First time you bought Christmas presents online?

MarkRaby

Anyone remember or have a good story about their first time? For me, it was 1999. My sister really wanted one of the new Pokedex toys. It was the hot toy of the year and they could not be found anywhere. My brother and I (with help from our mom) got her one for around $80 from some Yahoo store. One of the first things our family ever bought online, actually.

-Mark-

My first year buying online was in early of '01 from Amazon. I was thrilled to find things so cheap that I ended up buying tons of things to give as Christmas presents. My family thought I had lost it when they saw how much I had in our storage room ..........and I got it all for little or nothing. I had done some surveys back then that paid very well so I had g/c to use.

This is the first year I've bought anything online for Christmas (not first time ever though, shop online all the time) and it has turned out to be a horrible experience. I preordered an item in November for a Dec release. Date came and went, no order shipped. Company finally shipped it 8 days later, was supposed to get it today or monday. That was before UPS screwed it up. They left the package in PA for an extra day, delaying delivery until the 20. Then it was late getting into IL, delaying it another day. If I don't get the item I ordered in November until after Christmas, I'm going to be on big B**CH to the company and to UPS.

It was around 98 or 99 I don't remember exactly -- but back then sometime. Those were the good old days. I remember getting all my stocking stuffers for free. Barnes and Noble, Amazon -- just about all of them gave out $5 off $5 or $10 off $10 and it could apply to shipping. Plus I was a member of something called Mypoints -- basically back then all you had to do was open an email and you got points -- then the points could be redeemed for g/c's to different stores, you got to choose. I remember one year I had $150 g/c for TRU and got the kids nintendo gameboys and games for free on bf thanks to mypoints!!! Ahhhh the good ole' days!!!!!

Anyone remember or have a good story about their first time? For me, it was 1999. My sister really wanted one of the new Pokedex toys. It was the hot toy of the year and they could not be found anywhere. My brother and I (with help from our mom) got her one for around $80 from some Yahoo store. One of the first things our family ever bought online, actually.

-Mark-

In 2001...I bought a dell [which now crashes]

and last year bought a new dell:banana01:

wow...its sounds like you had the same problem like me...

They canceled my order..then had to replace my order....and its offtopic

oh i didn't mean the buying process, i meant how it ran lol. After 3 months they had to come here, after calling 30 times, to come replace the powersupply and motherboard, get home...now i have to hit f1 everytime i start it. Not calling back cause god knows what will happen if this guy comes back, oh and they downgraded my soundcard :mad:

This is the first year that I bought things online for Christmas..

Bought quite a few things from ebay..

Got one thing from Amazon.. I was surprised it shipped so fast..

I got one thing from a online store called Through the Country Door..

still waiting on that one.. Got the statement before the package.lol..

1st thing I bought online was on yahoo and ebay auctions power rangers my DS was major into them. funny thing is the one I purchased from Yahoo I didnt have to pay shipping on, because the person that was selling the item I found out after the fact was a friend of mine's Mom and lived in the same town, so I just scooted on over to where she worked and picked it up.

I can't remember if it was the first Christmas present I bought online, but certainly the most important, lol. When my ds9 was in Kindergarten (he's in 4th now) he decided that he really, really wanted these Construx that they had in his classroom. Well, lo and behold, they stopped manufacturing those things in about 1986! Needless to say, I went on ebay and found him two mint sets of them. The funny thing is, he played with them some and still had them in his closet. He's now at that age where he's teetering on believing. (I thought we'd lost him.) BUT...he was playing with those Construx the other day with his brother and I commented how amazing it was that Santa had gotten him those toys because they hadn't been made in 20 years!!!! He was like huh? I explained to him and said that maybe Santa had some sitting around in one of his warehouses or something. Well, after that he came down and asked me if I could email Santa because he wanted to change his list, lol. I think I've got the kid thoroughly confused! Hehe.

I've had plenty of good buys over the years since, but nothing as good as being able to get the one thing that my son asked for from Santa. :)

Oh yeah! Another great find was some white Sorel pack boots that I wore to my wedding. (I was married on a mountain in January.) I ordered them from the comfy chair at my mom's house in Florida, lol. They just happened to be my size and brand new and arrived at my home the day after I did.

Being able to find the obscure seems to be the best thing about online shopping for me. :)