iPod touch: buy now or wait for Black Friday!?

mum2luke

We are taking our kids to Disney in Florida from Dec. 19 to Dec. 24th, but we still wanted to get them something for Christmas.  My son has wanted an ipod touch for years and thought this year I could get him that as his Christmas present.  Do you think I should buy now or wait for Black Friday?  4th Generation is fine and was only going to get him 8g.  Opinions would be greatly appreciated :-)

I would wait. Only because of the warranty. It'll start when it's purchased. Plus closer to Christmas there are usually better deals.

I agree - I waited until closer to Christmas last year not only for the warranty, but also because closer to Christmas many of them came with free Gift Cards (which I used as a gift for another member of the family.) It was a win-win situation. :)

It's not so much as the price, but you get other offers with the purchase. I bought one a couple of years ago on BF (for $195) and got a $50 GC. Why pay full retail and get nothing else. I'd wait.

Edited by bpr

I waited last year and got it when there was a Target gift card with the purchase of an Ipod (at Target). The only BAD thing was

Target was not offering the "insurance" one could buy at that time for the ipods so that came back to haunt me because my son

dropped his and now we have a cracked screen.  Grrrr. I should've bought the apple insurance.  Kicking myself.

I waited last year and got it when there was a Target gift card with the purchase of an Ipod (at Target). The only BAD thing was

Target was not offering the "insurance" one could buy at that time for the ipods so that came back to haunt me because my son

dropped his and now we have a cracked screen.  Grrrr. I should've bought the apple insurance.  Kicking myself.

You can also buy them from SquareTrade. I have used them in the past for my MacBook, when it broke and the cost to fix exceeded the value of the laptop they gave me back what I paid for the machine (I bought it used on eBay) which was awesome.

You can also buy them from SquareTrade. I have used them in the past for my MacBook, when it broke and the cost to fix exceeded the value of the laptop they gave me back what I paid for the machine (I bought it used on eBay) which was awesome.

I have Square Trade warranties on 3 iphones and a 3DS.

They also have coupon codes to bring the price of the warranty down.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I was getting 3 last year, I just went ahead and bought from the web site (5th gen, 32 g). It was worth it to me to skip the gift cards and have them in hand and not have to stalk some poor clerk at 3 am. (it was their "big" gift")  They had some good prices on the refurbs as well.

• Like 1

Since I was getting 3 last year, I just went ahead and bought from the web site (5th gen, 32 g). It was worth it to me to skip the gift cards and have them in hand and not have to stalk some poor clerk at 3 am. (it was their "big" gift")  They had some good prices on the refurbs as well.

I did the same thing!!! I bought 3 last year as well and it was worth not worrying about not finding enough for the kids to skip the gift cards. I bought 2 refurbs for the twins and a 5th gen for the big brother.

I did the same thing!!! I bought 3 last year as well and it was worth not worrying about not finding enough for the kids to skip the gift cards. I bought 2 refurbs for the twins and a 5th gen for the big brother.

Twins here too, though the girls are the big sisters and their brother benefits from them not wanting to share.