FRY'S Black Friday discussion thread

Brad

Official Fry's Black Friday Discussion Thread

Posted Image

Click here to go to the web site for Fry's.
Click here to find the Fry's nearest you.

This thread is for all discussion directly related to the Black Friday ad for Fry's. It is also for the discussion of Fry's store policies, store hours, and any other store-related topics. Links to the Black Friday ad for Fry's will be added to this thread when it has been released.

FYI for Fry's shoppers...

Fry's Electronics ads are REGIONAL. Many times they have the same sale items at the same prices... but not always. Sometimes, if the Fry's in Renton, WA has an item on sale, don't expect it to be on sale in California or Arizona.

However... I have noticed a trend that the different regions may have the same items on sale in their ad, but the prices may differnet in each region.

Eample:

A month ago... The Fry's in Renton, WA had a 60" Mitsuibishi DLP HDTV for $999, but in Phoenix, AZ the same TV was advertised for $1299.

A good resource for seeing what Fry's has on sale is:

http://www.fry-electronics-ads.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep GOOD records of all Frys rebates submitted.

First, more than once I have gotten the wrong rebate form from Fry's (even though it appeared to be correct, upon close examination of the SKU or dates, etc it turned out to be wrong), so double check them.

Second, I have had several rebates at Fry's denied for no reason ... They claimed the UPC wasn't there, but even my photocopy clearly showed that it was stapled to the page. Another just stated that I didn't meet the requirements, but didn't say in what way I failed to meet them - I called and they agreed with me that I did indeed meet all requirements but they said I had to resubmit - of course then it takes another 12 weeks - when you call again, they tell you there are no resubmissions allowed.

Third, Fry's recently started printing out rebate receipts. One would assume that this is the receipt that you are supposed to send in for the rebate, but they would be very wrong. It's kinda ironic that most of the Fry's rebates require the original invoice, not the rebate receipt - I think they did that on purpose to confuse people and so they could ultimately not pay out on the rebates. Because this info is often hidden or unclear, I have started including both the rebate receipt and a photocopy of the original with all Fry's rebates.

Fourth, and OK, this isn't limited to Fry's, but I've noticed it on many of my purchases there ... lately when you purchase software with a rebate, you actually have to install the software and register it in order to get the rebate. What sux about that then you can't give the program as a gift (OK, some people want to sell it, not give it as a gift). I wouldn't mind this except that you don't know this until AFTER you make the purchase and get the rebate form. Of course you can return it, but if a trip to Fry's is pretty much that - a trip (45 minutes for me), you're out of luck. In addition, some of the programs that are free after rebate don't actually do what they claim to do - ie DVD2Pod - who cares if it was free ... if it doesn't work, it's not worth having!!

Last, double check your due dates for rebates - for a long time they were always 30 days, but in the past few weeks, I've had several that turned out to have to be submitted within 7 or 10 days - needless to say, I've had to make a few last minute trips to the PO in order to ensure that they were postmarked on time (OK, I did have a whole week to realize this, but I didn't look at them before then).

Aren't you glad I wrote such a long essay - that's 5 minutes of your life you'll never get back!! At least if you take my suggestions you will get your money back!!

Happy Shopping!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm in Indianapolis. Fry's ads run in the Indianapolis Star on Wednesdays, Fridays (this is the big ad) and Sundays. You can get the early edition of the Sunday paper on Sat afternnon and view the ad then. I probably won't be in town on Thanksgiving, so I can't scan in the ad for ya - if I were in town, that's probably where I'd go on BF

Actually, many of them are actually Frys rebates ... good for purchases made at Frys. And the rebates do seem to take forever to get or are denied. This opinion is based on my own personal experience with Frys rebates - I'm not generalizing based on info that I've heard that may or may not be true. I'm very careful with my rebates and keep copies of everything (including the date that I mailed in the rebate) - I even have all of my rebates hand-stamped at the counter so that I know exactly what day they get postmarked.

However, 2 weeks ago I had to call to ask a question about an incorrect rebate form (that's their other problem - giving rebates forms that are close, but not actually the right rebate) and the person there said that I could bring in all my info and they would try to track down the problem and if they couldn't, they would give me the rebate money. Maybe they changed their policy, because in August I tried to do just that and they wouldn't help me. I figure as long as I keep all my documentation, it's fraudulent advertising if I am unable to get the rebate after meeting all requirements, so hopefully they'll be standing behind their advertisements from now on

Keep GOOD records of all Frys rebates submitted.

They claimed the UPC wasn't there, but even my photocopy clearly showed that it was stapled to the page.

Third, Fry's recently started printing out rebate receipts. One would assume that this is the receipt that you are supposed to send in for the rebate, but they would be very wrong. It's kinda ironic that most of the Fry's rebates require the original invoice, not the rebate receipt - I think they did that on purpose to confuse people and so they could ultimately not pay out on the rebates. Because this info is often hidden or unclear, I have started including both the rebate receipt and a photocopy of the original with all Fry's rebates.

I've had many rebates several years ago not honored because I stapled the UPC... even though it says attach, often the fine print will state do not staple ... as a result, I will use one piece of tape (unless it states do not tape) or a paperclip (though I agree that a staple on the photocopy clearly shows it was attached so one would think a staple would be better) I was told that many in many rebate houses the employees are told to remove (and throw away) anything stapled to the document as they can’t have it stapled

As for the rebate receipt problem, I come across that often so on deals that require items purchased on the same receipt, fry's usually gives me a photocopy of the original receipt stamped (several times) stating that it is an original invoice or something stating it was a proper original receipt for a rebate... and told to use that for the fry's portion of the rebate and it has always been honored.

If the items are not purchased together I usually do separate transactions but often (I think depending on price) this creates another problem of them needing additional information for the credit card ... for some reason the same card can't be used on consecutive purchases without an imprint with signature on each subsequent purchase... I was told it was for two reasons, if the purchase price was the same... people were claiming with their credit card companies that they were charge twice. The second reason given was it was to protect against the next person in line using your card if for some reason it wasn't handed back to you or you just left it on the counter... either way with today’s identity theft and dumpster diving, I am always weary that the multi part manual credit card slip they use for the imprint will somehow get misused. It wouldn't be a problem if they took amex as then I would have another 2-3 cards to use.

I had no problems with Fry's Rebate, but last year when i buy a surge protector during after Christmas which has a rebate, they wouldn't give it to me, they say that I didn't meet the requirement and that the SKU was wrong, ask to recheck and resubmitted. I agree with rebateshopper. Double check everything.

Guest ilikebike

Since Fry's ads are made on a daily basis, we won't be getting the BF ads until late Tuesday or on the Wednesday before.

I will post what's comaing for the SoCal Fry's store though.

I do know there will not be a GQ brand notebook or desktop in the ad this year, it WILL be a major name brand.

this will be my third year in a row attempting to get good gear from fry's

from what i remember, you dont really know until the day of when the local newspaper ad is released.

i remember downloading out of state ones to get an idea, but its always off. gives you an idea, but you can alraedy guess there will be 2 good LCDs, 1 good (cheap) HDD, 2 good TVs, two cameras, and an mp3 player deal.

Frys was new in Indy last year and I was out of town, so I didn't see their ad.

Under normal circumstances, Fry's has 3 ads/week in the Indianapolis Star.

Wednesday - a 1 page ad on the back of the first section of the paper.

Friday - the entire second section of the paper is a multi-page Fry's ad

Sun - the back page of the 2nd section of the paper (also available on Saturday in the early edition of the Sun paper).

I have no idea what changes there will be for the Frys ads for Thanksgiving week - if I see anything, I'll post it (assuming I'm in town - still not sure of my holiday plans)

Just a reminder for all rebates on items purchased at Fry's - fill out the rebate receipt and ALSO include a copy of the invoice/receipt with all rebate submissions just to be sure - some require one or the other and some require both.

One more tip - I have tried other paperless office progs, but I find Paperport the most useful for keeping track of my rebate scans (due to the ability to stack pages).

Buddy of mine who is quite computer savvy told me about some Toshiba laptop that Frys plans on selling for BF goin for like $250. Said an insider/friend at the store tipped him off on it. Any truth to this rumour? Anyone? ......Bueller?........Bueller?.........Bueller?

I'm trying not to get too excited about lining up at Fry's this ear, especially after my Best Buy fiasco last year, but I can't help myself :razz:

Toshiba laptop that Frys plans on selling for BF goin for like $250

I've heard something similar from a friend of mine, except he didn't mention the assumed price. For $250, I would guess that it's the A105 with a Centrino Core Solo, since Dual Cores are pretty standard now and that particular model always seems to be on sale for around $500-$550. Then again, it could be the M115 with a Dual Core that's always in the ad for $650. Let's hope it's the latter :yup:

It's winding down, guys. Good luck in all your "adventures" lol

Guest ilikebike

As promised, here are the ads for Southern California Fry's Electronics. These ads cover most of the SoCal stores, including Anaheim, Burbank, City of Industry, Foutain Valley, Manhattan Beach, Oxnard and Woodland Hills. Stores in different cities will most likely have different ads, although maybe similar items.

There is a 2 page ad on Thurday, and 8 page ad on Friday, and another 8 page ad on Saturday to run until Tuesday. I don't have the scans for pages 6 and 7 (software and components), but hopefully I can add those later.

Enjoy :)

http://pay2k.com/bfads/frysbf06.html

owha ilikebike

how'd u pull that off

(if you are able to say)

*edit*

im gonna walk down the block and get a newpaper.

*edit again*

Circut City has a $150 off dig cameras, including the Rebel Xti. I think i may do that instead of fry's.

Wish i could see my local fry's ad before tomorrow.