CC HP Desktop Problem - Wrong OS Installed

stlmapman

I bought the $549.99 HP Desktop (after rebates natch) at CC yesterday and just noticed after setting it up that it doesn't have Windows XP Media Center installed, just plain old Windows XP. Bear in mind, this PC was not on display and the ad stated clearly that it was supposed to have XP Media Center Edition pre-installed. I'm pretty disappointed because I like the computer otherwise but really wanted to use it as a DVR, etc. What should I do? Ask CC to give me a free Media Center software upgrade? Anyone else having the same issue or is it just me?

Thanks Alimfp for showing me this thread!

Yep, I'm pretty mad about this too, considering that the ONLY thing dh said he needed in a desktop was this OS.

Called Circuit City and of course, there is nothing they can do, it was an ad misprint, and Media Center has to be preinstalled by the manufacturer.

Come 9am I am calling Circuit City headquarters to gripe. Not that it will do any good (except make me feel a tiny bit better)

I just spoke with someone from circuit city who said that the OS system installed in our pc bundles ARE media center, and that it will do everything that Media Center does. Can anyone tell me if he is just trying to run me in circles?

And if he is off-base, how can I tell?

Thanks in advance!

I just spoke with someone from circuit city who said that the OS system installed in our pc bundles ARE media center, and that it will do everything that Media Center does. Can anyone tell me if he is just trying to run me in circles?

And if he is off-base, how can I tell?

Thanks in advance!

Right-click My Computer->Propeties

What does it say for the OS?

Edit: If you can't get this resolved through CC, there is free software out there that'll do basically the same thing as MCE.

Thanks Mugs, and hmbre97. My dh told me the same thing about the properties tab, and it is indeed XP home.

I'm a little annoyed that my CC store is lying to me about it. Corporate said that the local store needed to do something about it, but now I'm going to contact corporate again.

K, let me know if you get anything resolved on this and I'll do the same on my end. I'm going to go into the store to talk to the manager this afternoon. I'm going to ask that they discount the purchase by the amount it costs to purchase the Media Center upgrade.

Stlmapman,

I am supposed to get a call from a supervisor at the Circuit City call center on Monday, so I'll let you know if I hear anything. Apparently none of the supervisors are there over the weekend. (I was on hold waiting for one for 87 minutes before someone hung up on me, and when I tried back got a gentleman who said they weren't even there)

I went back tonight to the Circuit City where I purchased the HP system. I went to Customer Service first, who told me to go talk to the manager of the computer department. He told me it was a misprint in the ad and unfortunately there was nothing they could do, although he did say I could return it. He also said that they had posted a sign about the misprint. Maybe they did later in the day, but there was no sign at 5am when I was there, the computer was not on display, and no employee there mentioned this fact to me. Anyhow, I told him this was unacceptable - that their ad constituted an offer, which I accepted by purchasing it. I explained that this was no different than if the ad had said the system had 1gb of RAM and it actually had 512mb.

Anyhow, I then went over his head and asked for the general manager and phone numbers for the district, region, and corporate. I also asked for their store number and started writing down names of employees I talked to. After waiting for the general manager for about 10 minutes, the computer manager and the general manager walked up together and offered to buy an OEM copy of the Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 online for me and will call me once it arrives later this week. I don't really know how they're allowed to do this, but I think it's an acceptable outcome.

That being said, I'm certainly going to make sure it's a licensed copy and not some pirated burned-at-home copy. Hope this helps.

Great deal -- that sounds like their taking care of it for you.

I'm sure it's not policy, and you definitely are getting special treatment, so I would certainly make sure they know how much you appreciate what they are doing to correct the mistake (maybe tell their bosses too!).

Had the same problem with just XP, no MCE on my HP. Had my first talk with CC today and they told me that there is no way to upgrade to MCE from XPHome - it has to be total BIOS install from factory.... He mentioned something about "swapping" to another. Needed to head back home and do another total system search to be sure MCE wasn't anywhere to be found (it wasn't). Will be heading back in soon to find out what the "swap" offer is.

Hmm, and I was disappointed that there was no second drive in second bay...

Had the same problem with just XP, no MCE on my HP. Had my first talk with CC today and they told me that there is no way to upgrade to MCE from XPHome - it has to be total BIOS install from factory.... He mentioned something about "swapping" to another. Needed to head back home and do another total system search to be sure MCE wasn't anywhere to be found (it wasn't). Will be heading back in soon to find out what the "swap" offer is.

Hmm, and I was disappointed that there was no second drive in second bay...

what a load of crap, they said that to you, go in and say do i look like a moron you cant install an os from the bios lol:sidesplit that is funny though

My store had no idea what I was talking about when I first called them, so it was obvious that they didn't know about the misprint in the ad and didn't have a sign up or anything.

When I first talked to them, they didn't know what XP Media Center OS even was, and told me they had no computers with that installed. Fast forward to yesterday when their circular comes out with at least four computers listed with that OS.

So, after calling everyone in creation, I finally talked to someone who would give me what I wanted. I returned the BF HP bundle (no restocking fee) and got the HP a1230n instead. It was $799 after rebates, but I got $100 off for my trouble. :g_thumbri

So I am finally satisfied with Circuit City's handling of this. Hope everyone else gets a satisfactory result from this fiasco! :)

quick question for those of you with this computer (It was the BF $550 or $600 HP with AMD64 3200 I think, lightscribe drive, 200 gig drive, 1 gig memory) . Does it have a PCI express graphic card slot or AGP? Reason I'm asking is my cousin bought this system and wants me to pick them up a graphic card but I can't see the computer to check for them. There's a sale on a card at newegg that expires today too. So AGP or PCIexpress? anyone anyone? :)

gaz

Seems CC just couldn't get any of their ads right! I purchased the 51" HDTV that they advertised had PIP (of course, it did not). I spoke with the corporate office (after having spoken to the local stores) and they gave me the "misprint" line, too. Take it as it is or return it was their bottom line. We kept it (already set up at home and I wasn't telling the kids the new tv was going back to the store!), but I'll never shop there again. BB's personnel and customer service dept. surpass CC hands down!