Are you spending less this year?

ilikefree

With the economy being so crazy right now (especially the high food prices), I was wondering how everyone's spending will be this year. Our grocery bill has gone up so much lately and I just buy for the 2 of us. I have been putting money aside for Christmas so I don't think my spending will be much different than any other year. Will you be spending more, less or about the same on Christmas gifts this year?

My spending for actual gifts will be about the same. The money is set aside throughout the year via savings and my Christmas Club account. 

I have already started menu planning and sale shopping for the holiday meals though. Luckily I don’t cook for a big family and our Christmas dinner is much more relaxed/casual than Thanksgiving. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bopeep said:

I should spend less. I just can't ever seem to make that happen. 

Same!!

We had some big expenses this year, so we're trying to be more mindful of spending for a while.  So hopefully I'll spend less.

And right now I have practically nothing on the list for anyone.   

I do love to give presents though, so I always come up with something. So we'll see how that turns out!

• Like 2

I’m hoping to spend less. Most of my kids are grown I do still have one in high school and 2 grandkids this year. I really only have 1 big ticket item to possibly get. My daughter wants a new phone. Walmart usually has deals that if you upgrade you get a gift card so that should even it out if they offer that again 

• Like 1

It’s hard to say because I’m not sure what the adult kids gifts will be this year… I know they don’t expect much, but I’m a giver so not giving anything at Christmas feels off to me… throws and candles usually go over well for the girls, but the boys are a little harder… I’m hoping to spend less this year…

Edited by tracy0504
Spelling
  • Like 1

I bought a house this year for the first time so I'm still "filling in the blanks" for various house needs. That said, gift budget will be same/maybe slightly smaller, depending on what all other stuff I end up buying for the house. Honestly, I often spend the most on my SS gift for the exchange here on the forums (yes, we have a minimum but darned if I don't blow right by that most of the time LOL). (Shameless plug: If you haven't yet joined in the fun, try it out this year! Always such a good time seeing what everyone gets!)

I am watching for sales/deals on various things I have my eye on, though.

• Like 5

I buy throughout the year especially when I see sales. So I guess I'm probably spending about the same. Definitely buying less when it comes to family.  It's just my mother left and she is in a senior living arrangement.  She mostly wants junk food...... So junk food it is!   

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Since the boys are older I’m spending less. Plus since hubby and I went big on our 20th wedding anniversary gifts for each other this year, we decided that we didn’t have to go all out for each other this Christmas.

Edited by msyves
  • Like 2

I will be spending MUCH less this year . I use to do the shopping for the local high school graduation prizes at this time of year . This is the first year in over a decade  that I am not doing that . Also most of the kids moved out ,we won’t be doing our normal Christmas rituals . ( I use to have over 20 gifts for each ) 

min hoping once the deals start rolling in , and I get my Christmas spirit , I will start shopping and get motivated 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Spent a lot less this year. Ppl hard very hard to buy for, I have no good ideas, not in a great mood either.

I did find a few nice shirt/ jackets/ candy (the good candy) but mostly a gift card year. Luckily my relatives like eating out- easy-peasy.

edit to add: I joined amazon prime so i could get some birthday (dec22) gifts for my beloved  brother-in-law and was waiting and waiting for delivery and discovered everything was cancelled w no notice. No idea why. Been a previous customer ??   Majorly bummed

but-

Happy holidays to Everyone 🙂

Edited by packratfamily
  • Sad 2

I ended up spending more than I thought I would just because I finally came up with some ideas for my mom that were a little spendy.  We splurged and got her a 55" QLED tv for her birthday earlier this week, and a new grill for Christmas.  

I also went over on DH, but some of it is just stuff he needed.  He's getting a new coat, his sock subscription renewed, shoes and two 43" monitors (he also works from home). He'd already bought two of the monitors last week and one of them didn't work, so he took them both back and said he was ok with the 3 34" monitors he currently has.  I just ordered the new ones today so they won't be here until after Christmas, but he won't mind - he's off until after the first of the year lol

I did mostly stick to what I thought I'd do for the kiddos.  There aren't many packages under our tree, but they really want for nothing and are so, so spoiled. My DMIL gives me money to shop for them and I finally just put her name on the Beats headphones I got them and called it good. The rest will go in their bank accounts.  I'm taking my oldest to Chicago next weekend for a tournament, and then later in January one kid goes to Holland, MI and the other goes to Madison, WI.  And then we'll be in Louisville and Kansas City after that. I'm sure we'll find "experience" gifts in all of those places.  

I'm mostly excited about the Dairy Queen Peppermint Blizzard cake I ordered and am picking up in the next hour! 🤣

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 7:46 AM, wittenlover said:

I bought a house this year for the first time so I'm still "filling in the blanks" for various house needs. That said, gift budget will be same/maybe slightly smaller, depending on what all other stuff I end up buying for the house. Honestly, I often spend the most on my SS gift for the exchange here on the forums (yes, we have a minimum but darned if I don't blow right by that most of the time LOL). (Shameless plug: If you haven't yet joined in the fun, try it out this year! Always such a good time seeing what everyone gets!)

I am watching for sales/deals on various things I have my eye on, though.

I blow right by that minimum for our Secret Santa gift too! It makes me so happy to participate.  

• Like 3