Remember when stores used to offer incentives for being at the store early?

Guest bluesrule9

I remember the BB goodie bags with the stuffed animal. That was the year I took my son and 2 of his friends for the first time. I think they were 13. It made their day to get the freebie. Back then I went to the store that had the best give aways. Now it is best $$ on the items I need.

I was just commenting on this in another thread....

They stopped doing it! I remember they used to give out stuffed animals, cookie tins, all sorts of stuff. Now, nobody does it. It stinks.

Free cini-minis one year for showing up at Toys R Us early was nice.

Yeah I remember the cini-minis at Toys R Us. Several stores around my area used to give out lots of stuff. I'd end up hitting several stores with my wife and we'd get a free breakfast by 10:00am with all the coupons, plus have extra stuff from the freebies. Now there's a few store that still give coupons, but it's usually a certain amount off of buying coffee of something like that. Last year Chick-Fil-A was going up and down the line at Best Buy selling sausage egg and chees sandwiches and coffee.

I remember getting all kinds of random stuff when I was little. Montgomery Ward was always giving out something. I remember one year they had Rudolph books and Rudolph dolls on special or something. I still have the books somewhere and I loved that Rudolph doll.

The Best Buy out here in California does. They give out so many tickets for the advertised items. If you get there after they are out of tickets you are S-O-L for those items.

Didn't know that one year and waited and waited for 3 hours only to be laughed at when I asked for the portable DVD player that was on sale.

I remember not all that long ago that a number of stores offered some type of incentive for being at the store early. Usually a bag with samples and coupons or a stuffed toy etc.

I wonder why that stopped.....I haven't seen it for probably 3 years or so.

Also wondering if it was just a local thing...has anyone else gotten these types of incentives over the last few years?

JC pennys snowglobe also had a discount on it. Last year Sears gave out giftcards. I think it might depend on the area though.

CompUSA does their 6 hour sale the evening before Black Friday. If you're one of the lucky ones in the front of the line you're able to get a voucher for one of the many items on the sale ad. Those further back do not get them.

It helps with the stampede and if yu're not wanting one of the "big items" someone else further back may have a chance at it.

I really like that approach to the BF sales. Rather than have 10,000 people storm the store and cause a riot, and others stealing the itmes from you, it is really calm. I just wish they would do something about the checkout lines and make them go faster.

I only remember the one year WM giving out coffee and doughnuts. But, you had to go to the deli area to get them. Target used to hand out bags with coupons and basically a bunch of junk. Never made it to Sears or JCP to get anything from them. So I'm unsure if they do anything in our area. I only go there later to check on tools for hubby. No one does anything anymore in our area..guess it's just as well too. People are nuts enough here, I don't think we need freebies to set them off more. :cheesy:

Our local Walmart does a drawing every hour starting at Midnight until 5:00 to win different things......A toy, a small appliance, etc... All the way up to a $100.00 gift card...the catch....you have to be present to win and to enter you get 1 entry for every $50.00 you spend during 12:00am-4:30am that day.