How is your job handled on Black Friday?

Kanyon71

I was wondering especially with this year how will your job work when it comes to BF?

Do you take the day off?

Do you say well may as well work this year since BF is likely to be online for the majority of it anyway?

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. Where I work is closed but I still may get some work done since the majority of what we want is likely to be available the days/weeks leading up to then online.

Welllll, I have 2 jobs and will try and take my f/t job off, which is what I do every year... Target is job #2 and they are asking those of us who know how to do fulfillment to come in at midnight TG night to fill all the online orders they are anticipating will be made before the store opens... I will probably work it and then go back in for my regular evening shift on BF...

My current job (for 15 years), we are off Thursday and Friday (Wednesday too, this year!).  My previous job, I would take off on Friday once I had enough seniority that I could. Until then, I would BF shop then go to work.  Luckily, back then, the sales started early on Friday morning and we were done by 7:30 or so (and I was young enough to be able to handle getting up at 2:00 am and then working a full day after BF shopping.  :sidesplit ).

• Like 3

Black Friday is not a contracted holiday for us but we generally are given the day off. However, since we are still working from home I fully anticipate them saying if you want off, use your time. Taking off is not a problem for me; if we were in the office I would work a full day Monday and a half day Tuesday and be off the rest of the week. Since we are home, I am only working Monday and will be off the remainder of the week.

I am a part-time 911 dispatcher in our local county.  I had already asked for the day off and I just left it as is.  My friend and I were talking and we are still going to go shopping that day just to get out of the house and enjoy our day.  I am also off Thanksgiving, which really surprised me (but if they need me, I will go in).  I am working Christmas (as I have for the past 2 years) but am working a later shift.  We get double half time for working major holidays, which is why I don't mind.  

Edited by starbeck96
  • Like 1

I always wanted to take the day off but my boss won't ever let me. Something about it being the most important day of the year. I don't get it.

I'll bet he even makes you work past midnight!  What a Scrooge!

As a consolation, you can take January, February, and March off next year.   :)

Edited by mcwalker
  • Like 2

No holidays for me in the world of healthcare.....however, Friday is a normal day off for me and I’ve been fortunate enough to not be scheduled to work Thanksgiving and/or Black Friday for the past several years.  This is such a weird and awful year for healthcare workers that I have no hopes for this year as far as being off on any of the big 3 holidays.  Time will tell once our schedule gets posted for that block of time.   

• Like 3

We always Thanksgiving off and I usually try to flex Friday Morning. This year since ALL my plans have been cancelled and I've got to use PTO I think I'm doing a half day Wednesday and Friday off just too maximize time off. Similar with Christmas and New Years. Think I'm only getting away with it because of how much time off I have accrued, usually they ask us to pick one of the holidays off.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I work in healthcare IT (university based); we are off Thursday and Friday and took off Monday for good measure.  DS9 has a hockey tournament 4 hours away from home next weekend, so I’ll need another day to recuperate from that lol.  I’d take off on Wednesday too, but my 2 right hand people have it off already and I don’t want to leave anyone short handed.  

• Like 1

We get Thanksgiving off and have to request BF. Usually it's handled separately closer to the day from usual time off requests but this year seems like there was no differentiation and A LOT of people have it off. I took most of Wednesday and All of Friday off because I have time to burn while still carrying the max to next year, 40 pto and 40 sick. Didn't want to waste time off while being unable to go anywhere but...suspect most of next year will be similar so that's a whole new issue to deal with then

I work in public safety. I work 3rd shift and usually have Thanksgiving off so in years past we have always went out shopping on Thanksgiving night into the early morning hours of Friday. I usually always work on the actual night of BF which is no big deal as all the shopping is always over with. This year we're not going out and don't have plans to order much (if anything).