I got this rumor from another forum check it out

Guest cool_guy2005

Guest cool_guy2005

Ripped from SD

I just caught a rumor from a fairly reliable source that CC is going to have a 42" plasma for under $1000 on BF. One would assume that it would be this model, or something very similar:

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/plr/EC.PLR.PLA4248.JPG

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=160282

I'm gonna keep digging from every connection I have. I'd encourage all of you to do the same.

Post edited and credit given to benjie @ SD

RossMAN

"

benjie10-18-2006, 02:56 PM

I just caught a rumor from a fairly reliable source that CC is going to have a 42" plasma for under $1000 on BF. One would assume that it would be this model, or something very similar:Polaroid-42-Plasma-HDTV

I'm gonna keep digging from every connection I have. I'd encourage all of you to do the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vBulletin v3.5.3, Copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

"

I would not be surprised if Circuit city and Best Buy both had a 42" plasma under $1000. However, it will probably be a brand such as Maxent, Insignia, Vizio, etc...

I'm holding out for a name brand (Panasonic, Samsung, Philips or Toshiba) 50" around $1500.

I would not be surprised if Circuit city and Best Buy both had a 42" plasma under $1000. However, it will probably be a brand such as Maxent, Insignia, Vizio, etc...

I'm holding out for a name brand (Panasonic, Samsung, Philips or Toshiba) 50" around $1500.

Are you suggesting to stay away from certain brands? Any reason?...Mark

Are you suggesting to stay away from certain brands? Any reason?...Mark

You will pay more up front for a name brand such as Samsung, Panasonic, or HP but you might save a lot in the long run. The name brands tend to have less problems or service issues which are EXPENSIVE EXPENSIVE.

Also, take a look at a name brand screen vs. an Insignia or Maxent. In my opinion the name brands have a nicer picture. I suggest visiting the store ahead of time to check out the display.

Also while in the store take a look at the picture settings. A lot of stores will boost the brightness and color on the cheaper brands to make them look as colorful as the name brands. However raising the brightness and color shortens the life of the tv and increases chance of burn in.

Store brands (Insignia at BB, Polaroid at CC--yes, Polaroid is CC's house brand) are across the board inferior to the name brands, as are the third tier manufacturers (Vizio, Viewsonic, Syntax, Scepter). A Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, LG, or Philips will always win in the performance and picture quality arena. There are many who think Westinghouse are the bee's knees (picture equal to First Tier, price equal to Third).

But if you aren't nit-picky about image quality (I am), then you won't even notice, so there's no reason not to just jump on a good deal.

Store brands (Insignia at BB, Polaroid at CC--yes, Polaroid is CC's house brand) are across the board inferior to the name brands, as are the third tier manufacturers (Vizio, Viewsonic, Syntax, Scepter). A Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, LG, or Philips will always win in the performance and picture quality arena. There are many who think Westinghouse are the bee's knees (picture equal to First Tier, price equal to Third).

But if you aren't nit-picky about image quality (I am), then you won't even notice, so there's no reason not to just jump on a good deal.

Just a point to be made......Polaroid really isn't CC's house brand, technically. You can buy Polaroid products from other sources, such as WalMart, Home Depot, Amazon, and even from Polaroid themselves. Wehn one mentions a house brand, such as Insignia at BB or Ilo at WM, one would expect the brand to NOT be found anywhere else, hence the term house brand.

Now, CC does use Polariod as their cheapest brand, but CC has no specific house brands unto themselves, instead using an inexpensive manufacturer to supply that price range. I suppose CC is hoping the name recognition that brands such as Polariod gives them an edge over lesser-known brands such as Insignia and Ilo and Maxent.

Also, while Viewsonic is marketing towards the lower price point on LCD TV's, they are absolutely not considered a 3rd tier marketer in their true product spectrum, computer monitors.

Guest JeepMom

You will pay more up front for a name brand such as Samsung, Panasonic, or HP but you might save a lot in the long run. The name brands tend to have less problems or service issues which are EXPENSIVE EXPENSIVE.

Also, take a look at a name brand screen vs. an Insignia or Maxent. In my opinion the name brands have a nicer picture. I suggest visiting the store ahead of time to check out the display.

Also while in the store take a look at the picture settings. A lot of stores will boost the brightness and color on the cheaper brands to make them look as colorful as the name brands. However raising the brightness and color shortens the life of the tv and increases chance of burn in.

Thanks! I never knew about this before!

Re: Viewsonic

I stand by the assertion: Viewsonic = third tier TV brand. Yes, they sell a lot of good PC monitors, but a good monitor is a far cry from a good TV. Across the board, Viewsonic TVs are inferior to Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, LG, and Philips televisions (on features, specs, image quality, and support).

Re: Polaroid

As for Polaroid, you can expect whatever you want by the use of the term "house brand." But the fact is CC has contracted with Polaroid as their provider of low-priced flat panel TVs. This relationship differs from an Ilo or an Insignia only in that it is not an exclusive contract relationship. But exclusivity is not the mark of a house brand; the actual markers are prominence, promotion, and price point, all by contract. Also, keep in mind that Insignia TVs are just rebranded Tatung and Hisense models, and Tatung/Hisense TVs are available from other sellers as well. In that sense, the BB-Insignia relationship isn't exclusive either, only the application of the Insignia trademark.

You will get just as bad of problems with name-brand, do not be fooled by this! I have heard such terrible stories on several TV's I was looking at from big brands such as Samsung and Toshiba, whereas I hear nothing but good things about Syntax, their Olevia model sells like hotcakes! Last time I was at BB someone was loading a 42" Syntax into their car. That will be what I'm looking for on BF.

As long as its not an RCA I am happy. We had so many RCA that kicked the bucket :mad:

Every brand has cheap models, you MUST go to the store and look at them side by side!!!!!

This is the only way to buy a tv.

Generally you will see a big difference between a $700 plasma/lcd and a $1500 model.

You get what you pay for with LCD/Plasma Tv's.

The cheap ones may look fine in store, check all the functions! Most stores will have the brightness maxed on cheap ones to make them look as bright as the higher priced models that go brighter. (No, this is not good on a tv, and it will not last near as long).

Every brand has cheap models, you MUST go to the store and look at them side by side!!!!!

This is the only way to buy a tv.

Generally you will see a big difference between a $700 plasma/lcd and a $1500 model.

You get what you pay for with LCD/Plasma Tv's.

The cheap ones may look fine in store, check all the functions! Most stores will have the brightness maxed on cheap ones to make them look as bright as the higher priced models that go brighter. (No, this is not good on a tv, and it will not last near as long).

I did all that. I even changed all the settings on every model to what I liked. I even brought in my DVDs and asked the staff to hook up via HDMI to a DVD player similar to the one we have. Overall I found the difference between the Vizio and the higher priced models to be minimal. Some of the other cheaper models were noticably lacking but the Vizio was very good in all areas that concern my family and I. :yup:

Overall I don't think spending twice the amount is worth it when the differences between the expensive brands and the Vizio LCD we bought is minimal. :D

I'd say that the differences between the brands isn't as huge when quality video is fed to the unit, say from an upconverting DVD player or a high definition feed with it's own tuner.. it's when you try to use 480i or use the unit's built in tuners or play standard definition content where the better models shine... you have to ask yourself what you will use the unit for too... personally I'd never feed any high definition television a 480i signal anyways, and don't plan on using the built in tuner as it's impractical in an apartment 50 miles from the signal source.

Guest cool_guy2005
You guys should realize that you pay for the brand name also. Some genetic are good as long as you buy them from a well known store like BB or CC those can provide warranty and service for their products

Now granted I havent researched this... but I was told at our local BB that the Insignia brand they carry is manufactured by Sony as a "house" brand for BB only.

My Inlaws have an Insignia big screen of some sort or another ( i dont know much about them, and quite frankly one looks like another to me) and it works great and has tons of features that they wanted. So I guess it nothing more then a matter of preference and cashflow.

LCD screens are only made by 2 companies, So you dont really have to worry about what brand you get, as long as it has the features you want.

Um, not true. 1) Samsung and Sony get their panels from S-LCD, which is a Sammy-Sony joint venture; 2) Sharp manufacturers their own panels; 3) LG and Phillips use panels by LG.Philips, their joint venture; 4) Toshiba makes their own panels; 5) Panasonic makes their own; 6) JVC makes their own. These makers do sell panels to other TV manufacturers (such as HP, Dell, Hitachi, etc).

Additionally, lots of off-brand TV's feature panels made by 7) AU Optronics, 8) Chi Mei Industries, 9) Sansui, and 10) Tatung.

And these are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

As for Insignia: there is no single manufacturer of Insignia TVs-- the different models are contracted individually. I have information that at least one is made by Tatung, and another by Toshiba, but I don't know which one. I highly, highly, highly doubt that Sony makes any of them.

Um, not true. 1) Samsung and Sony get their panels from S-LCD, which is a Sammy-Sony joint venture; 2) Sharp manufacturers their own panels; 3) LG and Phillips use panels by LG.Philips, their joint venture; 4) Toshiba makes their own panels; 5) Panasonic makes their own; 6) JVC makes their own. These makers do sell panels to other TV manufacturers (such as HP, Dell, Hitachi, etc).

Additionally, lots of off-brand TV's feature panels made by 7) AU Optronics, 8) Chi Mei Industries, 9) Sansui, and 10) Tatung.

And these are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

As for Insignia: there is no single manufacturer of Insignia TVs-- the different models are contracted individually. I have information that at least one is made by Tatung, and another by Toshiba, but I don't know which one. I highly, highly, highly doubt that Sony makes any of them.

Sony makes some Insignia products, but I don't know if any of those are TV's. I know they make some of the Insignia portable DVD players.

My 2 cents worth,

I know this is going to stir up the pot but here it goes, while touring the Corning Glass factory two years ago I was told that they made 70 % of all LCD and50% of all Plasma screens.

Upon moving into our new house 18 months ago I bought a 42" JVC Plasma and two 32" LCD's one JVC and one Visio from Costco. The Plasma is doing good as is the Visio in the MBR. at 13 months 1 month out of warranty the JVC had a band about 2" wide half way across the screen that wouldn't light up, therefore this black bar made it impossible to watch. A local repair shop said the pictials (spelling ?) were burned out and it would cost more than a completely new JVC TV to repair it. I called JVC in Calif. and they confirmed what the repairman said. I went back to Costco and purchased another 32" Visio and am very happy. I think the picture Quality of the Visio's was the same as the JVC. The JVC cost more because it comes with everything PIP,POP, and zillians of in and outputs among other goodies.

Just my opinion!!

Larry

My 2 cents worth,

I know this is going to stir up the pot but here it goes, while touring the Corning Glass factory two years ago I was told that they made 70 % of all LCD and50% of all Plasma screens.

Upon moving into our new house 18 months ago I bought a 42" JVC Plasma and two 32" LCD's one JVC and one Visio from Costco. The Plasma is doing good as is the Visio in the MBR. at 13 months 1 month out of warranty the JVC had a band about 2" wide half way across the screen that wouldn't light up, therefore this black bar made it impossible to watch. A local repair shop said the pictials (spelling ?) were burned out and it would cost more than a completely new JVC TV to repair it. I called JVC in Calif. and they confirmed what the repairman said. I went back to Costco and purchased another 32" Visio and am very happy. I think the picture Quality of the Visio's was the same as the JVC. The JVC cost more because it comes with everything PIP,POP, and zillians of in and outputs among other goodies.

Just my opinion!!

Larry

You are close to correct: Corning makes most of the raw material for plasma glass and LCD matrix (LCDs don't use glass) -- its generally called substrate. They supply this to the actual makers of the panels, who add in the circuitry and electronics. From Corning, its just glass and plastic; from the panel fabrication, its an LCD screen ready to be put into a TV. But Corning doesn't make what you and I would call a "screen." More like a "pane."

As for what was wrong with your plasma, that is a totally incorrect. The word you're looking for is "pixels," and if you had a black BAND out on the screen, then it wasn't "burned out pixels," it was a problem with the control circuitry. Individuals pixels can go dead, but this is RANDOM (and good quality control limits this to generally 2% of the whole screen). If you have an organized PATTERN of dead pixels, then it is a man-made problem.

It could be that the controller for that set of pixels died; in some models the controllers are actually part of the panel, meaning the whole panel would have to be replaced if one died (very inefficient design). If this were the case, it would be cheaper to get a new TV, as they told you.