Savings Catcher changes starting October 29th

riven3d

For those of us that use this received this email this morning

Savings Catcher will be undergoing some changes. My account

Walmart - Save Money. Live Better.

Customer Care

Help Center My Account

savings catcher

At Walmart, we’re committed to making your shopping experience using the Walmart app quicker and more convenient.

That’s why, on October 29, 2018, our Terms of Use for Savings Catcher will be changing, and Walmart Pay will be the exclusive way to submit your receipt to Savings Catcher. This will allow you to both submit and spend your Savings Catcher rewards within the same Walmart Pay experience. Due to this change, the ability to scan paper receipts within the app or submit via desktop will be discontinued.

How Savings Catcher Will Work

Rather than scanning paper receipts using the Savings Catcher scanner after paying, you’ll simply create an eReceipt using the Walmart Pay scanner when paying. Here’s how:

Enroll in Walmart Pay

Use Walmart Pay at checkout to create an eReceipt for submission. This can be done by:

Opening Walmart Pay and selecting which credit, debit, or gift card you’d like to use.

Using Walmart Pay to scan the QR code at the register to generate your eReceipt.

Tap "Submit Receipt" directly from your Walmart Pay confirmation page or from your Savings Catcher dashboard on the Walmart app

Benefits of using Walmart Pay

See why fellow Savings Catcher customers are already using Walmart Pay:

One touch submissions: Submit your eReceipt before even leaving the store

Save time and space: Never worry about leaving your wallet or purse at home by turning your phone into your secure mobile wallet

Store your purchase history: Find your past purchases in your Purchase History, easily reorder your essentials, or start a Mobile Express Return—all in the app!

Print eReceipts for cash back apps: Select a purchase from your Purchase History, share and print from your phone or email yourself your eReceipt

Enroll in Walmart Pay today on the Walmart app and discover easier, faster shopping.

Have questions? Please feel free to reach us at 1.800.WALMART.

Sincerely,

Your Walmart Savings Catcher

I consider myself pretty tech savvy and able to figure things out. But I have no idea how to pay with my phone at the register, and honestly I don't want to stand there looking like an idiot trying to learn.  How does it benefit them to force customers to use the app vs just paying with a credit card?

• Like 1

thanks for whoever updated the topic title, I posted this from my phone and it was hard enough to get the quote tags in my post.

for me this sucks, I dont use credit cards to grocery shop, I dont usually get much back, but over the course of a year it usually equals to about $20, I hate the app, sometimes it will work other times it doesnt.

what about the people who dont have a smart phone. I loved scanning receipts as we would pick up them from the parking lot, most had nothing, but some on occasion were worth some change.

• Like 6

Yet another reason to stop shopping at Walmart. I like that there is one relatively close to my house and their prices are pretty good, but first they stop price matching, now this. I can usually figure tech things out pretty quickly, depending on what it is, but this sounds like more of a headache than anything. We do have another grocery store that costs a little more (it is a family-run store that has been in business for years), but their food, especially meat and produce, are much fresher and taste a lot better. Guess I'll be doing even more, if not all, of my shopping there.

• Like 1

thanks for whoever updated the topic title, I posted this from my phone and it was hard enough to get the quote tags in my post.

for me this sucks, I dont use credit cards to grocery shop, I dont usually get much back, but over the course of a year it usually equals to about $20, I hate the app, sometimes it will work other times it doesnt.

what about the people who dont have a smart phone. I loved scanning receipts as we would pick up them from the parking lot, most had nothing, but some on occasion were worth some change.

100% agree with all of this!  I don't want to use a credit card just to grocery shop every time.  I do use my Walmart credit card when I use Grocery Pickup though because they do give you a 3% statement credit when you do, or at least they used to.  I hate the app too.  Half the time my receipts wont scan.  I've just about stopped using Savings Catcher anyway because I rarely get anything back anymore.  

Edited by HanShotFirst
  • Like 1

I consider myself pretty tech savvy and able to figure things out. But I have no idea how to pay with my phone at the register, and honestly I don't want to stand there looking like an idiot trying to learn.  How does it benefit them to force customers to use the app vs just paying with a credit card?

The only place I pay via store app is at Target.  It's so easy with the RedCard because mine is a debit attached to my checking account.  One scan of one barcode on the Target app does any coupons you added to your wallet, any Cartwheel discounts and your RedCard payment.  I'll never do this at Walmart because I'm always paying a different way there.  

I received this email and was pretty disappointed. I use different payment types at Walmart and I can’t imagine having to go through the hassle of using an app on your phone to pay. The lines are always long and MAYBE 3 cashiers available so no thank you. I usually save everything and use during Black Friday I guess that will be changing
  • Like 1

Count me as one of those people who don't have a smart phone.  I typed in the receipts on my laptop once I got home, and always enjoyed the process even though I knew if I had a smart phone I could just scan it.  With this new development I guess I'm done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a little miffed when I saw this email and I have always scanned my receipts and like doing it this way.   But I decided to bite the bullet and try it their way, as I always pay with our debit card anyway.    It was really easy to add my card to the app, and actually super easy to pay at the checkout.   After I paid, the app asked if I wanted to send my reciept to savings catcher, I touched yes and I was done.       But I can see where people who pay with cash might be upset.   This kind of leaves them out.  

• Like 1

Data collection. ALLLLLL the data collection on your buying habits.

(I use Apple Pay quite a bit, so if I actually shopped at WalMart then this isn't a huge culture shift in payment, but it's the registering a card through another app that's a meh experience, when I already have them loaded on my phone.)

I use it all the time and save up to use when I go BF shopping but this may be my last year. I do not like to load my cards on apps and give them access to everything I do. This is crazy. It is like giving them free access to your life and you are not getting paid for it. You are only getting the money back that you have already spent and nothing more. Where is the trade off on all of these things. We are giving away valuable information for free. Without it most of these companies will go under because they do not know how to operate with out free help from the public. .... okay I am taking a breathe now. 

• Like 3

I usually forget about savings catcher. Most of the food items I buy at Walmart are usually their brand like flour, sugar, butter. I can find better deals on the name brand stuff at the grocery stores when I can match coupons with sale items as the grocery store doubles coupons that is up to 99 cents or at BJs.

• Like 1

I usually forget about savings catcher. Most of the food items I buy at Walmart are usually their brand like flour, sugar, butter. I can find better deals on the name brand stuff at the grocery stores when I can match coupons with sale items as the grocery store doubles coupons that is up to 99 cents or at BJs.

Same here on buying the store brand staples so I don't earn much, if any at all.  I'm disappointed they are doing this but I don't think it will be a huge loss for me.  

• Like 2

Same here on buying the store brand staples so I don't earn much, if any at all.  I'm disappointed they are doing this but I don't think it will be a huge loss for me.  

Somethings store brand I can buy but others I can not. The flavor and taste are different at least to me, but my great aunt use to work at a factory and says that the only difference is they use leftover product and some fillers to make store brands and in some cases it is just a label and preservative change.  So it might all be mental ....not to much of a shock 

• Like 2

Somethings store brand I can buy but others I can not. The flavor and taste are different at least to me, but my great aunt use to work at a factory and says that the only difference is they use leftover product and some fillers to make store brands and in some cases it is just a label and preservative change.  So it might all be mental ....not to much of a shock 

Same here

I will use Velveeta Mac n Cheese as an example, store brand is nothing like it the taste is so different.

now other stuff, store brand is just as good and sometimes we like it better.

• Like 4

Same here

I will use Velveeta Mac n Cheese as an example, store brand is nothing like it the taste is so different.

now other stuff, store brand is just as good and sometimes we like it better.

Exactly..... I remember as a kid I use to hate the taste of certain store products like Cheese, peanut butter that ripped your bread, etc....... They have come a long way but not that well just yet for me. 

I've been using it via the Walmart Pay app for a while.  If you qualify to get an employee discount, you can also have that added in there.

It is NOT required that you actually pay through the app.  

I don't have any payment type tied to the Walmart app.

After I scan, it uses any savings catcher amount I have, then it requests payment.  I can pay in cash, check, card, etc.  My choice.  The only problem I have encountered, is you cannot save up your saving's catcher stuff as it uses any balance first.

I've been using it via the Walmart Pay app for a while. If you qualify to get an employee discount, you can also have that added in there.

It is NOT required that you actually pay through the app.

I don't have any payment type tied to the Walmart app.

After I scan, it uses any savings catcher amount I have, then it requests payment. I can pay in cash, check, card, etc. My choice. The only problem I have encountered, is you cannot save up your saving's catcher stuff as it uses any balance first.

Go into your Walmart pay you can turn off all payment methods to save it up still.

Just scan the code at the register and pay however you want. It still even prints you a receipt

• Like 1

I honestly can’t get Walmart pay to work. I have tried numerous times to add a debit card and it rejects it.

It will allow me to use gift cards. It is just too aggravating to use and process. Guess that is the end of savings catcher.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used the Walmart pay twice now. It's not as bad as I thought. LOL.  Actually, I had to run in the other night for 1 thing. I grabbed it, went through the self check, used Walmart Pay and was out the door. I wondered why I had been so resistant, it was the easiest thing ever.

• Like 2

I've used the Walmart pay twice now. It's not as bad as I thought. LOL.  Actually, I had to run in the other night for 1 thing. I grabbed it, went through the self check, used Walmart Pay and was out the door. I wondered why I had been so resistant, it was the easiest thing ever.

I scan my last receipt yesterday. I might bite the bullet and try it 

• Like 1