Helpful Hints for BF

sbwolfer

I have been BF shopping for the last few years and have learned new things each year. Here are some things I find helpful.

1. Dress warmly, but in layers that can be easily removed, if you live in a cold area.

2. Cell phones are a shoppers best friend. Great way to relocate your lost shopping buddy or to get in touch with shopping buddies in other stores who are trying to locate items for you.

3. Comfortable shoes-an absolute must for the serious shopper. Forego fashion for the day and stick with comfort.

4. Don't drink much before shopping or while waiting in line for the store to open. Even though those warm beverages keep you toasty they also fill your bladder. You may not have a place to use the potty while you are outside in line. If you are shopping alone you don't want to lose your place to go potty.

5. Plan ahead!!! Know where you want to go and what you want to get. I cut some pics out of ads to show store workers if I can't locate the item. This helps when you come across a worker who doesn't seem to have the intelligence to pass 1st grade!

6. Be patient, know that the stores are going to be busy. Don't be one of those people who push and shove. They are only material things, it is not worth going crazy over.

7. Make friends with the people around you in line. It helps pass the time and you can stick together to stop cutters!

8. HAVE FUN!!!!:D

I stopped drinking anything before heading out (at least 2 hours before hand). I had a tendacy to go to the bathroom in the first store. LOL. I"ve learned since then and I've been going out 10 yrs +.

Also, don't forget ads to price match. I did that one year, fortunately, the cashier had the ads (price matched at Walmart a couple of years ago)

Best tip for BF...have fun. It's not a war though it may feel that way. I always try to keep in mind that while certain things I would really like to get-I don't HAVE to have anything. At your most frustrating moments try to remember "This is fun. This is Christmas. Be glad you are able to do this. It may sound cheesy...but it really helps you relax.

So true! My life will go on if I don't obtain all of the things I am shopping for. I am not going to become violent just to buy a cheap toaster or something like that. For me BF is a nice day to just relax with my best friend and step daughter. It is a girl's day out!

Great tips! Last year was my first BF experience and I will admit I was overwhelmed. :eyepoppin: However, the lady that was behind me in the crowd waiting inside our 24hr walmart must have seen the fear in my face when the crowd from all sides just started pushing when they dropped the tape. She said "Honey, you just have to push with them" She then went in front of me, put her hand on my cart and pulled me as she pushed her way through. It was kinda funny and I must say " I loved the rush":yup: :D

So definetly make friends with those around you! :)

Guest JeepMom

I shop alone. If you go to wal mart, SOME employees will give you a heads up as to what is where if you get there early enough. Stand by the ONE item you really want and go from there.

Wal Mart will AD MATCH, but NOT price match. Meaning if you go with a KMart ad with a doll on salle for $9.99 the ywill honor that $9.99 if Kmart has a different doll, not in the ad on sale they will not price match.

I know this is discussed in another thread, but the price matching thing is a good tip for newbies. Look at the ads from other stores even if you hadn't planned on going there and then call the one that you are going to first to see if they price match. Take your ads with you!

Guest JeepMom
I like to get to wal mart early, like realy early. I take all the other ads and grab a cart. I get all the items from the other stores first, then I pick my pallet to wait at. Talking to strangers makes the time past faster. If you are pregnant make sure you wear a tight shirt so people notice the belly and are less likely to push you! (2 years ago I was preggy shopping!)

Those are all great tips for waiting in the lines, but how 'bout a few on general shopping on BF, like once you get inside, for all our newbies?

if you are going to wal mart take someone who will get a cart and stay put towards the checkout while the rest of your group spread out and get the goodies and then bring them back to put in the cart. If you try pushing a cart it is really hard to get around b/c there are so many people. you will literally waste 1/2 hour just trying to get to the department and will miss the blitz stuff

Guest ladakn99
look at th ads early, pick out what you want, go to the store ahead of time, and locate where whatever you want is. take a picture of it using a DC or a phone (title it the store name and which row/section you found it in), or draw out a map of the store (might take a while. though) Doesn't really work for electronics though. because they change everything and they have lines once you get inside the store and everything...

• 3 weeks later...

Since it can be challenging to even get a cart or a basket, I bring several large shopping bags (with handles) with me. Since I'm not shopping for anything big, I just load up my bags and don't have to wait for a cart.

I also don't bring my purse. I just put cash, cc and ID in my pocket.

Happy shopping, everyone! :D

I never bring a purse either. Hard to hold on and grab items. LOL. Have a wallet that holds a charge card, license, and cash. So much easier

I also write a list of what I need so I don't get caught up into the sales and forget to grab what I came to get (I've done this before)

Also make sure you have all your other ads if price matching. Most Walmarts want the actual physical ad

Wear comfortable shoes. I was shocked last year when I saw 2 ladies trying to walk in heels. (Ridiculous)

Dress warmly and most importantly--- COMFORTABLY.

I always make my list WITH the pictures I clip from the ad. That way I can make sure I have the right item, model number, etc before waiting 2 hours in line just to find out its the wrong one.

I wear a shirt with zippered pockets in front (like today is a velour hoodie) that way I can put my wallet in my zippered shirt and not worry about losing it, getting robbed, etc

I always put mace in my other pocket.. not to use on people but in case someone tries to steal/rob me. I'm a woman and its dark here for a long time after I get in line

Never drink anything.. for about 2 hours before I leave the house.. no time to pee

I'm always friendly to people in line around me.. you have hours to wait so being mean may just backfire on you

Of course wear comfy shoes, clothing and I dont bring anymore then I need.

NEver bring children/strollers.. there is no room and its scary for them. Not to mention dangerous considering peoples manners seem to be missing on this day

These are great tips! I always befriend a couple people. If you notice someone standing by a pallet you want but you are already standing by another, ask them if they want what you got and tell them if they grab two you will too. Our store doesn't hand out maps so if I see something in someones cart I will ask them where they got it. They will almost always tell you.

I smile and and try and be as helpful as I can. Because some people can be such jerks on this day. Just remember to look past it, its one day out of the year.