Shoplifting?

Ladybugpicnic

Ok, well I went to Walmart and got what I wanted and then some. Thank you BF Gods! LOL

But as I was checking out the cops were all over because someone was trying to SHOPLIFT. Bwahh ha ha ha Come on people. DUH. EVERY employee is there and a good 20+ cops. How in the world are you gonna shoplift?

I live on the outskirts of Chicago and we are one of very FEW close WMs. So we get EVERYONE from the hood at our store. The police had lined up their squad cars bumper to bumper barricading off the front so you had about 3 feet to pass thru to get to your car. It was a VERY smart move on their part. They needed to do that when we were in the over a mile long line so people didn't rush the front. But whatever.

Why in the heck would you try to steal stuff on BF? I mean, seriously...WTF?

They did a story about shoplifting on our news last night. Said that it happened more during the holidays - one, because people are desperate (broke, etc) and two, because the stores are soooo busy, that it's easy to pocket things due to the chaos going on around you.

But a JcPenney manager said that at their stores anyway, it's in empty changing rooms where people try it. The reporter then said that it's more employees of the co. stealing than customers themselves.

I don't think a lot of shoplifters realize who this hurts - everyone (including them!, even if they are not caught). Some people seem to figure big box retailers can eat $50 that these people steal.. but you multiply that by the millions that steal that measily $50 and it adds up of course. Businesses end up charging more and I could go on and on!

That is nuts, but I don't blame Walmart for calling for help to ward this crap off - very smart move as you said. :)

there was a special on "theft" and department stores on tv a couple years ago. The mentioned that on the busiest of days, they have a lot more people looking over the cameras for shoplifting. Normal people who don't shop lift all the time imagine that with the choas its easier to steal when there a ton of people wandering around. But the experienced shop lifter steals when the store is in down time, and no one is really paying attention.

There was a report about shoplifting on my local news last night and they gave some interesting statistics. The one that stuck to me was that store lose $23-25 million per day to shoplifters. Sounds unbelievable to me, not sure if maybe there was a typo somehwere? I tried to find the report on the news website but couldn't find it in the two minutes I looked for it. www.WPXI.com is the local station if you want to look for it.

Well, I don't think they could have done clothes or big ticket items or anything...but the small stuff like the cheap earrings in jewelry and stuff like that would have been easy to do at my SuperWalmart since they were supposed to be checking each persons bags but when I went thru(and I was like the 4th person out the door) he looked at the ticket looked at the bags, marked it yellow, and said have a good day.

I want yall to understand something, there is nothing in any store that I want that badly that I am gonna risk going to jail. What am I going to tell my children was the reason I am behind bars? The role models start at home and what kind would I be with my shiny new bracelets on while I am getting a free ride downtown.

At our WM the security alarms at the doors were going off non-stop and the guys were just marking reciepts and saying "Have a Nice Day". I guess it would be easy to steal something during that time if you purposely went in there to do so. I can't imagine having my wits about me enough to plot it out in the store and to manage being able to hide something on you without a million people seeing it.lol

The Forest Park store. I'm a few blocks away.

It was nuts.

I am from Chicago too, and i think the best Walmart to go are the burbs. But i think the the one in forest park is probably ALOT better than the one in Burbank. It a lot more chaotic there because its the closes one on the southside of chicago.

I don't know about BF, but I know Wal-mart has fake shoppers walking around, cause one day I spotted one!.............. I was looking at make-up, and I'm always digging in my make-up bag comparing colors or looking for color names,........... well one day this 18 yr old kid walks up and reaches for a nail clipper & file kit. A while later I thought that was kinda odd, I came around another aisle, and he was still walking the makeup dept. then kinda following me.........At one point I sorta backed into him, said excuse me and he refused to make eye contact w/me and stared at the makeup hung in front of him as he passed..............So obvious!!! I just chuckled, and thought, he assumed I might be slipping lipstick in my purse!!

I did tell the woman at checkout that he needs to be a little more obscure!