Alone or with a Buddy?

Dylansmommy

I've been lucky that my mom (and the ex I went with years ago, when I got my 1st lcd at Best Buy) basically let me plan everything and just tag along for the ride. My friends mostly think I'm crazy but I know for certain they couldn't hack my BF tradition. There's nothing leisurely about my shopping tactics: "get in, get what you want, get out". If you want breakfast, you get it before we leave or if there's something nearby while I'm in line.

One year my mother left her cell phone at home and we got lost for like 10-20minutes, she found me in line at the register with my stuff and I'm guessing by the look I gave her she never left my side again that day :) Every year I say I'll tone it down or maybe do a nice breafast/lunch after shopping is over but it hasn't happened yet.

I am forced to go alone because no one in my family wants to come with me, lol.  I don't mind though because I can do what I need to do and go to as many stores as I want.  I also try to make a friend or two while standing in line so it's not so lonesome.

• Like 3

I go with my sister and my daughter in law. For years, it was just me and my sister. If there is a must have doorbuster at more than 1 store, we will split up then get back together later, but that hasn't happened in a few years.

Makes a huge difference having S with us.  I think R wants to go this year.  Gonna be interesting!

• Like 1

This year will be my tenth year seriously doing Black Friday shopping. For 7 of these last 9 years I've gone to Best Buy and usually I camp out there alone. I have no trouble being friendly to those around me in line so for me camping out is never a dull experience. Of course, last year, I had to bring a buddy along because I was getting more stuff than one person could possibly get themselves, as in more than one of a ticketed item.

For the last 3 years I have been technically going alone but I take my cousin (high schooler) to run and get things for me while I'm shopping in other areas of the store.  My mom used to go with me but she stopped. I don't mind going with or without anybody as long as I get everything I want. 

I have no one to take with me, so I go it alone. I did help my dad get a TV he wanted from Walmart last year, though. I grabbed what I needed (Pyrex, mainly), then went and found the line for the TV he wanted. Since I had only needed to grab a couple of things that were in the 6 p.m. start and his TV was in the 8 p.m. start, I was actually first in line. He was thrilled to know he was going to get the TV. He drove up to join me once I was in the checkout line with the tag for his TV. It worked out really well for him and, as a show of gratitude, he bought my stuff (all of about $30 worth) for me! (Totally unexpected bonus!) Gave me a bit of extra budget to use on other things. Awesome.

But yeah... I'm a loner usually - just because everybody else thinks I'm nuts. lol

• Like 1

I have no one to take with me, so I go it alone. I did help my dad get a TV he wanted from Walmart last year, though. I grabbed what I needed (Pyrex, mainly), then went and found the line for the TV he wanted. Since I had only needed to grab a couple of things that were in the 6 p.m. start and his TV was in the 8 p.m. start, I was actually first in line. He was thrilled to know he was going to get the TV. He drove up to join me once I was in the checkout line with the tag for his TV. It worked out really well for him and, as a show of gratitude, he bought my stuff (all of about $30 worth) for me! (Totally unexpected bonus!) Gave me a bit of extra budget to use on other things. Awesome.

But yeah... I'm a loner usually - just because everybody else thinks I'm nuts. lol

Got to love a good bonus :)

• Like 1

With my mom.

Sometimes we can talk my sister into coming if we need a line holder or an extra set of arms. Shopping carts are a big no-no for us and there's usually not one to be had anyway. Last year we took several of the reusable shopping totes I've accumulated over the years to hold our stuff. That worked out great as we stuck my sister in a checkout line with her printer while the other 2 of us gathered up everything else we needed.

Edited by HanShotFirst

I do not like going BF shopping with other people. They just slow me down. I go solo Thursday morning, come home and do the turkey thing, then go back out Thursday evening after spending several hours with the family. I usually don't come back home again until after noon on Friday. By then I have already gotten everything I wanted, and bought Christmas for several angel tree kids in our area. A bunch of folks at work pitch in money, and they give it to me to spend on BF so we can get as much for the kids as possible.

Now after all that is done, I do usually go back out for a few hours with my SIL on Friday afternoon. She is usually after clothing for the kids and other small stuff, and that stuff is usually still around in the afternoon in our area. She won't get up early to go, so she just takes what she can find later in the day :-) The pace is a whole lot different by that part of the day, so we can actually slow down and enjoy shopping together.

I go it alone. I cant risk bringing someone who isnt really gonna rise or die so to speak lol. I will wait in line for 12+ hours no problem but not everyone likes the idea of that. Plus I want to get what I want and anyone getting in the way of that for any reason would upset me. Especially if I realllllly want it whatever it is.

This year I'm going completely solo.

I used to drag my dad along, I'd leave him in line for an item then go running around the store to find other items. Then I'd drop him back home around 12-2am, then go back out at 5:30 to meet a friend for more shopping.

But last year my dad got cut out of the equation because of a (thankfully minor) stroke, and this year my friend will be driving her sister back out to the airport so there goes that plan.

So I'll be doing it all by myself this year. On the plus side I can listen to whatever I want in the car.

I have never gone alone. I always have SOMEONE with me. Every year its a different person but, I try to take someone with me. It seems every year I need to be in two different lines at the same time or the 2 main things I want are on opposite sides of the store. sigh!

I guess I technically never went 100% alone. For about 15-16 years I went with my sister. I miss those days. Once the openings moved to late Thursday, I no longer went then but she did. I now go still around 4am Friday. Dh takes me but only goes in some places like Walmart (the last few years it's dead in there and we still get bargains). At the mall, he will drop me off at one end and pick me up at the other but he doesn't go in. Back in the day he used to go with my sister and I too. He'd drop us off at the door, fight for parking, then fight for a cart and go stay in a designated area at places like Walmart and Target. Then my sister and I'd run for items. I will say again, I miss the old days of Black Friday.