Official Black Friday SMART HOME Discussion Thread

Brad

Absolutely worth it! Over the past few years we have slowly changed out every single bulb in our home with Hue bulbs (including our outside lights)! I see someone has already answered but yes they can be scheduled and scheduled independently. We've had our oldest bulbs for going on 4 years now and they still haven't needed to be replaced so I can't answer that question. If you get the plain white Hue bulbs (which is what most of ours are...we don't even use the color changing function of the ones we have that have the ability to change colors) they are substantially cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using GottaDEAL

Thank you!  Definitely intriguing.  Hoping for a deal from Best Buy or Amazon so I can try this out.  

The Google home is in the target paper for 29 with a 10 gift card. I have to snag that one for sure. But I will be jumping into this as well. Philip Hue is also on my list and maybe a smart thermostat but I have a dual climate zone system and not sure if it will work correctly or not.

... and maybe a smart thermostat but I have a dual climate zone system and not sure if it will work correctly or not.

I was wondering this, too. They make it (sort of) simple for you to check.  I recommend going here and following their tutorial to check: https://nest.com/thermostats/nest-learning-thermostat/tech-specs/#works/?mode=buy

I have yet to do this, but certainly will before BF purchasing.

I was wondering this, too. They make it (sort of) simple for you to check. I recommend going here and following their tutorial to check: https://nest.com/thermostats/nest-learning-thermostat/tech-specs/#works/?mode=buy

I have yet to do this, but certainly will before BF purchasing.

Thank you

Has anyone seen the Philip Hue on sale. I do not recall seeing it in any BF ads thus far

Thank you

Has anyone seen the Philip Hue on sale. I do not recall seeing it in any BF ads thus far

Nope, not yet.  I'm expecting so from Best Buy (probably some starter kit for just over $100). The past few years has been either the A19 or BR30 starter kit for $129.99 & $119.99, respectively  You might also catch something at Amazon at some point.  If you're just looking for the bulbs, you might not get much sale on BF.  Are you looking for White or Multicolor? A19 or BR30?

Regarding the Philips Hue bulbs  -  They can be controlled using Alexa, but is that just on and off?  Or could I say "Alexa, turn the lights on dim" Or "Turn the lights on full" or something like that?

Part of the description on the BB website says they can be dimmed with a smartphone so I'm guessing that will work with Alexa too?  I don't really know but I guess I'll find out soon.  

Nope, not yet. I'm expecting so from Best Buy (probably some starter kit for just over $100). The past few years has been either the A19 or BR30 starter kit for $129.99 & $119.99, respectively You might also catch something at Amazon at some point. If you're just looking for the bulbs, you might not get much sale on BF. Are you looking for White or Multicolor? A19 or BR30?

I want the color lights. I see there in the BB BF ad so I am going to try and get them and start to build my smart house that hopefully want trap me inside if I don't clean it up right away

Regarding the Philips Hue bulbs - They can be controlled using Alexa, but is that just on and off? Or could I say "Alexa, turn the lights on dim" Or "Turn the lights on full" or something like that?

I hope so too as I am tried of having to get up and cut the lights off while I'm comfortable in bed

• Like 2

I want the color lights. I see there in the BB BF ad so I am going to try and get them and start to build my smart house that hopefully want trap me inside if I don't clean it up right away

I hope so too as I am tried of having to get up and cut the lights off while I'm comfortable in bed

LOL!   :thumbsup: 

Right?  But, I would like to be able to say, from my comfortable bed, turn them on "dim". Then I can wake up slowly instead of blasted with bright white light. LOL 

• Like 2

Regarding the Philips Hue bulbs  -  They can be controlled using Alexa, but is that just on and off?  Or could I say "Alexa, turn the lights on dim" Or "Turn the lights on full" or something like that?

the answer is YES, you can.....on and off and dim/brighten!    :)     I got my starter kit all set up plus an extra bulb (yes, I already bought another bulb LOL) and you can control them with Alexa.  I've spent the last 45 minutes telling her to turn on bedroom, living room, turn off, dim, dim to 50%, brighten, etc.  Setup is pretty easy but I did have a bit of trouble with the bridge connecting to my network.  All is well now though.  Now the problem will be remembering to leave the switch for my living room light and the lamp switches turned on.  I've set up a routine so that both room lights come on at different times so that they will be on when I get home from work in the dark.  I won't know if I did this right until I go back to work this weekend.  Can't wait to play around with it some more tomorrow.  So far this was well worth the $60.

• Like 3

the answer is YES, you can.....on and off and dim/brighten!    :)     I got my starter kit all set up plus an extra bulb (yes, I already bought another bulb LOL) and you can control them with Alexa.  I've spent the last 45 minutes telling her to turn on bedroom, living room, turn off, dim, dim to 50%, brighten, etc.  Setup is pretty easy but I did have a bit of trouble with the bridge connecting to my network.  All is well now though.  Now the problem will be remembering to leave the switch for my living room light and the lamp switches turned on.  I've set up a routine so that both room lights come on at different times so that they will be on when I get home from work in the dark.  I won't know if I did this right until I go back to work this weekend.  Can't wait to play around with it some more tomorrow.  So far this was well worth the $60.

Great. I am waiting for mine to be delivered from BB. 

I just plugged my first bulb in and got the hub set up. Now, I'm sitting on my bedroom floor, telling Amazon to turn the light on and off, and dim and brighten it.  Then giggling like a schoolgirl.  LOL  I guess it turns it on at whatever brightness you have it set up at in the app. But then you can dim and brighten.  Telling her to "turn the bedroom light on bright" confuses her and she turns off.  :sidesplit

• Like 3

I just plugged my first bulb in and got the hub set up. Now, I'm sitting on my bedroom floor, telling Amazon to turn the light on and off, and dim and brighten it.  Then giggling like a schoolgirl.  LOL  I guess it turns it on at whatever brightness you have it set up at in the app. But then you can dim and brighten.  Telling her to "turn the bedroom light on bright" confuses her and she turns off.  :sidesplit

LOL!  Glad I'm not the only one who had way too much fun with them after I got it all set up.  As far as confusing Alexa, I've just been saying "living room on bright" and she will do that.  Or tell her what percentage of light you want.  Too many words and she seems to get confused.  Of course it could be my accent.....Siri hates me because of that.  

• Like 3

Well, you've all created a monster. After reading all your posts, I decided that lightbulbs I can talk to are a thing I need in my life. So I went to Best Buy and bought the A19 at the bf price ($60) and came straight home and installed it. This is going to never end, I can already tell. I used all 4 light bulbs and now I need more. NEED. I'm going to give myself a seizure turning them off and on. My poor dog doesn't know what's going on and has started barking at the lights. I think she remembers when we had those clapper lights and she could turn then them off and on herself. Anyway, I blame you all for starting this sickness.
  • Like 6

LOL!  Glad I'm not the only one who had way too much fun with them after I got it all set up.  As far as confusing Alexa, I've just been saying "living room on bright" and she will do that.  Or tell her what percentage of light you want.  Too many words and she seems to get confused.  Of course it could be my accent.....Siri hates me because of that.  

I cant wait for my turn. This is going to be the highlight of my BF 

• Like 2

I don't have many A19s in my house, so it's going to be mostly switches for me. I plan to get a hub, a few lights, a Ring Doorbell, and a number of smart switches around BF time.  Maybe A19s would be good for the kids' lamps in their rooms.  Does it remember the brightness/color it was last on?

• Like 1

I don't use Alexa for mine but I use the app for my alarm for all the ones I have replaced. Will be adding more and more over time. I am going to be replacing one of the main switches in my bedroom this coming week so I can lay in bed and turn the lights off lol.

Very tempting, there. I won't really need the hub, but that's still $40/bulb; about $10 off regular prices.

Sent from my SM-G930V using GottaDEAL mobile app

Can anyone tell in the Walmart ad if the Arlo cameras are the ones with the rechargeable batteries?

I believe that ALL Arlo cameras are rechargeable batteries.  They are the standard ones.  Not the "PRO" version.  Pro comes with alarm and can record voice also.  Standard does not. 

With the hue lights, right down the numbers to the bulb and where they are located. When there is a problem it’s easier to fix. Sometimes it’s the Phillips bridge or Alexa becomes out of sinc and they have to reset or rentered. We have them in a book with our passwords to keep them safe.
  • Like 1

With the hue lights, right down the numbers to the bulb and where they are located. When there is a problem it’s easier to fix. Sometimes it’s the Phillips bridge or Alexa becomes out of sinc and they have to reset or rentered. We have them in a book with our passwords to keep them safe.

Thanks for the tip 

My childhood dream of living in the Jetson's home is coming true!  Now I just need the conveyor belt shower/valet dressing machine and my life will be complete

I think Amazon is working on that. Which is part of the reason why they now have a special lock for you to install to let them in whenever they need/want.

• Like 2