Question on buying a warranty for a laptop

I intended to buy the Toshiba at CC on BF, but I wasn't able to get one. The manager was rude and disrespectful to my mother so I wrote a complaint to customer service, who offered to sell me the laptop for $325 (without even signing up for AOL). The only problem with this is that it is an open unit. I don't have a problem with this, but would you reccomend purchasing a extended warranty since it is an open unit --possibly returned? Will the original manufacturer's warranty still be valid?

I really don't know which way to go at this point. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Do you have the original box, owners manual and sales receipt?

I would recommend buying an extended warranty direct from Toshiba. There are several different warranty plans to choose from. It all depends on what kind of coverage you are comfortable with and of course what your budget is.

Remember this is a $325 laptop so spending $199 or $229 on an extended warranty isn't a wise financial decision. I would pay anywhere from $99 - $149 for 2-3 years mail in coverage.

Wow Toshiba's 3 year standard warranty is on sale for $98.10, not bad.

The benefit of the Circuit City plan is you can bring it into the store and they mail it for you. You will still be without a laptop for 1-3 weeks while the repair center diagnoses and fixes it. Since you bought an "open box" I would call Toshiba sales and ask if you're still eligible for their extended warranty?

I upgraded my warranty on the Dell I purchased, but I thought I pass along a nice savings I received. I did not want to buy the protection plan. I called my State Farm agent and purchased a protection plan on the laptop for $16.00 per year. There minimum policy is $30 per year but since I already had jewelry insured, the minimum was met. It covers dropping it, spilling on it and the biggie theft!!

Check with your insurance agent prior to purchasing any protection plan. I would much rather deal with my insurance agent then a computer company and since with State Farm it is not linked to my homeowners, if I make a claim it will not raise my homeowner rate.

Kim

We own our home and I didn't believe it either. This is floater policy though, not attached to my homeowners. Just got the bill in the mail. My policy renewed in September and the extra charge is $6.10 for the laptop. They valued it at $633.00 (I had to send the receipt in) so I guess they took shipping and handling off the purchase price. Even at $30.00 a year it would be good deal over what Dell charges and I don't think they include theft (police report required). But my son goes to college next fall - I think that theft is a real possibility.

Kim

I never thought of that!! I usually buy the extended warranty on the expensive electronics because we have always had to use it. Things tend to break the week after the normal warranty ends. I should check State Farm, but they seem to charge us an arm and a leg for everything. Our insurance just went up this renewal, and their excuse was that they had to pay $300 for my medical bill when the moron hit me two years ago!!! And really, they didn't pay it. They got their money back from the other jerk's insurance.

Well, no matter what you decide get a warranty. Warranties are almost a neccessity for laptops, because they cover battery replacement, screen, etc. A two year plan from CC will probably cost about 140, 150. They have very good coverage and support for it, but no accidental. It's your chocie.

To clarify -

I still upgrade the warranty for defects from the manufacturer.

I was very worried about an 18 year old and a laptop and was debating about also buying the accident (spilling, dropping, theft) policy. I got the prices, and called my insurance agent prior to purchasing and found out that the deal was better.

The insurance policy through State Farm does NOT cover defects, hardware or software problems unless it is due to dropping or spillage which is not covered by the manufacturer.

I bought a warranty with my laptop for 100. I didn't buy one when I purchased my desktop because the hardware is pretty cheap to replacce but the laptop is a whole nother story :) The warranty I purchased covers everything from the battery and wires to well everything :) I always recommend buying one when purchasing a laptop. A little extra can really make a difference should you ever need it!