there showing on are tv not to shop at walmart are they on yours

mommie75

what good are kids if they cant work.. jeeez LOL JOKING!!! in the podunk town i live in... if i didnt go to walmart..i would be hurtin.. so ill never boycott em

You know, but what other company would be employing these children if Wal-Mart wasn't? You cannot try to tell me that there wouldn't be another one of our fine retailers that wouldn't be out doing the same thing. There have been several reports done that show the percentage of our goods that are produced in sweat shops by small children, and the percentage is staggering. Wal-Mart just catches the biggest amount of crap because they are the biggest car for the dogs to chase. If you don't want to buy clothes that came from a sweat shop, then you really need to grow your own materials, weave your own material and sew it yourself, or spend a lot of time researching every item down to your shoes and underwear, because realistically that's where a lot of sweatshop items come from! Personally, I don't agree with it, but at the same time, I realize that Wal-Mart is not the only offender, and many of the people who are doing the reporting are wearing sweat shop shoes, panties or bras, even if they don't shop with the Walton family.

I would like to point out that Wal-Mart did start out as a small business and did grow into what it is today.

I would also like to point out that I knew a couple of people that worked there that would not be given the full 40 hrs a week to be qualified as full time so they wouldn't have to pay benefits. There are ALOT of places that do this type thing, so it really isn't new and I can't really get mad at Wal-Mart about that, b/c it is a pretty good idea. If someone will still work 39 hrs. a week and you don't have to pay benefits, that's good for you. Maybe they aren't as concerned about the employee, but that's why they are such a large corporation now.

I don't want to offend anyone, just wanted to add my .02

Until I get rich, or a Target moves in next door and pms and offers layaway, I will shop at WM. I have 5 kids, hubby is going to school and working full time. I lost my job and I can't afford the over priced stores around here other than WM. So, I am happy shopping there until another store offers something better.

oh i shop at walmart it is the only thing around here.. but i do know for a fact that my sis in law who has worked at wm for 10 years has run into problems many of them but she has stayed there because she has been there for 10 years and can not get to work till 6 pm and no where else will hire her and pay here what she makes ..

i was just asking if people have seen the ads.. i shop there because they are alot cheaper and closer than anything else around here...

they have lay a way no where else does and with 4 kids i can not afford to go a buy 1000 worth of x mas present i need lay a way for that couple of weeks

oh i shop at walmart it is the only thing around here.. but i do know for a fact that my sis in law who has worked at wm for 10 years has run into problems many of them but she has stayed there because she has been there for 10 years and can not get to work till 6 pm and no where else will hire her and pay here what she makes ..

i was just asking if people have seen the ads.. i shop there because they are alot cheaper and closer than anything else around here...

they have lay a way no where else does and with 4 kids i can not afford to go a buy 1000 worth of x mas present i need lay a way for that couple of weeks

If you get online and look up "walmart movie" you will find websites that have the information about the new movie that's been made "exposing" Wal-Mart. Many news outlets have taken this "documentary" and used it as the basis for their story. If you are curious about the origin of all the negative press all of the sudden, the origin is nearly always the movie, and if you go look at the website, that is exactly what they are looking to do. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. I think it will take more than that for the average person to say, Hey, let's spend more money and go somewhere else to shop. Most people want fair prices and to get their stuff in as few stops as possible. I know I can't stand dragging my family in and out of the car. I miss my Super Target, and Wal-Mart's all we got out here.

When I left WM on Saturday, there were people out front passing out anti-WM flyers and holding signs. One guy asked me if I wanted some literature, and of course I was in a mood so I said, "I have better things to do with my time, thank you very much, and if you have so much spare time, why not volunteer for the Red Cross or Salvation Army?" That shut him up. ; )

I'm tired of hearing negative things about Wal-Mart.

1.They don't allow overtime? That's how it is in most retail stores, you're not allowed to work overtime unless your supervisor tells you.

2. Driving small shops out of business. I don't see what people are complaining about here, it's simple capitalist economics. If you're price is sky high (like most mom and pop shops around here), people are going to stop buying from you and go buy a similar item for a lot cheaper at WM. If you don't like it, go somewhere anti-capitalist, like Cuba.

3. Wages are too low. Most stores are going to start you out at minimum wage, or close to it. That's how it is in retail, unless you have a lot of experience in a certain position.

WM is a great store and it's a shame that it's the target of so much pathetic propoganda. Wal Mart gives a lot to charity and communities and they employ the elderly and handicapped when no one else will. In conclusion, Wal-Mart is a great store to shop at because of their low prices, everyday.

:bs:

I'm tired of hearing negative things about Wal-Mart.

1.They don't allow overtime? That's how it is in most retail stores, you're not allowed to work overtime unless your supervisor tells you.

Most of us that are complaining about the overtime thing, is that they _MAKE_ you work overtime saying you can't leave till you do a certain thing, then another thing, then another thing saying if you don't stay you can just leave now and pick up your final paycheck within 24 hours. And then later in the week telling you you have to leave work early so they don't have to pay you the overtime they made you work in the first place, or you have to come in late, or (like I had to do once) take a 3 1/2 hour lunch but yet you're not allowed to leave in case they need to call you back during your break to help a customer (which you don't get paid for). We get pissed because the _supervisor_ tells us to stay late and work over our scheduled time but then later in the week tells us we need to make sure of our hours and let them know how much we are going to be over so they can arrange to cut our hours later in the week and if we do end up getting the slightest little bit of overtime we will get wrote up for it and it will go in our file and we can get fired for it. It's just all a bunch of :bs:

Wal Mart gives a lot to charity and communities and they employ the elderly and handicapped when no one else will.

Maybe in your community, but not here. They gave out $10,000 on the day they opened when the tv stations all came out here and haven't given out a penny since then in the two years they've been open. When my fiance was working there and broke his leg, they told him he would have to wait until he could come back full time and do the job he was doing when he got hurt, because they just couldn't be accomadating, because if they did it for him, they would have to do it for everyone.

Maybe in your community, but not here. They gave out $10,000 on the day they opened when the tv stations all came out here and haven't given out a penny since then in the two years they've been open. When my fiance was working there and broke his leg, they told him he would have to wait until he could come back full time and do the job he was doing when he got hurt, because they just couldn't be accomadating, because if they did it for him, they would have to do it for everyone.

Each Wal-Mart has a charity budget that they are allotted to give out based on their store volume. If the store isn't giving it out, they would have been addressed by their regional management. They probably are giving it out, just without the cameras. And as far as the broken leg goes, I used to work with several different stores as a supervisor for student workers, and many different retail stores would have done the same thing because if he would have reaggrivated the injury, it would have been worker's comp. It doesn't make it any easier for you to pay your bills, but I have had people have the same thing happen to them in many different stores, not just Wal-Mart.

And as far as the broken leg goes, I used to work with several different stores as a supervisor for student workers, and many different retail stores would have done the same thing because if he would have reaggrivated the injury, it would have been worker's comp. It doesn't make it any easier for you to pay your bills, but I have had people have the same thing happen to them in many different stores, not just Wal-Mart.

The issue I had was that they said they couldn't help him because then they would have to help others, but I saw for myself when I was working there the exceptions the manager made for 3 women, 2 who were hurt on the job, and one who broke her leg and hip in a motorcycle accident. He put them doing desk stuff so they could still work. I think it had something to do with him being a him and not a her.

The issue I had was that they said they couldn't help him because then they would have to help others, but I saw for myself when I was working there the exceptions the manager made for 3 women, 2 who were hurt on the job, and one who broke her leg and hip in a motorcycle accident. He put them doing desk stuff so they could still work. I think it had something to do with him being a him and not a her.

You know companies in general are scared of that...hims are not as scary as hers...I have seen that time and time agagin. I think that was more than likely an idiot manager being terrified of meeting the EEOC. nevermind the fact that it's just as discriminating the other way around....

I like walmart... I interned at a company that supplies their produce but its not that they're driving small companies out of business, they're real cut- throat with big corps too.

They play hardball to get you the lowest prices. Where is most of their product coming from you ask? Well its not the US, but rather China. China is one of the major exporters to Wal-Mart, they suggest that to stay competitive and get the prices to where WM wants them that you move your operations to china.

Just ask Rubbermaid what happens if you say "we cant make it for this price let alone sell it for that."

Its not a big deal where the product comes from but many manufacturing jobs are headed overseas because of the need to satisfy low prices for walmart.

Thats not bashing/supporting what walmart is doing just some info for ya.

If you dont believe me google it and find out for yourself :yup:

Our WM is in the newspaper almost every month giving to a local charity. I think that is great. I'm not sure who decides where or who they give to, but here they give alot. I think as far as the job/work grievances, most people can say alot of that about their jobs. I have never had the perfect job where everything is done like I would like for it to be done. I have had to work overtime when I didn't want to and didn't get to when I needed to but that wasn't at WM. I also had to start out at a low pay rate and work my way up, and the benfits weren't all that great when I finally worked my way up to get them. JMHO

It's not just Wal-Mart doing this. Let's see, last week for instance HP and Intel let it be known they were doing away with retirement benefits. Delphi, Intel and Microsoft are opening call & production centers in India. Car manufacturers are moving overseas, case in point GM closing US plants just to turn around and open them back up overseas. Delphi has said if the unions doesn't accept the $12.00 an hour pay plus benefits they are shutting plants down here. Why you ask? It's simple economics. The unions have been strong arming these companies for years and the companies are starting to fight back. The unions don't understand why Wal-Mart employees continue to vote down joining the union, well if you want to lose your job due to Wal-Mart closing the doors then go ahead. Wal-Mart was built on the premise of the lowest price, with unionization that would not be true any longer, Wal-Mart would have to raise thier prices, Sam Walton would turn over in his grave.

I will say that when the unions were formed they were for the benefit of the little guy, that isn't true any longer. The fat cats that sit around in an office negotiating; call for a strike and continue to recieve thier big fat salary, while the little guy out there walking a picket line is barely getting enough cash to feed his family. All for the greater good? I think not unless you are a fat cat union guy. Now I might change my mind if the union fat cats took a pay cut while the strike was going on...NAH, that ain't gonna happen.

I will continue to shop at Wal-Mart or anyplace else I choose too, that's what is so wonderful about our country we have the right to makechoices. :rwb: :rwb: :rwb:

Ok, the newspaper here is also saying a lot of negative things about walmart, this follows a recent viewing of the negative movie about wal-mart mentioned above. This has not stopped people from shopping there, including myself. I'm sorry for any small businesses out there who may be hurt by having less fpot traffic but I have to shop where I can afford the most for my family.

As for unfair wages and overpriced benefits I have to say that all service jobs (or almost all) have these same issues. There are very few jobs one can get with no education that would pay well and provide a great benefit package. Walmart is not the only offender here. I live in a town of upscale botiques and I know that the kids who work there are paid equal to what walmart would pay and they do not have any benefits offered to them. It's easy to take aim at Wal-Mart because they are such a huge sompany and many of their business practices are public record but do not forget that small businesses suffer the same employment issues.