Salvation Army and Shopping during Holidays/BF

elena_398

During the shopping in November and December, we start seeing the Salvation Army collectors ringing their bells. Now I don't know about you guys, but I do put in a $1 when I pass them (feel guilt if I pass them up). BUT, my question is, what do you do when you go back to the same store time and time again while christmas shopping. I go shopping all the time and continue to go back to the same stores. Do you drop money in everytime or do you donate the one time to an individuals collection bucket at a particular store? I can't afford to keep giving money as I already adopt a family and provide their entire christmas. What I do is: I donate once to that particular's collector and thats it. I go to as many as 15++ stores during the shopping season so it adds up. What do you guys do?

*** Sometimes if I get change though I will drop that in. Im talking about paper money ****

I would only put in dollar amounts one time, then the rest of the time if I had change I would put it in. Other than that I would just walk by. If you've already given once and can't afford to do it again then you should not have any guilt. You are obviously very giving to adopt a family and do their whole christmas. You should definitely not have any guilt!

Giving comes from the heart not the pocket book. If you give what you can then there should not be any guilt there. The bell ringers know that for every 5 people who walk by maybe one will put something in the bucket.

Every year here in town some one puts a Gold piece in a bucket, They have no clue who it is but it has happened every year that I can remember

I just always give $1 to each different store I go to. If I go back to the same store I sometimes don't give, but then sometimes give change. I swear those bell ringers stare you down if you don't put something in. OR they are sarcastic and when you don't put something in, they say, "Happy Holidays". Did I stress sarcastically

For me, I tend to give just about each time. I know every year I give too much. And like another poster, my children love to put something in the bucket. Now that they are older they understand they are also helping others that are in need. It's a good lesson to teach them at this time of year.

I give whatever change I've got in my pocket. The money doesn't just go to the salvation army to help families, it also goes (in part) to those bell ringers. How much they make for standing out in the cold depends on how much is in their bucket at the end of the day (at least that's the way it works around here). My heart goes out to them for at least sucking it up and trying.

Here in our city the bell ringers are purely volunteers. There is a website that you can sign up to ring the bell. My kids and I are going to sign up this year - they wanted to ring the bells so bad last year but it was too cold and they were too young.

I usually give everytime I go if I happen to have some cash or change. Actually that doesn't add up to too much because I don't usually carry cash - I am a charge card shopper, LOL. We also try and adopt a child on the Angel Tree which we will probably do this year as well. It sends a good message to the kids about helping others in need.

I dont give to the bellringers. If I want to donate Ill do it to toys for tots. I dont know if its common knowledge or not but many of the bell ringers are doing it as part of a criminal sentence as community service. I know of a few local that have been caught and arrested for helping themselves to a good portion of the buckets contents.

I dont give to the bellringers. If I want to donate Ill do it to toys for tots. I dont know if its common knowledge or not but many of the bell ringers are doing it as part of a criminal sentence as community service. I know of a few local that have been caught and arrested for helping themselves to a good portion of the buckets contents.

I know around here it is strictly volenteer, And if it is for Community service thats Great that they do it. There offenses caould not have been that bad, and every one deserves a chance to redeem themseleves during the holiday's

I know around here it is strictly volenteer, And if it is for Community service thats Great that they do it. There offenses caould not have been that bad, and every one deserves a chance to redeem themseleves during the holiday's

:gdiagree:

And from sorta-personal experience, I can add that those Toys For Tots bins get stolen from, as well. A Marine I know was caught dipping into them several years ago.

I have volunteered at the SA for bellringing and other programs. I have taken several youth groups to ring bells. It is no biggie to be passed by. I happen to know that a lot of the people that I have seen pass me by while ringing the bell already donate a nice fat check every Christmas.

Also keep in mind that the red kettles arent just for Christmas. This is their main fundraiser for the whole year. That money gets used all year long for many different programs.

Giving comes from the heart not the pocket book. If you give what you can then there should not be any guilt there.

Well said! I had a friend in college whose mom had taught her never to walk by a kettle without dropping something in, soooo she would cross the street, go in a "unmanned" entrance or shop somewhere else rather than drop money in. I learned from her not to give grudingly or under compulsion. Instead of giving until it hurts, I want to give until it tickles (anyone whose kids have had the Steve Green 'Hide Em in Your Heart' CD will recognize that). I personally love to drop change in the bucket every time I walk by a kettle and my kids do too. I just have to make sure I remember to have change on hand whenever I am out shopping at Christmas, I am disappointed if I don't.

I didn't know you could volunteer to be a bell ringer, I am going to check that out.