2023 Retail Industry Discussion Thread

Brad

Looking like we could lose several more retailers this year.

Bed Bath & Beyond getting close to bankruptcy 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/06/business/bed-bath-beyond-coupon-future/index.html

Party City nears bankruptcy 

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2023/01/06/party-city-nears-bankruptcy-as-it-runs-through-cash/

Macy's closing a few more stores

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/05/macys-store-closing-list-2023

Some good/bad Best Buy news this morning:

Thank you for being a My Best Buy member. A couple of changes are coming to the program that we'd like to let you know about.

Shipping change:

Starting now, as a My Best Buy member you'll get free shipping on all BestBuy.com orders, with no minimum purchase required. You'll also continue to have access to exclusive member offers, order tracking and your saved purchase history.

Reward points change:

The second change is that on February 14, 2023, earning points on eligible Best Buy purchases will become an exclusive benefit of the My Best Buy Credit Card.

• 2 weeks later...

Some good/bad Best Buy news this morning:

Thank you for being a My Best Buy member. A couple of changes are coming to the program that we'd like to let you know about.

Shipping change:

Starting now, as a My Best Buy member you'll get free shipping on all BestBuy.com orders, with no minimum purchase required. You'll also continue to have access to exclusive member offers, order tracking and your saved purchase history.

Reward points change:

The second change is that on February 14, 2023, earning points on eligible Best Buy purchases will become an exclusive benefit of the My Best Buy Credit Card.

I guess for me this is ok news.  I like the free shipping now, and as for the reward certificates, I didn’t spend enough the last 2 years to even earn one, and I’m sure not opening a credit card with them just to earn rewards. Not worth it to me, since we don’t seem to be buying a ton there these days.  I would have thought that in order to draw more customers back in, that lowering the spend amount to earn a reward would be better than making it where only a limited amount of customers earn them. Back a few years ago when the spend amount was considerably less than it is now, we used to earn rewards fairly frequently and we always spent much more when we redeemed the rewards.  But the free shipping will come in handy if we do order something. 

• Like 1

I really hope Party City and Bed, Bath & Beyond can turn it around, particularly Bed, Bath & Beyond for me.  I am a gadget girl and they get a chunk of $ from me.  I hate when brick-and-mortar stores close because I am a person that likes to see the quality of an item before buying. Not all places offer free returns and I hate to have to return things anyhow. I’d rather just be able to see what I’m getting and know I have it in hand instead of ordering and hoping it shows up, and is intact when it does!!  

• Like 4

for the life of me, I cannot understand how our local Macy’s store is still in operation. I TRY a to shop there, but they don’t have anything in store. I haven’t been able to buy clothes for my kids in at least two years. If I want something, I have to order it, and it’s 5-8 days for shipping. I went again at Christmas to see what they had, and there are huge open areas of the store with no merchandise whatsoever. What they do have looks like a yard sale. I’m glad they’re still there, I guess? But I’m not sure how. 

• Like 1

for the life of me, I cannot understand how our local Macy’s store is still in operation. I TRY a to shop there, but they don’t have anything in store. I haven’t been able to buy clothes for my kids in at least two years. If I want something, I have to order it, and it’s 5-8 days for shipping. I went again at Christmas to see what they had, and there are huge open areas of the store with no merchandise whatsoever. What they do have looks like a yard sale. I’m glad they’re still there, I guess? But I’m not sure how. 

I went to the local Macy's after Christmas. They didn't have much besides the Christmas clearance stuff at 50-75% off. Lots of empty space. I thought maybe it was just because it was after Christmas. The floors has damaged and missing tiles. It just didn't look like a nice place to shop any more.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I received an email this morning saying all Tuesday Morning stores are closing and gift cards will be accepted until May 13th. Is there any further information on this?

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/dallas-morning-news/dallas-retailer-tuesday-morning-is-going-out-of-business-liquidation-sales-coming-soon/3247036/

Dallas-based Tuesday Morning Corp. is going out of business after being sold out of bankruptcy Thursday to a liquidation company.

The retailer, which in February filed a second bankruptcy in three years, has been closing stores in recent years, but it still has 59 stores in Texas, including 18 in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

• 1 month later...

So all of the stores are going to be gone. This really never seems to work when a brick and mortar is turned into an online only. The company that buys them loads up the site with garbage never sold there before and then it fails also. CompUSA, Circuit City both come to mind where this was tried and failed. Sad to see this store go away also even though due to really high pricing we rarely shopped there any longer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's the last two days of my local BB&B - went in today, as it was down to 80-90% off. Nothing much there unless you wanted to a rug - they had plenty of those - along with cloth shower curtains (ugh.) I'll miss you, BB&B - always went there first if I needed something for the kitchen.

3 minutes ago, Kanyon71 said:

You sure it won’t be raise by 30% and then have a 20% coupon? 

Yeah they'd actually have to raise them by 25% to get back to the regular price after 20% off, so 30% gives them some extra $.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...