Would you say something if...?

brynnfromtheblock

I was at Kmart today and their Halloween clearance was 75% off, so I picked up a bunch of stuff. I scanned it to make sure it was ringing up right and on the way to the register I saw these party paks (tablecloth, big bowl, napkins, dessert plates and dinner plates for 25) which were normally 9.99 and would only be 2.50. I picked up a couple for the kids school parties next year and went to the register. She rang everything up, but I couldn't see the screen (plus I was distracted by my 4year old attempting to put unpaid for merchandise in the basket) and I asked her if the party packs were ringing up right because it looked like they were ringing up at 5.00, but I really couldn't tell 'cause I couldn't see. The cashier got very exasperated (not meanly just loudly) and said that none of the Halloween stuff was ringing up right today and now she was going to have to call a supervisor over to void my order, then re-ring the whole thing to fix it. (The people behind me were not happy of course). So she did and it seemed to take them forever to ring it up... when she finally did she said the total was 7 something. I realized immediately that she had just taken 75% off of everything (which all of it except the party packs were already ringing up at 75%, and even those were ringing up at 50%). So I really got 75% off of 75% off on all my stuff (what's that like 93% off?). I started to say something and then looked at all the people behind me who had already been waiting a while, and then just took the receipt and left. I feel bad about it now,... would you have said something?

nope, probably not

So what else did you get?

I had like 3 tablecloths, some candy pumpkins, some boxes of fruit snacks (they had halloween wrappers), 3 of the party packs with 25each of dessert plates, dinner plates, napkins serving bowl and table cloth, 3 place mats, and 2 strands of the shiny garland....

I had a bunch of other stuff in the basket and then put it back 'cause I didn't want to spend too much money LOL!!

Something close has happened to me and I mentioned it to the cashier she gave me a look of 'I don't make mistakes' and asked would it be on my store charge. So I just paid and left.

I don't think I would say anything if it happened to me again.

:holiday04

I wouldn't have said anything. She is paid to do her job, not you.

I went to Burlington Coat Factory to buy some clothes and coats a couple of weeks ago. One outfit scanned funny and the manager had to come over for an override. I did not realize it at the time. But when I checked my receipt later I realized that I had gotten a $20-something outfit for free.

The manager herself had done it that way so I do not feel guilty for anything.

A few years ago I went to a local department store (Ann & Hope) and I bought

my son a Super Nintendo and a few games to go with it etc. The total was over

$200. I paid by check and I got out to my car, put my stuff in the trunk and realized

she gave me back my check with my receipt. In that case I did go back in to give

her the check. I didn't want her to get fired and have that on my conscious.

She was very grateful. Although for a fleeting moment I did think about just driving

away...glad I didn't though

A similar thing happened to me recently. I was shopping in Boscov's at the grand opening and they had these Black and Decker Toasters that were very nice and on sale so bought one toaster, an elmo outfit and a game for my son. Well the cashier only rang up the clothes and the game. It was wierd because we discussed the toaster and the fact that I did not have the grand opening coupon that everyone else had. She said that was ok and when I got to the car and looked at my receipt I realized she never even rung up the toaster. Needless to say I did not go back into that zoo it was crazy in there. Great deals and tons of people.

The cashier got very exasperated (not meanly just loudly) and said that none of the Halloween stuff was ringing up right today

Ughhh, and she KNEW it wouldn't ring up right!! Was she just hoping you wouldn't notice??

I got some Halloween stuff at Walmart the other night that was 75% off, and I had to figure out the price for the cashier to ring it up because it was all ringing up at 50% off.

i have said something when they gave back to much money because i wouldn't want the cashier to come up short and get into trouble, or if i catch them missing an item that they're ringing up i'll tell them because if you know that they missed it and don't say something then it's no different then if you stuffed it in your coat to steal it. it might be a mistake but your still walking out with out paying for it. if the stuff is on sale and you got it for a good price that's great, but if it's bothering you then you could always go back to the store and have it fixed. your the one who has to decide what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't have said anything... the cashier knew that there was a problem w/the Halloween items in the first place but was probably hoping you wouldn't notice so she wouldn't have to go thru the trouble of calling the manager over.

I got a kid's sleeping bag at Toys r us on one of their 70% off clearance sales. I was home before i realized it only rang up for $1.97- the cashier took 70% off the the already reduced price! There was no way i was going all the way back just so they could re ring it for the correct price.

Guess I'm different then most people here. I would of mentioned something because I'm a full believer in Karma. I wouldn't of been worried about the people behind me having to wait longer I'd apologize to them and suggest they move to another lane if they didn't want to wait.

I also would of looked at it like this...all that money you think you saved you'll eventually be paying back to the company when they up the cost of something to make up for the money they just lost by messing up.

Nope, I wouldn't say a word. She didn't feel the need to "say a word" when she knew it was originally ringing up incorrectly. If you didn't ask her if they were ringing up correctly, you would have walked outta there paying more than you should have. C'est la vie!!! ;)