two way radios

tlm2121

Does anyone else out there use two way radios to keep in touch with the rest of your group - or are we the only crazy ones that do? My husband uses them for hunting, so we started taking them since you don't need to use your minutes AND you don't have to dial any #s - you just push the button and talk :2wiggle:

Does anyone else out there use two way radios to keep in touch with the rest of your group - or are we the only crazy ones that do? My husband uses them for hunting, so we started taking them since you don't need to use your minutes AND you don't have to dial any #s - you just push the button and talk :2wiggle:

This is the one that we have. Got them in July. I really like them. The colors that we got are bright yellow. Really to see them better. You do get the 2 and have the chargers with.

http://www.myradiomall.com/cgi-bin/item/TA6500R

Hope this helps.

Dunham's and Dick's Sporting goods always have them on really cheap on BF LOL - not that it will do you any good early on in the morning at walmart - if you know any men who hunt turkey, most of them have a set of two ways they can lend you. just make sure you take extra batteries

we always use them...Stepmom entertains herself as we stand in check out line randomly answering people that ask questions over them. Such as "betty, meet me in fabric" so stepmom just tells them "no no go to aisle 7".....Dont know if people figure it out or what but it keeps her entertained....

I've used them, but there are a few disadvantages. One, they don't last as long as a fully charged cellphone. Probably not a big deal unless you're using them the night prior too. Two, if you use the stronger channels, you have to have a license. Three, two people can't talk on the same main channel at the same time. Let's say you're on main channel 3, subchannel 4. If someone else tries to use one on main channel 3, subchannel 7, it can cause you problems. The subchannels don't magically give you more channels to use, all it does is keep you from hearing someone else using the same main channel but a different subchannel. Two people cannot talk at the same time using the same main channel (hope that wasn't too confusing). Lastly, the way they "ring" is the one you're calling from will make the sound while it's transmitting. So you're ringing when you're trying to ring someone else. Just a bit annoying, that's all. Also there's no vibrate feature, so if it's loud in the store you may not hear it go off at all. We just use our cellphones with unlimited mobile to mobile, but in situations where you don't have a cell signal, those 2-way radios work great!

Ha! Reminds me of when my wife and I didn't have a cellphone but were going in separate cars (actually we drove in one car to Illinois to pick up another car and drove back). Anyways we're chatting away, I say we probably need to get an oil change for the new car soon, and someone comes on the radio and says "10-4 on that oil change." I'm just glad we weren't talking about anything embarrassing!

Ok I don't mean to crash the 2-way radio party but I find those things kind of loud and obnoxious. I'm the same way about cell phone users who put their conversation on speaker! I don't wanna hear you talk to that person and I don't wanna keep hearing that beep. Use a regular cell phone or something! I hope I don't sound rude it's just one of my biggest pet peeves while shopping.

Ok I don't mean to crash the 2-way radio party but I find those things kind of loud and obnoxious. I'm the same way about cell phone users who put their conversation on speaker! I don't wanna hear you talk to that person and I don't wanna keep hearing that beep. Use a regular cell phone or something! I hope I don't sound rude it's just one of my biggest pet peeves while shopping.

i agree that they should not be used constantly for conversations... we use them for information like when we get what we need, meet in aisle # etc.. and for when we are ready to leave. We don't have nonstop conver. like you do on a cell phone:yup:

i agree that they should not be used constantly for conversations... we use them for information like when we get what we need, meet in aisle # etc.. and for when we are ready to leave. We don't have nonstop conver. like you do on a cell phone:yup:

Thank god because I wouldn't mind hitting you with whatever is in my cart if you are having conversations! :yup: