GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

I’M GOING TO BE AN AUNT!!!! My sister just told me. Its still very early (8 weeks in) and she doesn’t want anyone outside of immediate family to know but I can’t keep it to myself, I’m so excited! Fortunately this is more anonymous than places like Facebook and none of my family is on the forums. Thank god for IVF/modern medicine/science. I just can’t believe it. This is the first baby in my family and likely to be the only one. I just want to yell from the rooftops [emoji16]

Congratulations!
  • Like 1

It's September?!?!?!  Crazy.  For me, this is "canning weekend."  I canned a boatload of sweet corn and 10 pints of salsa yesterday.  Today will be more corn and spaghetti sauce.  Thank heavens the weather has been cool this year.  

Happy September, everyone!  Who wants to wager the first Christmas display at Walmart will be out by mid-September? lol.

No bet..I haven't been to Wallyworld in about a week but they were already making room in garden center for Xmas. I have to stop there today and will let you'll know if they are set up yet..BTW I'm here for Septmber. one more month to go...yay!!!

• Like 1

Happy September! I need to wait a little longer before I'm ready to decorate for fall. 3rd-4th week of September then I'll start thinking about it, when it's officially fall... I'm hoping to have motivation this year to actually do a few things, but we'll see if anything more than a wooden pumpkin and a few candles actually make it out.

Have already bought my first 4 kohls blankets though!!

• Like 2

As I acclimate myself to the kitchen, I am always in search of a better way.  I value versatility and ease of use -- which includes easy cleaning.  I inherited a plethora of slice and chop gadgets, but, as I slice, chop, frate, and mix more frequently, I find myself a little dissatisfied with 1) the performance of the devices, 2) cleanup, and 3) storage.  I decided to get one device to do these things better than the others.  I think (hope) that device is a food processor and believe the best value in a food processor is the Cuisinart DFP-14BCWNY...

The DFP-14BCWNY is on sale for $199.99 at Kohls compared to $159.99 at Amazon, but Kohls has promotions, right?  After $10 off for code 'LABORDAY' and 20% off for code 'POPCORN20', the price drops to $151.99.  You get $30 in Kohls Cash plus $5 more if you pick up the food processor in the store for a net cost of $116.99.  Amazon Prime Card holders get 5% back.  But another rewards program pays 6% back at Kohls today.

I found this at Kohls trying to get good value for $50 in Kohls Cash which was about to expire, so my math was a little different -- $199.99 - $50 - $10 = $139.99 x 0.8 = $111.99.  Only got $25 in Kohls Cash and 6% in other cash backwhich nets to $80.27.  I may have to spend my Kohls Cash on some of those throws you guys are always raving about.  With my youngest off to school, I have a feeling the house is going to be a lot cooler this winter!

One of the things I liked about the DFP-14BCWNY is that you can buy additional/replacement blades.  I also like that it kneads dough.  Sometimes I just don't want to put pants on to get a frozen pie crust.  The manual is here...

Here are some reviews...

I always start at consumersearch.com.  It's a 'meta-review' site that analyzes other reviews (professional and consumer) and makes a summary recommendation.  Consumersearch.com had this to say of the DFP-14BCNY:

If you're like most people, you'll probably only use a few basic attachments with your food processor, which is why the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY (Est. $200) is our top pick. It has a generous, 14-cup capacity and is simple but versatile enough for most kitchens. The DFP-14BCNY includes a chopping blade and discs for slicing and grating. Although it does not include a smaller bowl, in professional tests its well-designed blades were able to handle even small quantities without splattering or pulverizing them. If you need more tools, additional attachments are available for this Cuisinart so you can customize it to your needs. In fact, this food processor is also often referred to as the Cuisinart Custom.

The Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY is the top pick at Wirecutter, Reviews.com, Top Ten Reviews, and at a well-respected professional test kitchen; it's also the budget pick at Serious Eats. In testing the DFP-14BCNY performs very well in every job it's given, getting particular kudos for handling pie crust and cookie dough -- two very tough tasks for a food processor. However, it also gets top marks for chopping vegetables, pureeing, shredding, slicing and grinding. It's worth noting, though, that to process larger, bulkier items, you will need to first chop them into manageable pieces so that they fit into the feed tube.

Wirecutter was effusive:

For the fourth year in a row, we think the reasonably priced Cuisinart Custom 14-Cup Food Processor is best for most people. It excelled at every chopping and shredding task we attempted. In fact, the Cuisinart Custom does everything that a great food processor should without any unnecessary extras—yet it works as well as or better than costly machines with multiple bowls and more attachments. Unlike some other models we tested, the Cuisinart Custom’s base remained in place while running, even when processing double batches of dough. The Cuisinart Custom comes with just the right number of blades and disks, too, all of which can conveniently stow inside the mixing bowl. And the Cuisinart Custom was among the easiest models to clean.

America's Test Kitchen:

We still recommend the Cuisinart Custom 14 Cup Food Processor—a powerful, affordable workhorse that produces steller results every time. For the past 2 years we've stocked over two dozen of these food processors in our test kitchen, where they receive extended daily use. Aside from a recall on the blade for older models (more information below), we've found this food processor to be durable, reliable, and consistent.

Serious Eats:

While this classic from Cuisinart is far from the cheapest machine on the market, it's as inexpensive as we're willing to recommend based on our tests. At about half the cost of larger, 16-cup models, it handles the basics with ease, efficiently grating semi-firm and hard cheeses, pulling doughs together—despite not having a specialty blade—and slicing potatoes and tomatoes without destroying them.

But seeing is believing and YouTube is chock full of hands on reviews...

• Like 1

Happy September! I need to wait a little longer before I'm ready to decorate for fall. 3rd-4th week of September then I'll start thinking about it, when it's officially fall... I'm hoping to have motivation this year to actually do a few things, but we'll see if anything more than a wooden pumpkin and a few candles actually make it out.

Have already bought my first 4 kohls blankets though!!

OMG, You did not with the Kohl's throws!!  LOL!!    :):thumbsup:

• Like 2

OMG, You did not with the Kohl's throws!! LOL!! :):thumbsup:

Haha, yep! A few weeks back I was able to get them for about $9 each so I jumped. And I'm so glad I did, as 3 of the designs are no longer available! One is Halloween, one is for me, one for my daughter's birthday (she gets one for birthday and Christmas), and one for my grandson because I can't give his mom one and not him.

There are a couple of the fall designs I am eyeing, as I actually don't have any fall throws.

• Like 2

Is it just me or does anyone else find the thought of pumpkin spice anything disgusting? It's everywhere this time of year. I just don't get the whole pumpkin spice craze. :yuck:

I actually really like pumpkin spice products..I just think its BONKERS to make EVERYTHING in that flavor only this time of the year, it totally ruins the enjoyment of pumpkin and spice treats. I tend to have pumpkin items year round, especially when I want the feeling of cozy comfort. You're in Ohio too so you know they do almost as much with Apple Cider products...I like them too ,just not EVERYTHING...just my humble old opinion

• Like 2

Is it just me or does anyone else find the thought of pumpkin spice anything disgusting? It's everywhere this time of year. I just don't get the whole pumpkin spice craze. :yuck:

I don’t get it either. I think it’s actually gross. The only pumpkin anything I like is pie or Dairy Queen ice cream

• Like 1