you guys need to becareful fraud out there

mommie75

i buy alot of things using paypals and so how someone got my info it is throw my hubby's email account i have hin trained not to opened just forward since i have been buy ing stuff.. well this am i opened on and someone took 370.00 for something we did not buy.. i ran to bedroom woke him up and flipped out he said he did not buy it either .. so beware here is the info we got.. we are going ot try and find out more if we do i will post we filled out a form to reject payment so we will see what happenes hopefully this a** will not get the 370.00 i don't have that kind of money to waste. the money is in there because my rent of 800.00 has not come out.. so he could get it hubby is going to call today and see what he can find out

This email confirms that you have paid [email protected] $370.00 USD using PayPal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details

Purchased From:dadvdguy

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal

5822835732 Apple iPod 60GB - LIKE NEW! 1 $355.00 USD $355.00 USD

Shipping & Handling via Standard Delivery to 759XX

(includes any seller handling fees) $15.00 USD

Shipping Insurance(optional): --

Total: $370.00 USD

Transaction ID:45S65173S2274710F

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping Information

Shipping Info: Omar Hadji

1577 cr 4789

Timpson, TX 75975

United States

Address Status: Unconfirmed

Something like that happened to me last year and I had to close my checking acct. and open a new one (complete with new ATM card) because someone had hacked into my paypal account. They had gotten in there somehow and tried to take nearly $1000 by making it look like I had bought all kinds of junk. I caught it in time by changing the acct. so that when the "sales" tried to go thru they were all rejected. Only problem was that it showed that I owed paypal that amount of money for a couple of months before it was all straightened out.

Guest lolwtfbbq
paypal is nothing but a scam in itself. first off, i keep old cards on file that arent in use anymore. it makes them think i have a card on file, but i really dont. and i never keep more then 10 bucks in there, if there is i take it all out.

The sad part about this whole thing is that people are too lazy to just get a job - instead they have to steal from others who work hard for that money :mad: I just don't understand how people can live with themselves after doing that to someone....

Good luck getting it all straightened out. From what I have heard, PayPal is really good about helping solve these kinds of issues.

I just did a search Omar Hadji

From what i seen , its a joke. Kind of a bad one if you ask me

Here this is what i found

elegant_glass_addict (403 ) View Listings | Report Nov-26-05 19:07 PST

I got an email thanking me for payment today, here it is. Please be very careful. The first thing I did was open a new window, and check my paypal account, then the auction number, and the seller's ID. This is a spoof, please do not fall for it.

Dear The Shop,

This email confirms that you have paid [email protected] $370.00 USD using PayPal.

Payment Details

Purchased From:dadvdguy

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal

5822835732 Apple iPod 60GB - LIKE NEW! 1 $355.00 USD $355.00 USD

Shipping & Handling via Standard Delivery to 759XX

(includes any seller handling fees) $15.00 USD

Shipping Insurance(optional): --

Total: $370.00 USD

Transaction ID:45S65173S2274710F

Shipping Information

Shipping Info: Omar Hadji

1577 cr 4789

Timpson, TX 75975

United States

Address Status: Unconfirmed

If you have questions about the shipping and tracking of your purchased item or service, please contact the seller [email protected].

NOTE: Your address status is Unconfirmed.

If you haven't authorized this payment, please CLICK HERE to go directly to this transaction's dispute page in the PayPal's Resolution Center. An Instant Refund Claim form is also available. You have 3 days to claim your refund, after which the payment clears to the recipient's account and becomes non-refundable.

Thank you for using PayPal!

The PayPal Team

Your monthly account statement is available anytime; just log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com/us/HISTORY. To correct any errors, please contact us through our Help Center at https://www.paypal.com/us/HELP.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, please update your preferences.

PayPal Email ID PP843

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=1000145504&tstart=0&mod=1133062398589

Here's the link -->

Guest outrbanx

I just did a search Omar Hadji

From what i seen , its a joke. Kind of a bad one if you ask me

Here this is what i found

I think that it's less of a "joke" and more of a scam to GET your account info. I am sure that if you click on the "click here" where it says to go to the dispute transaction page, it connects you to a site that is NOT PayPal and asks to input your password, etc. That's how they will steal it from you.

I would forward the email to [email protected] to see if it is real. I'm hoping that they have not accessed your account, but are simply trying to get the information to do so. Just don't give your information through a link in the email. Be sure to open a new window and be sure that the "secure lock" is present at the bottom.

Don't panic yet...

Best of luck to you. :)

Guest outrbanx

we did click the button and took us to paypals... not some other site.. and then i also changed my info at paypals

I know this seems like a dumb question, but did you notice if your browser's address bar indicated it was PayPal's site starting with a "https:", or did it just look like PayPal. They can easily create a site that looks identical to PayPal's, but is really a site set up only to steal information.

Guest lolwtfbbq
i hope to God you didnt put your information in the window when you clicked that link... if you signed into paypal, then he just got your info. if you did, i would call the card company that you have registered and close it STAT.

I will not click on any links in any email unless the address is clearly spelled out like www.suchandsuch.com even if I'm expecting it and know who it comes from. You can never be to careful. Always, always type in the address as you never know who is trying to phish or scam you these days.

Yes, never click on a link in an email (there's rare exceptions, such as signing up on a forum and needing to confirm your email account, but never ever do so with a link to your bank, paypal, or ebay). It'll look authentic, but just don't do it! Open a new window, go to www.paypal.com, and log in. I bet that payment doesn't show up anywhere. Now, what information did you give this bogus site? Was it just your PayPal account info? Then go in and change your password NOW! Was it a credit card to "verify" your account? Call up your bank and cancel it now. Whatever you gave them, you need to make sure that information is now invalid.

My mom fell for one of these scams, and it's kinda my fault. She hadn't used ebay or PayPal for a while and wanted me to help make sure it was all up and running ok. She couldn't remember her PayPal address, so we had to request a new one. To confirm her identity, one of the things we could type in was her credit card number (it gave a list of things we could use, and gave the last few digits of the account number, so we'd know they already had the info and just needed it again to confirm). Well a week or so later she got an email from PayPal saying someone's email address was added to her account. She freaked, clicked the link, and it wanted her credit card number to confirm the account. She put it in but said it gave an error because she didn't enter her pin too. When I told her it was a scam, she still thought she was ok because the site gave an error because she didn't give a pin, I told her they most likely had the info she submitted, but were trying to get more. Luckily she went ahead and cancelled her card that day, but many wouldn't even have bothered.

I got the same email and also freaked out. I went to paypal.com and logged in. Found out it was a lie. Nothin was ever taken out of my account.

If you notice, on the bottom on the email it said click here if this is not correct or something like that. In all the times I have bought and used paypal, it NEVER said that in the confirmation email.

Protection Policies - Privacy & Security

Q: How can I tell the difference between a real PayPal email and a fake one?

A: The term spoofing and phishing have been used to describe the act of collecting personal information using a fake email in order to commit identity theft, credit card, and Internet fraud. If you click on a link included in an email you're not sure is from PayPal, make sure the address at the top of the browser window you're brought to reads exactly www.paypal.com.

PayPal emails will address you by first name, last name, or business name, and NOT by Dear PayPal User or Dear PayPal Member.

If you are ever uncertain about the validity of the email or the email links, open a new web browser window and type in www.paypal.com.

If you think you have received a fraudulent email, forward the entire email to [email protected] and then delete it from your email account.

Right off of PayPal's Web site...

Guest outrbanx

I got the same email and also freaked out. I went to paypal.com and logged in. Found out it was a lie. Nothin was ever taken out of my account.

If you notice, on the bottom on the email it said click here if this is not correct or something like that. In all the times I have bought and used paypal, it NEVER said that in the confirmation email.

Exactly. The charge was probably a lie. You trying to fix it or report it through the email is how they (thieves) get your private information.

Many people (not all, certainly), voluntarily give out their information to criminals without even realizing it. In turn, they blame PayPal for poor security .

Knowledge is the best way to combat these "phishing" schemes. Never click on a link within an email without knowing for sure that it is legit and never reply to one. Replying only lets them know that you are there and paying attention to them. Send it to [email protected] or [email protected]. They will let you know (usually within minutes), whether or not it initally came from them.

I will not click on any links in any email unless the address is clearly spelled out like www.suchandsuch.com even if I'm expecting it and know who it comes from. You can never be to careful. Always, always type in the address as you never know who is trying to phish or scam you these days.

It doesn't matter if it spells out "such and such. com" or not, there are ways to spell out something and then it go someplace else. Try clicking my like here to see an example... http://www.paypal.com

If you are in doubt, NEVER click a link AT ALL. Rt click on it and view the properties of the link. 9 times out of 10 it will spell out a legit site, only to send you to another site where the phishing will happen.

That is a big SCAM!!!!

I've had prolly 10 or more of those emails sent to me in the past few months, send them to paypal ([email protected]).

NEVER EVER click on ANY link and fill out info if it asks you too, if your ever curious just send it to that spoof email and they'll let you know.

Right away go to the paypal site yourself and check your account, more than likely tho this is one of the phishing emails that people are sending trying to get your paypal info.

I get those about once a week. Got one today for a Jim Dickery in Chicago. Guess I paid him $365.00. Well- thats nice- I don't have that much in my paypal account nor in the account tied to it. I always double check my paypal accounts when I get them but I just send them off to the paypal fraud and be done with it.

I had about 1700 taken out of my checking account last year in fraudulent purchases. The bank immediately reversed the charges -and so what does Paypal do even after they had been told this was fraud... tried to charge my Credit Card. The Credit card called - and denied the charged and closed the card. PayPal & FleaBay are EVIL and they do not care if someone gets screwed.

I get thost quite a bit too had one not to long ago saying that I bought a Rolex. I went into my account and no money was removed. I forward all to their spoof department. Definetely never click the links and enter information they can make it seem like you are at paypal but you are not!!!!

I got one of those a few months back, and I freaked out...but when I went to paypal.com and looked, there was nothing. So, I called them, and sure enough, it was a scam and there had been no money sent. I'm so glad I didn't click on anything in that e-mail. That being said, now I get about 1 email a day saying an email address has been added to my paypal account but those are false as well. Hopefully this is what has happened to you too and you've lost no money.

I get fake emails almost daily claiming to be from paypal. Just place your mouse pointer over the link and the true url will appear in the bottom left corner. I sometimes log on them and give them bogus credit card numbers. :D

That probably only confirms to the Spammers that your e-mail address is a legitmate one and will lead to more Spam in your e-mail inbox.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileys/bewarespam.gif

Besides the "bogus numbers" you give them might be real numbers for someone else out there...