green pickle

stevierocks

a new idea adding to christmas morning... i just read on a different post, and think it needs its own, so i didnt over take the other by posting about it... i dont think every one knows what it is.. as i had to look it up and never heard of it...

basically santa must put this green pickle on the tree christmas night..who ever finds it gets..... in my case it will be to open first present..but it could be an extra present .. or anything..

I don't think I added this in my other posts, but we call it the Christmas Pickle. LOL!!  Its so funny b/c my kids will have me put on the tree a couple of times before Christmas so they can "practice" at seeing who can find it first. Hahahaha!  Its all in good fun and even though I always have a ton of tree needles on my floor (since we put up a real one) its still well worth all the clean up.  They just know not to get to carried away and mess up all the decorations.  LOL!  Hope you are able to get one.  It really is a lot of fun!!

I did not grow up with this tradition and did not do it with my kids, but when I went to Germany 2 years ago I bought a pickle ornament from the Kristkindlemart.  So now i hang it on my tree but I don't hide it or have anyone look for it.  I did read that the child who finds the pickle gets to open the first gift.

We do this every year, we give a prize for finding it.  We have a rubber ducky ornament that gets 2nd place.....they kids love it and they are now adults and want to do it still  My husband's family is German and its what he grew up with, as well as leaving your santa list in your boot on the night of Dec 5th and Santa comes and takes the list and leaves some goodies

We do this every year, we give a prize for finding it.  We have a rubber ducky ornament that gets 2nd place.....they kids love it and they are now adults and want to do it still  My husband's family is German and its what he grew up with, as well as leaving your santa list in your boot on the night of Dec 5th and Santa comes and takes the list and leaves some goodies

wow .. to bad they don t do that earlier... like before black friday! lol

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, the pickle tradition originates from Germany.  I want to say I read that on the box when I bought the ornament.  It had a cute description on where it came from and the story behind it.  I love doing it with my boys!  When I bought it, I just knew that even when they become adults, this may very well be something they will continue to want to do.