Help! Gift Idea

queenofshopping

I need ideas for a gift for my aunt...she lives in a hospital-type nursing home - she's fairly young (62) but cant walk or function much bc of severe arthritis

i usually get her basics like sweats, books, cds, etc, but im hoping to come up with something more original

bc of her living situation she has no extra floor space & limited wall/display space, so im at a loss (i had been thinking a photo collage frame with pictures of our family but not enough hooks for more frames on the wall)

any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Budget?

Do you have kids (I think I remember you saying you do?)? If so, you could make a photo collage of your kids/family on a quilt! I was thinking of something like this but allowing more pics (you probably could find it cheaper as well).

Good luck. It's nice of you to think of what she has room for. My Grandmother rec'd a lot of stuff she couldn't display because she didn't have the space in her room (hospital).

Budget?

Do you have kids (I think I remember you saying you do?)? If so, you could make a photo collage of your kids/family on a quilt! I was thinking of something like this but allowing more pics (you probably could find it cheaper as well).

Good luck. It's nice of you to think of what she has room for. My Grandmother rec'd a lot of stuff she couldn't display because she didn't have the space in her room (hospital).

Great link Alimfp.. I put that in faves.

It is hard to buy for when they have limited room.

A few years ago i bought my grandmother whos was in a Rehab type nursing home a beautiful bed jacket. I didnt think they even made those anymore. Half the time they didnt care if was was dressed of not so this was great nice pink cost me $20 at filenes.

My Great Aunt lived in a nursing home for years, due to space she couldn't really have a lot of things. We would buy her things like holiday socks, any holiday will do because they can be saved for later use. Inexpensive jewelry (things get lost sometimes) and lotions or soaps were always on the list for her. She also was given meal certificates to have food from local restaurants, someone would just go pick up the food for her when she was ready. Hope that helps some..... Sheli

My children's grandfather is also in a nursing home and we have the same situation. A couple of years ago I took a large basket and filled it with TONS of snacks. YUMMY ones. lol All packed in small packs, individual servings, etc. Cookies, candies, crackers, muffins, brownies, etc. He loved it! Whenever anyone came to visit he could offer them a snack. He would offer them to favorite caregivers, sometimes, too. And of course, he himself could enjoy them. If the menu for the day wasn't something he particularly liked he had back-up choices. lol He really did love it and told me so more than once. :)

Another year I had a friend make a photoshow and burn it to a cd/dvd of the grandkids (could be done with any family members). The nursing home has a room with a big tv and he was able to go watch it there as well as any of his friends. :)

Oh, thought of one more thing. I've never done this, but I've heard of others doing it. There are services that have beauticians that will travel to a nursing home to give the residents haircuts, hairsets, etc. and you can give a gift certificate for these services...

Oh, thought of one more thing. I've never done this, but I've heard of others doing it. There are services that have beauticians that will travel to a nursing home to give the residents haircuts, hairsets, etc. and you can give a gift certificate for these services...

I used to work in a nursing home and the residents LOVED this. We had several hairstylists that would come in and do haircuts, styles, manicures, etc. It was great and the residents felt wonderful afterward.

That's what I was going to say. Or you can get a service to deliver fresh meals to her. I gave a huge basket of Hickory Farms before. They attacked it like killer bees. Since she has arthritis, this site might help you. http://arthritis.about.com/od/assistivedevicesgadgets/

Guest outrbanx

Another year I had a friend make a photoshow and burn it to a cd/dvd of the grandkids (could be done with any family members). The nursing home has a room with a big tv and he was able to go watch it there as well as any of his friends. :)

Perfect! And I know a great place where you can get one at an excellent price! Click on the link in my signature. :D

Actually, a blanket is a great idea. I like the writing basket idea too. A foot bath, although I am not sure how much one benefits arthritis may be nice. Maybe a small fish tank?

How do you do this? Sounds like a great idea.

:)

They are so warm and cozy, and a great gift because you made it.

Select a fleece print and a cooridinating solid of about 2 yds. each

(I work on the floor) Lay the two pieces together down with the right sides facing out, you'll have to trim off uneven edges.

Cut a 4"x4" square off each corner, then cut 4" long strips about an inch apart along each of the four sides for tie/fringe.

Then proceed to tie each print/solid strip in a knot.

Vuala!! you have a beautiful handmade gift!!! :yelclap: