Too soon to discuss store hours?

julz0420

Once BF really started to catch on as a huge shopping event, major retailers have continued to push the limit of when to open their stores.

Stores have gone from opening at 6am to a few hours earlier (3-5am), to Midnight and now last year to opening Thanksgiving Evening. More stores may open Thanksgiving Evening that did not last year (or open at Midnight if they haven't opened that early), and I think many that were open Thanksgiving may open slightly earlier...say 4-6PM. I could also see possibly this year or the near future, that stores open on Thanksgiving and are open for 8 hours or so, and close for a few hours and open up again on BF morning. They could use this type of strategy to market certain items (hot-ticket toys and tech) to entice shoppers to come to stores when the corporate execs want them there. Having a smoking deal on computers/tablets who's price is only good on Thursday, then having an awesome deal on TVs start Friday. I feel this is where the BF event is heading....Walmart sort of started this with their staggered deals, and I think other retailers may adapt this idea to get certain items sold on Thursday that people wait in line for.

Walmart is one of the front-runners of pushing their store opening hours right? Haven't they been one of the stores leading the "open-earlier" idea every year? If Walmart opens earlier on Thanksgiving, you can bet other retailers will push their openings earlier than they originally planned. If a store plans to open at 8-9pm TG, but other retailers have pushed up to 5-6pm, they cant let all the shoppers go to those retailers. They will push their own openings forward to make shoppers decide where to go.

I'm with most everyone else. Last year I got a lot of my stuff online. My sister and I just go for the tradition. If they keep going earlier and earlier there will be no tradition left, especially if you can get what you want online. :-(

I miss the traditional BF years.  Those were the good times!  ;) 

I refuse to Thanksgiving shop in store.  That's not only our family day but we also try to volunteer or help another family out.  I won't compromise that for shopping....ever.  I will get online in the morning, or during cooking to check deals, but to be honest I've found a lot of toy deals (3 year old) in July at Target's clearance sale.  Then again, a 3 year old isn't into particular themes or hit toys yet.

Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise, Florida announced their Black Friday Hours.

"The 350-plus store megamall will open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving, offering 27 continuous hours of holiday bargain shopping, according to a release.

The mall will close at 9:30 p.m. Nov. 28."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/deals-shopping/sfl-sawgrass-mills-announces-2014-black-friday-hours-20141001-story.html

Hmm. Interesting but i don't think they have enough of the stores i hit to justify going all that way.

I don't like the earlier hours either. The only thing I find easier about it is that I just stay up versus sleeping for a while and setting an alarm. I found that last year the stores didn't seem as busy overall. It was also weird to not really have to wait in line outside most places because I didn't go at opening because it was too early for me. Oddly, I kind of missed the waiting out in the cold part.

I don't mind the early sales online. I shop them on Wednesday while I'm waiting for pies and such to cook and I shop on Thursday while watching the parade. I never go to Kohl's on BF. I only do their sale online!

I was checking the hours for this weekend at the Woodbury Common Premium Outlets in New York at their website, and I saw these hours for Thanksgiving and Black Friday:

Thanksgiving Eve: Wed, Nov 26
10am-9pm

Thanksgiving Day: Thu, Nov 27
10am-Midnight

After-Thanksgiving Weekend Sale
Fri - Sun: Nov 28 - 30
Fri, Nov 28: Midnight-10pm
Sat, Nov 29: 7am-10pm
Sun, Nov 30: 8am-9pm

Edited by drod58

I was checking the hours for this weekend at the Woodbury Common Premium Outlets in New York at their website, and I saw these hours for Thanksgiving and Black Friday:

Thanksgiving Eve: Wed, Nov 26

10am-9pm

Thanksgiving Day: Thu, Nov 27

10am-Midnight

After-Thanksgiving Weekend Sale

Fri - Sun: Nov 28 - 30

Fri, Nov 28: Midnight-10pm

Sat, Nov 29: 7am-10pm

Sun, Nov 30: 8am-9pm

Oof, those hours are brutal for employees.  I hope they can work it out that people are staggered.

I am not generally in favor of weekly "blue" laws, but I would like to see state or federal laws prohibiting most sales just for Thanksgiving Day (midnight to midnight).

I will be visiting family (my parents) in Texas this year, who are strongly anti-shopping on Thanksgiving, so I will not be going out until sometime in the LATE evening after we would normally leave to go back to our hotel.  Last time I visited for Thanksgiving, BF still started early Friday morning.  I will be online Wednesday night looking for online deals, which will be good for me anyway since I don't have to carry them in the car all the way back from Texas to New York City.

As much as I hate to say this…. I think with the way the economy is, most people will be out shopping on Thanksgiving if they can save a $1 or $50. Even the people who will go on chat rooms and swear never to give up family time for a sale…. If there is something I really want at a great price, I will be in line with a turkey leg in my mouth.  Black Friday is not for the wealthy who can always afford full price, but for the regular Joe trying to make Christmas extra special for their loved ones.

The news had a story last night about the mall opening at 6pm on Thanksgiving.

"The general manager of Bay Park Square tells tenants the mall will open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 27, and stay open for seven hours.

The mall will close at 1 a.m. and open again at 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. for more Black Friday shopping."

I find it odd that they will close at 1am and open in the morning again.

http://www.wbay.com/story/26808611/2014/10/16/bay-park-square-to-start-black-friday-on-thanksgiving-evening

The news had a story last night about the mall opening at 6pm on Thanksgiving.

"The general manager of Bay Park Square tells tenants the mall will open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 27, and stay open for seven hours.

The mall will close at 1 a.m. and open again at 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. for more Black Friday shopping."

I find it odd that they will close at 1am and open in the morning again.

http://www.wbay.com/story/26808611/2014/10/16/bay-park-square-to-start-black-friday-on-thanksgiving-evening

It would be terrible for a mall to close and then re-open.  We have to travel almost and hour to get to the shopping areas for BF.  We use the mall as our warm safe haven when we are waiting for the next batch of stores to open.  I would not drive back home and then back out again.  Hope our area malls do not do this.

The premium outlets in my area are opening at 6PM on Thanksgiving day.  I wish they could bring some of those laws to my state. They same items will be available in the stores on Friday. I don't get the opening times that get earlier and earlier each year.  These early openings have killed the tradition of Black Friday really. I miss the days when Black Friday actually started on Friday around 4 to 5 AM :indiffere  Oh well if people would boycott going at these earlier start times they would get it.  But hey some  people will be out there so why would they change...

Edited by babygirl913