HELP!!! My computer broke down. Need new one

caramel

Long story short, a member of my family destroyed my computer, and it's BEYOND repair. I really need a computer for school and work. Does anyone know of any Holiday sales where I can get one? Thank you in advance :)

Yes, I'd be interested in knowing exactly what's wrong with it.

It could be a simple software issue. You would be amazed how easily you can fix a computer with a simple operating system re-install. Unless it's a hardware issue, it would be quicker and cheaper to re-install the software.

Do you know what exactly is wrong with it?

If you insist on buying a new computer, low end Dell desktops start around $299 plus taxes/shipping.

Long story short, a member of my family destroyed my computer, and it's BEYOND repair. I really need a computer for school and work. Does anyone know of any Holiday sales where I can get one? Thank you in advance :)

Destroyed as in smashed??? Other than that it should be repairable.

Hmm -- let me guess:

A member of the family borrowed it to go on an expedition to Mt. Everest and upon getting close to the top there was an earthquake. Luckily (??) only the computer got dropped into the crevice that opened. However fearing the wrath of the family member -- the borrower crawled down into the crevice to retrieve the computer only to find that in a freak of nature the computer then became encrusted in a case of ice. Upon attaching grappling hooks to haul the ice encrusted computer up out of the crevice -- the grappling hooks lost their grip (really they should make these better) and the computer fell, crashed against the side of the ice cavern (for those of you who follow along -- the crevice revealed an ice cavern -- hey it's my story!!) Smashing the ice case and computer into millions of tiny little parts -- there by making it beyond repair. Legend has it that the borrower is still in the ice cavern trying to pick up the pieces............

Ok you guys actually made me laugh and trust me that's hard to do this week. What happened was that my brother started up the computer in directory restore mode. When you do that you have to press "OK" when the Safemode message pops up so it can continue loading. Well he didn't do that before he went to work! I got home from work around 9:30 that night so when I pushed OK...nothing happened! It simply would not get past MSDOS mode after millions of attempts of restarting. I tried to reinstall my system by putting in my recovery CD but it won't read anything from the CD rom or even the DVD drive! Trust me when I say that I have had many experiances in fixing other people's computers and I'm very traumatized by the fact that I am unable to fix my own! And taking it to a repair place will not be useful because they don't know squat. I don't mean to sound arrogant but really I know way more than they do. I always end up fixing the computers of friends and family AFTER they took it for professional repair. Plus it would cost me more to repair than I paid for the darn thing! It's not name brand comp...Fry's Great Quality :tongue1: and it only cost me very little to begin with. But now I honestly can't afford to pay what I paid orginally for a new one. I need to make two loan payments (one for my home and the other for my business) and shelling out this type of money is just not a luxury for me right now. Unfortunately for me a computer is not a luxury either as it is my source of income as well. I figured you guys always know about the best deals so I decided to ask. I will check out the Dell thing...the clearance thing is on their site? I saw an ad on tv about Circuit City Midnight Madness or something so I hope that includes computers!!!!!!

why don't u format the hard drive and start with a fresh copy of your OS??? (u said u can get to DOS or the setup menu).

or, install a cheap 4 gig hard drive as a second drive..then put the OS on that...then u can get to your old Hard drive to get your files, etc. (the setup should recognize the hard drive).

I have done this multiple times to mine and my friends' computers.

recovery mode is crap..never works for me.