Reliability of 120GB Seagate rebate from BB.

PorBleemo

If Seagate does not honor the rebate, report them here:

[email protected]

"If you've been wronged by a PC vendor, send a full description of your complaint to the Watchdog. Please include your full name, home town, and telephone number. Letters may be edited for space and clarity. Due to the large amount of email we receive, we cannot personally respond to each letter."

-http://www.maximumpc.com/contact.html

Darn, so that means I can't get two drives for $40 a piece?

Are they on the same receipt or separate receipts? Did you pay with cash or credit card? Do you have a second address you can use? I don't know what lengths they go to to check on multiple forms per household... but if they were on the same receipt I doubt that'll fly.

they have a 5 yr warranty, so you should be good for a few years.

Yep.. exactly 5. :D

I prefer Seagate. If they have the balls to offer a 5 year warranty with my abusive nature of torture to them (HDTV capture + transcoding + editing + everything else at once) they are allright in my book. I am constantly reading and writing to my drives. I can kill a Western Digital drive in a year this way. 3 for 3 so far!

I could have everything done seperately except for the rebate address. It's a bummer as I was hoping to setup a RAID 1 array.

Do you have an address at work you could use? Or a friend you'd trust to actually give you the rebate check when it arrives? :)

Yep.. exactly 5. :D

I prefer Seagate. If they have the balls to offer a 5 year warranty with my abusive nature of torture to them (HDTV capture + transcoding + editing + everything else at once) they are allright in my book. I am constantly reading and writing to my drives. I can kill a Western Digital drive in a year this way. 3 for 3 so far!

The 5 year warranty was a good selling point when I bought my 300 GB for $79.99 AR. :) I've had a few hard drives die (Maxtors and WDs), probably due to cooling issues in my case.

If Seagate does not honor the rebate, report them here:

[email protected]

"If you've been wronged by a PC vendor, send a full description of your complaint to the Watchdog. Please include your full name, home town, and telephone number. Letters may be edited for space and clarity. Due to the large amount of email we receive, we cannot personally respond to each letter."

-http://www.maximumpc.com/contact.html

Thanks! Good info to have at the ready. I bought my $29 200gb seagate at CUSA (mad house) and it had 3 seperate rebates. In address to reliability, I haven't had a seagate drive since I purchased my 1st "1gig" in conjunction with win95 and it failed after about a 1 yr. This yr I bought a 200gb seagate and a 200gb maxtor so I'll run them together and see which last the longest. I've bought drives from several different brands and the only one I haven't had fail me is WD. I'm sure others will tell you different, just make sure back up your info and send it back if you have problems. :)

Best Buy took a step backwards this year. Last year was a 160GB Western Digital and this year it is a 120GB Seagate for $29.99??? I went to Staples and got the Maxtor 200GB for $29.94 AR.

Yea, I was quite dissapointed in this. Did they not think we would notice, sheesh. You could have gotten a 160GB SATA drive for 10$ less or a 200GB drive for the same price, ridiculous.

i've heard nothing but bad things about maxtor, but then IBM had the "deathstar" HD's for a while. it's so hit or miss.

i have a 45gig WD that's still ticking after 6 years. not one failure. my 200gb WD from a year ago failed (but that was probably due to bad RAM)

nothing but raves so far for seagate, plus they're speedy about their rebates.

Guest lolwtfbbq

lol, seagates make the best quality hds :D, with a distant second by WD.

Just be sure and stay away from Maxor.

so true... seagate makes great hard drives. western digitals are a little iffy, ive had a few crap out on me. maxtors ALWAYS crap out on me. EVERY TIME. ive never had a maxtor last longer then a year.