is why I was hoping they'd make them 799 on black friday.. that would have been enough for me to buy one with the extended warranty and take my westinghouse back to best buy.. but if wal mart's ad doesn't change, I'll keep what I have, or may even camp at best buy....

I buy quality not brand. I reasearch most things at least a little. Some of the bargin brands in electronics are just repackaged name brands. I bout a "Bargin" LCD that was exactly(except for the casing) the same as the top of the line LG. Savings $750. Exactly the same quality.

All brand names aren't necessarily better quality. Before I make a larger purchase (and that's pretty much any electronic purchase) I always do my homework before buying. Once I know what I want, I then spend lots of time hunting down the best price for that item. At times, the item I want won't go on sale at all, so I'm forced to pay the retail (video games and systems anyone?). I'm not happy about it though. LOL

If you convince me I got a deal, I'm happy. Even with video games, you can get extras tossed in, and I do look for those types of sales, or sometimes maybe even extra gift certificates to BB or CC.

One thing I won't do though is, buy a TV from Sears. I don't care if they'd charge me 200 less than the best price I found elsewhere. It's not their fault (we've bought several manufacturer's TVs over the years at Sears), but each and every one had problems within the first year. I am just jinxed where they're concerned and I won't buy another one from there ever again.