How early will stores open this year

vchristianman

Every year stores seem to be opening earlier for black Friday. How early do you think the stores will open this year. Last year I think Walmart started their black Friday sale at 8:00pm on thanksgiving and kmart had three different sales: Thanksgiving day 6:00am-4:00pm. 8:000pm-3:00am and black Friday kmart opened at 5:00am for another round of door busters. Do you think stores will open even earlier this year?

It's just going to become Black Week at some point :(

I've said and I stand by I refuse to give up my family time and Thanksgiving day so I'm pretty sure we will never get Doorbusters again. On the bright side it was much easier for us to shop last year we went out our normal times and walked into most every place lol

• Like 5

I think most stores will stay with their start times from last year...I used to leave around 7-8 to get to the stores for the midnight sales...not leaving earlier than that. Only reason I went out last year was for the 65 inch @ Sam's Club. I think DH & I left our house around 2:30am. Everything else was purchased online and then I went out for a few things later on Friday.

Having moved to a much larger city last year and then losing my job exactly one week before BF I wasn't into shopping as much as I normally am.  Now that I am familiar with the area more (and have a job after almost a year - yea!) I may venture out more if only for the entertainment value, which is what I like best about BF.

I would expect opening times to be about the same but I'm not going to rush for things.  If it's there when I get there then it's meant to be; if not, oh well.

And I will NOT stand in line at Best Buy no matter how much DH begs. :P

As in every year, I really hope they don't open up any earlier than what they did last year.  I think its soon gonna be ALL the stores opening up regular time on Thanksgiving Day.  It will no longer be a holiday for those employees.  Its not fair for them, but I understand when you need a job, you need a job.  I wish all the stores would wait until atleast 4am to start opening up. 

• Like 4

Here in MA the stores are pretty much stuck to the midnight or 1 AM opening die to blue laws here.  I hate to say it but I wish the state ( gulp I can't believe that I am saying this) would require the stores to return to the 4 or 5 am openings.  

I typically sit in Walmarts line with my best friend and doze on and off until 3 or 4 am.  Last year @ Walmart there were protests at many stores and the way my store had the line behind the steel barriers, I couldn't fall asleep because I was worried a disgruntled employee was going to crash their car into the line and crush us all.  ( OK I get that is a little much, but I worry about things like that even though I am aware they can be silly).  As a result I didn't get the typical snooze I would ordinarily get and then with all the stores opening at 12 am or 1, my body hit the "we are too tired to function behind the wheel" wall at like 9am...... threw off the whole day.  UGH.

I really hope they go back to the traditional openings at 4 or 5.  But I think I am in the minority.

• Like 2

I'm beginning to wonder if the stores will get to where they don't close at all. Doesn't affect us much though. Hubby always has to work Thanksgiving so we don't really do anything special on the exact day anyway. Last year was a bummer because I got really sick. Tried to do it anyway but only went to Walmart. Luckily, my brother was with me so he was able to hold my place in line all the times I had to go throw up. Finally gave up after getting the main item there.

The earlier openings worked out great for me. I went out about 7am. Everything was peaceful and I found everything I wanted on the list. I have changed my strategy by using the internet more and the stock checkers were accurate. I think the stares will keep the same times as last year. Can't wait!!!!

• Like 1

I have been really sick this year so money and energy are less than normal and with 5 kiddos, 3 gkiddos and other family I have to be thrifty. I hope they put the times back to at least 12 so I can come home from dinner, take a nap and then head at about 10, but I truly doubt it.  Last year I came home early, changed clothes, got the kiddos in the car and left around 5.  People around here start lining up really early.  My daughter was 1st in line for computer, other daughter was 5 in line for nook and I was at the movie frenzy.  I got everything I wanted but at what cost? Please go back to 12.

last year I had to leave really early since we were at family's house 50 minutes away. This year I'm going to try to drive separately from Dh & the kids. I love to see my family but they are a little cra cra so I have no problem booking it early. We ate and stayed another hour or so and then left. I think I was going shopping by 5pm. It took a little bit to sync up with my other Bf peeps but it all worked out. I can warm up leftovers later & eat them if I want. We have enough for a week anyway. I don't want to see sales before 6 at Target or Walmart but it'll probably happen this year.

• Like 1

The earlier opening times are great for places like Best Buy. I have heard all of the complaints about thursday, but  realistically, we must move on from that unless online shopping is your thing.

Saturday is the new Thursday when it comes to having the family over for dinner. Once you make the change, your life will once again get used to this weekend strategy change. I enjoy looking over the spoils of Black Friday, with a hearty dinner as a reward!

• Like 1

The change to Thursday evening start times last year was a huge game changer for me. I wasn't going to go at all, but ended up heading out around 11pm just to see what was up. The lines were crazy, little kids and babies were everywhere and appeared worn out and tired, teens were wandering the mall, and the amount of drunk people was appalling. My family is full of traditionalists and there is NO WAY I could get them to move dinner from any other time OR day (Thanksgiving dinner is at 2pm on Thursday). I will not choose shopping over my family, and since I host, I am home until they leave.

Now, having said all that, my kids are teens and their wants are fewer and more expensive. Last year I ordered Ipods months before Christmas and gave them each just a few other things to open. This year I believe we are getting them a Playstation (haven't decided if we want to go for a 4 or 3), so BF will be a 'take it or leave it' event. I am quite sad over this! This was one of my special days! I spent the evening after dinner on the phone with my sil and we made our plan, took a nap, got up and headed out to stand in the cold (Michigan!!) while waiting for the doors to open.

I guess this year I will do my first online BF because I believe the early trend will continue.

Well I know for a fact the Belk Department store will open at 8:00 p.m on Thanksgiving night.  Last year they didn't open till Midnight.  It's a shame the employees can't enjoy a day off with their families.  I wish Black Friday would go back to the way it use to be and open at 5:00 am.  To me that was fun and exciting.  Now it's just not worth it much.

• Like 3

I HATE the stores opening early. Last year I just got up at 5am and shopped during the day, between that and online shopping I got almost everything I wanted. This year the bff will not be going away on vacation so I have my bf shopper buddy with me so we plan on sticking our normal shopping times and if we miss the doorbusters we will live! I cannot justify leaving my family super early on Thanksgiving to get in line for hours or support stores opening so early that the workers are stuck losing their time with their families and they get no choice about it...

• Like 3

It's just going to become Black Week at some point :(

I've said and I stand by I refuse to give up my family time and Thanksgiving day so I'm pretty sure we will never get Doorbusters again. On the bright side it was much easier for us to shop last year we went out our normal times and walked into most every place lol

Last year I went with SIL to get some doorbusters at Walmart for the 10pm sale.  ALL the doorbusters for ALL of the different times were opened.  People that came for the 12 AM doorbusters were shocked to see that it was already gone.  

Last year I went with SIL to get some doorbusters at Walmart for the 10pm sale.  ALL the doorbusters for ALL of the different times were opened.  People that came for the 12 AM doorbusters were shocked to see that it was already gone.  

You said it. I avoided Thanksgiving dinner at Walmart last year and got my first item(Brave) before they kicked us out at 8 for the re-entry. Everything was picked over and all of the other movies I wanted never materialized probably because they'd put out early too. Thankfully a coworker got me the other must have movies at Sams I'll be getting my memberships next week for sams and costco already have bjs.

You said it. I avoided Thanksgiving dinner at Walmart last year and got my first item(Brave) before they kicked us out at 8 for the re-entry. Everything was picked over and all of the other movies I wanted never materialized probably because they'd put out early too. Thankfully a coworker got me the other must have movies at Sams I'll be getting my memberships next week for sams and costco already have bjs.

Brave was one of the great deals and was fortunately available later in the day at my rural Walmart. I have had great success picking up the Bluray deals after my Best Buy trip.

I DO NOT like the early start time!  Sometimes I have to work on Thanksgiving and I have to get up  early to go into work, then it's dinner, after that it's the stores.  I was up literally 24 hours last year.  So going to have to change up my strategy a bit.  I think I am going to have someone navigate the online for me and maybe hit one or two stores, go home rest then get back-up for the rest.  I love being in the middle of the madness but last year it was a bit overwhelming for me.

As long as people are willing to give up their Thanksgiving traditions for the deals the times will start earlier and earlier. It's sad.

I LOVE getting great deals but I am not going to change or give up my Thanksgiving tradition to get those deals. I will still shop but at my own time.

• Like 1

I am not generally in favor of "blue laws," but I wish all states would pass a single blue law prohibiting stores from being open from midnight to midnight on Thanksgiving or from asking employees to work between 1:00 AM and 11:00 PM.  No business or jobs would be lost, it would just keep the day free of working and shopping for most people.  (Some stores such as pharmacies, convenience stores, and food stores could still open at least part of the day.

• Like 2