LAYAWAY is not a BF'ers Friend

badazzbuyer

Ok I admit I got a late start and didn't make my arrival to Walmart until 5:50am. Before I explain my post I want to say that Im not upset about not getting anything *HOT* at walmart because all I was after was the Dora TV/DVD combo but no big deal if I didn't get it because my kids are kinda outgrowing Dora. Here is my story

Me and my wife woke up late after getting to bed at midnight. We figured a brand new WM out in a small suberb and away from the richest folk of Columbus we would have a shot at getting at least something strolling in an hour late. As we make our way back to electronics to track down this dora tv/dvd combo I was amazed by the line of people with tons of electronics and other BF items in their carts. I figured this was a checkout line since WM likes to make u pay for things in that department. I noticed 2 $99 tv/dvd in 2 different carts being taken care of by 1 lady. I seen 3 yes 3 of the laptops in one guys cart. I was along the lines of good for them. I can hopefully have a chance at what I want.

I spent a few minutes hunting the electronics area for this Dora TV/DVD thing. When an employee came free I asked her where I could find this. She pointed toys. I make my way over and finally spot the area where they were selling this item. All the way back in the corner of the toys area. Stuff was thrown everywhere. I just looked at my wife when I didn't find any and said oh well the were getting too old for Dora anyways! Obviously this was a comment to make myself feel better. It worked actually.

Now back to that huge line that was wrapped from the back of the store in electronics around to automotive. I estimate it was 45 people deep. I found out this line was a line for Layaway! I was ticked. Not that i didnt get any BF items however it was the fact that people were "Gambling" on multiple BF items. I use the word "Gambling" because xmas layaway is just that. Your putting items away to pay on throughout the holiday hoping to have enough to get everything out. If you come up short walmart puts item back on shelf. The people standing in line was obviously from the *economically challenged* part of town. I vowed that I will never come to walmart on BF again because they allow this. Again let me say it's the fact they allow layaway on BF items. What other store does this? I think WM and KMart are only stores that still do layaway and I dont believe in this for these deals. If you have the money now, you get it now simple as that. Don't try to put 3 laptops in layaway, go home and post on ebay, get the money and then come get them out.

-Steve

Well I don't know what there story is with putting what they got on layaway but when I use to put things on layaway even if I had the money I would put it on there cause I have nowhere to hide it in my apartment. I wouldn't want my kids to find it so keeping it there until I got my tree ( I get a real one) would help me alot by keeping what I got them. Then I would go take it off wrap it while they were at school and they would never know.

I use layaway just for the same reason ryka. I put a big layaway in usually in Septemeber with most of my Christmas items. I usually pay the entire balance except for about $20 that way they have to store it and my shopping is done. If I miss out on BF deal so be it my stuff is already taken care of.

I take a little bit of offense to this post. I put approximately $1,800.xx worth of stuff on layaway in the past week at Walmart. Not because I HAVE to, but I have 5 children at home. It is just more practical. I have done this every year for the past 4 years or so -- and I have ALWAYS picked up my layaway. Not that it matters, but my husband and I are both professionals making good salaries -- we happen to both be living in different cities in rentals until I can find a house in his city and make the move (of course then I have to commute to work 55 miles, but oh well) -- we just don't have anywhere to successfully hide presents. Don't assume things...its not right.

I take a little bit of offense to this post. I put approximately $1,800.xx worth of stuff on layaway in the past week at Walmart. Not because I HAVE to, but I have 5 children at home. It is just more practical. I have done this every year for the past 4 years or so -- and I have ALWAYS picked up my layaway. Not that it matters, but my husband and I are both professionals making good salaries -- we happen to both be living in different cities in rentals until I can find a house in his city and make the move (of course then I have to commute to work 55 miles, but oh well) -- we just don't have anywhere to successfully hide presents. Don't assume things...its not right.

Understand I'm referring to multiple items being stowed in Layaway and all BF items. Also understand these people are from the hood part of town as i stated. Obviously the guy with 3 laptops had other intentions. Please read post thoroughly before posting comments.

At the SuperWalmart I went to...I was first in the layaway line...thank GOD. Because after they rang me out...they told the rest of the people there that...

#1. They had to wait til the people from electronics were rang out...seems they had to ring them out in layaway because that is where they had the computers at.

#2. That they could not put blitz items in layaway because the items would return to normal prices after 11am.

Understand I'm referring to multiple items being stowed in Layaway and all BF items. Also understand these people are from the hood part of town as i stated. Obviously the guy with 3 laptops had other intentions. Please read post thoroughly before posting comments.

Who cares what they are getting and why they are getting the items. If they want to sell the items on ebay and try to make a buck, so be it, that is there right, this is America. I do not use lay away very much, but, for someone to trash the ones that do, shame on you. After reading this post, I may start using lay away more, I never thought about the fact the gifts are hid at the store and the kids can not find them there, that is a good idea.

Talk about steriotyping, (however you spell it, not in the mood to look up spelling), these people are from the hood of town....Sounds to me like you are sore that you missed out on your dora tv, even though they are outgrowing it, and since you are not from the hood, go and pay $60 more and get a set at regular price, you can afford it. I myself, got the spongebob tv/dvd set, and in Iowa, you could have come to that store at 10:30 and had your pick dora, or spongebob.

So do not bash the ones using lay away, they all have their reasons, and as to wal-mart and K-mart letting people put BF items on lay away, they do it for a reason, they make money on still selling the items, the rate is high that most poeple pay for the items, and if they do not, on BF items, they put it back on the shelf and get more money for the items, it is a win win situation for wal-mart. lay away is a money maker for the stores, if it was not, they would not do it, next time get up earlier if you want the BF items, everyone knows if you want an item, you better be up early as you never know what items are going to be the hot one

One of the reasons I use layaway is to have a handy place to hide items! Of course, I still have to hide them from the 15th to the 25th, but 10 days of hiding is way better than 2 months - especially last year when I had a trampoline on layaway.

I think it's unfair to assume these people were "gambling" on being able to pay for it - you don't know their situation.

I don't use layaway for BF, but I know several people who do. I'm wondering why you think the "economically challenged", as you called them, don't deserve any BF sales unless they can pay cash for it?!?!?! If WM lets them do it, so what?!?!? If you have ever been to WM before the sale starts you would know that things get really crazy at 5am. Not everyone can afford to just go and spend hundreds of dollars in a few minutes. Some people pay half down and wait for another paycheck to pay the rest. Like I said I don't do it because I have had bad experiences with layaway, being lost, damaged and such. I totally understand the reasoning of using layaway to hide the gifts. That's a great idea. If I didn't hide all of my gifts at my mom's house, I would definitely consider it because I can't hide crap from my kids here without them finding it!LOL

Do you know what I hate? People who assume. You know what assuming does don't you? Every year I put my blitz items in layaway as I have 3 kids and don't want to chance hiding them at home, where they may find them. With 3 kids, sometimes blitz is the only time that I can get a good enough deal to get 3 big ticket items at the same time. A gentleman I know also bought several of the desktops to donate to the local church, not to put on e-bay. He put those in layaway, so that he could give them to them at the Christmas service and he did not have a place to store them until then. And, on Blitz morning everyone looks like they are from the projects around here. I work in an office and normally go around in professional attire. But on BF I has on old jeans, tennis shoes and one of my husbands old sweatshirts. So, my suggestion would be not to assume. It only makes an a** of you and me.

Do you know what I hate? People who assume. You know what assuming does don't you? Every year I put my blitz items in layaway as I have 3 kids and don't want to chance hiding them at home, where they may find them. With 3 kids, sometimes blitz is the only time that I can get a good enough deal to get 3 big ticket items at the same time. A gentleman I know also bought several of the desktops to donate to the local church, not to put on e-bay. He put those in layaway, so that he could give them to them at the Christmas service and he did not have a place to store them until then. And, on Blitz morning everyone looks like they are from the projects around here. I work in an office and normally go around in professional attire. But on BF I has on old jeans, tennis shoes and one of my husbands old sweatshirts. So, my suggestion would be not to assume. It only makes an a** of you and me.

I would like to give you a big :yelclap: and a :howdy: off to you for this. I just recently had a baby and want to give her a first good christmas and still be able to buy my family a good christmas, so I had to put 5 of her things on layaway ( now understand I didn't put any of my BF items on layaway) but I have to give my mom my paychecks for the next three weeks so that I could have cash to buy the rest of my family's christmas. I also know that I will be putting her stuff on layaway for years to come because it is a good way to hide it.

I have to say I agree about not assuming. I work for the local Wal Mart. They have always allowed you to put BF things on layaway (they did limit the amounts on some things, like the laptop to one per person). I put my purchases on layaway because, as they all said, it's a great hiding place and because my husband will be going to Denmark and Germany (work) for two weeks. He needed the extra cash now. I will be picking up our layaway later this week.

I would also like to add that assuming is one of the most ridiculous things you can do. The lady behind me had her husband in line behind her and they called their DD who got in line behind them. Reason? Because they wanted a latop for themselves, the wife got it. Theywanted to give the hubby's mother who is disabled one for a gift, the hubby got it. The DD wanted on for college, she got her own. So, someone might get mad because they had three. Three people purchased seperately, they went to three houses for three different people. And those three people got in line behind me and stood there from 10pm til 5am for them. They deserved to have them.

Isn't the reasoning behind layaway so you can get it at the sale price, but take longer to pay? I have only used it twice and that was becuase something was a great deal but I didn't have the money right then for it all, so I put it on layaway, paid the minimum and then came back every two weeks to make payments. I think it's a great idea for those who don't have the money to spend right then, but we're basically guaranteed the item at the sale price. Whether these people were putting them in layawy to sell on ebay, or for their family, oh well! These stores have layaway for a good reason and I'm glad they are there!

I use the word "Gambling" because xmas layaway is just that. Your putting items away to pay on throughout the holiday hoping to have enough to get everything out. If you come up short walmart puts item back on shelf. The people standing in line was obviously from the *economically challenged* part of town. I vowed that I will never come to walmart on BF again because they allow this. Again let me say it's the fact they allow layaway on BF items. What other store does this? I think WM and KMart are only stores that still do layaway and I dont believe in this for these deals. If you have the money now, you get it now simple as that. Don't try to put 3 laptops in layaway, go home and post on ebay, get the money and then come get them out.

I am SO offended at this!

Granted, our WM doesn't allow Blitz items on layaway. If they did, I would probably have bought more than I did. Why? I am what you referred to as *economically challenged*. I have 2 kids, I work my tail off and I try my hardest to give them a good Christmas. I can't afford to buy the Spongebob TV and DVD Player at full price. If I could, I would have done it a long time ago. I would have loved to get a laptop but it wasn't in the budget. My budget didn't consist of much but when my kids open up the few presents they are going to have on Christmas, they will have smiles on their faces. THAT'S what's important.

Don't look down on the *economically challenged* people...you could become one quicker than you could ever imagine.

It's sad when people are so hung up on an image. You will never know your own destiny!

I use layaway as far as being able to hid things a little longer from the kids. I agree with blueyedgirl78 as being offended at this post. It was not too long ago that I was divorced mom of two kids. I worked two jobs to provide for my family and it was being able to put things on layway or the BF blitz that got me through being able to provide things for the kids birthday or christmas as their father had no part in their life. ...

Now I am remarried and things are not the way it was.. I do not have to work two jobs. The *economically challenged* people are the ones he need items on the BLITZ to see their childrens eyes light up at christmas, and this maybe the only way they are able to do this and not asking for a handout of sort.

AS you may not be *economically challenged* in these days nothing is guaranteed so one day you may also be one of the economically challenged people.

Now, I do belive that WalMart or any store should have set the one laptop & one desktop per/person limit if they were only going to have 15 pieces of the items.

I have 2 layaways right now. It's not that I can't afford to get them out... I can.

It's alot easier to leave it at WM until Dec. 15th instead of having my son tearing up everything trying to find it. :D

I see nothing wrong with layaway. I think it's a great service that WM offers.

Heck, I laid away 24 Season 3 on dvd on Thanksgiving Day and went back on BF and got it out pricematching it with BB. And it didn't bother me one bit. :g_thumpsu :g_thumpsu :g_thumpsu :g_thumpsu

I use layaway as far as being able to hid things a little longer from the kids. I agree with blueyedgirl78 as being offended at this post. It was not too long ago that I was divorced mom of two kids. I worked two jobs to provide for my family and it was being able to put things on layway or the BF blitz that got me through being able to provide things for the kids birthday or christmas as their father had no part in their life. ...

Now I am remarried and things are not the way it was.. I do not have to work two jobs. The *economically challenged* people are the ones he need items on the BLITZ to see their childrens eyes light up at christmas, and this maybe the only way they are able to do this and not asking for a handout of sort.

AS you may not be *economically challenged* in these days nothing is guaranteed so one day you may also be one of the economically challenged people.

Now, I do belive that WalMart or any store should have set the one laptop & one desktop per/person limit if they were only going to have 15 pieces of the items.

I think you guys are getting this all wrong. I was pointing out people taking advantage of BF items and layawaying 2-3-4 of same items. Lets get real here, its one thing to use it to hide gifts etc. It's another to do it for complete greed and that was the subject of my post. Taking 2,3.4 of care bears and stowing them in layaway is one thing however do people really need that many laptops or 20" tv's? That's where i have an issue!!

Again i think you guys are taking this the wrong way.

Actually, I have 2 kids, so when I buy big stuff like TV's I usually buy 2 of them at a time. That was actually their Christmas present 3 years ago :D Last year, they each got a laptop, but they weren't the same. My daughter likes the little cute ones with the 12 inch screen and my son likes the monster big ones with the 15 inch screen.

I am taking it the way I read it, sorry if I misunderstood. But you were referring to the "economically challenged" and saying that you don't think they should be able to layaway BF items. You also said, "If you have the money now you get it, if not, you don't." I am simply stating that BF is the best time for people on a tight budget to get their presents and have a great holiday for their kids. If they need to put it in layaway, or just CHOOSE to, that's great! If you read my posts I also explained how someone I met NEEDED three laptops. They were paid for by three people to go to three houses. Again I think you are assuming. Your OP came off a little snobby and almost hateful. Again, if I misunderstood, I apologize.

I am SO offended at this!

Granted, our WM doesn't allow Blitz items on layaway. If they did, I would probably have bought more than I did. Why? I am what you referred to as *economically challenged*. I have 2 kids, I work my tail off and I try my hardest to give them a good Christmas. I can't afford to buy the Spongebob TV and DVD Player at full price. If I could, I would have done it a long time ago. I would have loved to get a laptop but it wasn't in the budget. My budget didn't consist of much but when my kids open up the few presents they are going to have on Christmas, they will have smiles on their faces. THAT'S what's important.

Don't look down on the *economically challenged* people...you could become one quicker than you could ever imagine.

It's sad when people are so hung up on an image. You will never know your own destiny!

Economically challenged is a term used for people that don't understand you have to work for a living! Not that they work their tails off for minimums. Your right it's all about the excitement of the kids when they wake up however you don't know what area I live in and the difference BF was vs. normal business days.

Let me ask you this. Would you be praising me for stuffing 4 xbox 360's in layaway?

Actually, I have 2 kids, so when I buy big stuff like TV's I usually buy 2 of them at a time. That was actually their Christmas present 3 years ago :D Last year, they each got a laptop, but they weren't the same. My daughter likes the little cute ones with the 12 inch screen and my son likes the monster big ones with the 15 inch screen.

I am the same way. With five kids, I am not being GREEDY when I buy five of something, I am saving myself alot of pain and suffering that I would have to endure if I brought one or two home.lol

Me and my 12 yr old son got to walmart at 12pm and stood in line for the laptops and did get 2 of the them. Yes we walked around the store with 2 and yes I was in layaway. I have 2 children and we waited 5 hours for them. I do not care what anyone thinks. We were 2 people and came early for what we wanted and got what we wanted. If I would have needed more I would have brought more people, because if you have more than 1 child you cant just buy one child a laptop. You have to be equal and fair. (in my opinion) If you dont like them getting items then you should have got there earlier to get yours. Somebody's financial issues have NOTHING to do with you and everybody should be treated as equals.

Now back to that huge line that was wrapped from the back of the store in electronics around to automotive. I estimate it was 45 people deep. I found out this line was a line for Layaway! I was ticked. Not that i didnt get any BF items however it was the fact that people were "Gambling" on multiple BF items. I use the word "Gambling" because xmas layaway is just that. Your putting items away to pay on throughout the holiday hoping to have enough to get everything out. If you come up short WalMart puts item back on shelf. The people standing in line was obviously from the *economically challenged* part of town. I vowed that I will never come to WalMart on BF again because they allow this. Again let me say it's the fact they allow layaway on BF items. What other store does this? I think WM and KMart are only stores that still do layaway and I dont believe in this for these deals. If you have the money now, you get it now simple as that. Don't try to put 3 laptops in layaway, go home and post on ebay, get the money and then come get them out.

Take it easy on the guy, he's obviously under the impression that he's psychic and knows exactly what every one of those people will be doing with all of their BF loot because he read their minds. :insane::sidesplit

Economically challenged is a term used for people that don't understand you have to work for a living! Not that they work their tails off for minimums. Your right it's all about the excitement of the kids when they wake up however you don't know what area I live in and the difference BF was vs. normal business days.

Let me ask you this. Would you be praising me for stuffing 4 xbox 360's in layaway?

What about the people that can't work for whatever reason. I am not talking about people that just refuse to work but people that are taking care of somebody and just can't work. I am one of the economically challenged people. I can't work because I have to take care of my son who is disable. I am a single mom and BF is a way to get my kids what they want and still be able to pay my rent. If I was getting a laptop or computer for my kids I would have got 2 cause each of my kids would have wanted one and if I chose to put it on layaway I don't think I should be judged.

You don't know their intentions either. People use different services for different reasons. Some have posted they use layaway because it's a great way to hide presents, and it is. Others use it so they can pay a little at a time, and others use it to hold the stuff until the next payday.

If the xbox 360's were on sale and you didn't have the money and put them on layaway, what's wrong with that? I don't get paid until the 30th...would I be wrong if I put them on layaway until I get paid on the 30th? No.

What exactly is the hood? Is this were people with less money than others live...then I guess I live in the hood too. I don't know what area you live in and it really doesn't matter. People are people whether they are rich or poor.